PDA

View Full Version : Tranny slipping.. Any good products to help??

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Well heres the deal .. I'm looking at buying a 07 civic si .. The car i have now is a 2002 diamante vr-x , and the tranny is slipping a lil bit stil.. So the last thing i want to do is go up to the dealer to get my car appraised, after waiting months for this civic to come in and have the test drive mess up..

A few months ago i used a tranny fix that the guy at advanced auto swore by.. It did nothing .. ( I was going to use Lucas oil Transmission fix, But he swore by the crap that did nothing )

So heres where im at.. If i use the lucas oil tranny fix now , will it go against the other brand thats in there now or will i be good?.. Cuz like i said after all these months and waiting to get that car the last thing i want is for them to say " Yea.. Um your tranny is *****..

i3abyjay25
08-05-2006, 11:47 AM
my trasmission is also slipping, i changed the fluid and the filter and added 2 qts of lucas. it helped out for about 2 days.... theirs something else they make thats is suppouse to be thicker than lucas and work a lil better. you may want to try it...

LoudCrownVic
08-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Drain the fluid, install a new filter, fill with new, reputeable fluid. Not the cheapest stuff. This will typically help most ttransmissions immesnely.

Pour in a can of SeaFoam TransTune, and if you can find it, an additive called "GM Rear Differential Quieter" This is a trick used car salesmen use on tranny's that are nearly going out. Usualy, if neither transtune nor the Quieter help, the tranny is near faliure.

Also you can buy some nice ceramic magnets or something and stick them to the bottom of your ATF pan (on the inside) to pick up stray metal particles and extend the fluid life under the heavy wear.

Hope this helps, I have no experience with Lucas Tranny Fix stuff.

espguitarist91
08-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Mines slipping too, and isnt even drivable anymore. Ive tried the bottled stuff and none of it helps. :crap: If you find a good one, it may help temporarily.

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Drain the fluid, install a new filter, fill with new, reputeable fluid. Not the cheapest stuff. This will typically help most ttransmissions immesnely.

Pour in a can of SeaFoam TransTune, and if you can find it, an additive called "GM Rear Differential Quieter" This is a trick used car salesmen use on tranny's that are nearly going out. Usualy, if neither transtune nor the Quieter help, the tranny is near faliure.

Also you can buy some nice ceramic magnets or something and stick them to the bottom of your ATF pan (on the inside) to pick up stray metal particles and extend the fluid life under the heavy wear.

Hope this helps, I have no experience with Lucas Tranny Fix stuff.

Thanks for the help.. Anywhere you know of that i can get Transtune or the Quieter
? It sounds like a real sh!tty thing to do ( temp fix) But Obviously the guy who did it to me did nt give a ***** since it went from perfect , to a perfect slip in 2 days.. ( maybe 100 miles ) .. And after all the bad luck ive had with cars.. I dont even care anymore

But about changing the fluid/filter.. Its been such a mixed discussion.. Ive heard ppl/ tranny shops and very good shops say .. DO NOT change your fluid if your tranny is already bad.. BAsicially its like putting hot boiling water into a cold glass.. It isnt ready for that kind of a shock at that point, especially if there is a problem internally already

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Mines slipping too, and isnt even drivable anymore. Ive tried the bottled stuff and none of it helps. :crap: If you find a good one, it may help temporarily.

People have swore that Lucas oil Transmission fix helps on MILD slipping trannys... Have you used it yet?

vetkilr
08-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Thicker viscoscity will help as it will raise tranny pressure thus make it shift firmer and such.

LoudCrownVic
08-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help.. Anywhere you know of that i can get Transtune or the Quieter
? It sounds like a real sh!tty thing to do ( temp fix) But Obviously the guy who did it to me did nt give a ***** since it went from perfect , to a perfect slip in 2 days.. ( maybe 100 miles ) .. And after all the bad luck ive had with cars.. I dont even care anymore

But about changing the fluid/filter.. Its been such a mixed discussion.. Ive heard ppl/ tranny shops and very good shops say .. DO NOT change your fluid if your tranny is already bad.. BAsicially its like putting hot boiling water into a cold glass.. It isnt ready for that kind of a shock at that point, especially if there is a problem internally already

The Quieter is a GM goodwrench official part... IDK where to get it you might have to get it through a GM dealer's parts counter.

Transtune is carried at Advance Auto parts and wal mart even.

Changing you fluid and filter is GOOD becuase if your tranny is "slipping" you might have a plugged or compromised filter, which in turn would slow the transfer of fluid and make shifts take longer or delay them completely until pressure can build. Plus if it's already plugged making it thicker will make it worse.

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Thicker viscoscity will help as it will raise tranny pressure thus make it shift firmer and such.

So what are you suggestion i do... Like i said at this point i really dont care.. Ive had such crappy luck with cars i just want a new one.. So hopefully my problems go away.. Mine doesnt slip all the time.. its weird.. Its either under low rpm shifting or when its under pressure shifting gears... But there is no "set time it slips... Sometimes not at all.. If i can get it to be perfect for a 10 minute test drive , thats all i want

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 12:20 PM
The Quieter is a GM goodwrench official part... IDK where to get it you might have to get it through a GM dealer's parts counter.

Transtune is carried at Advance Auto parts and wal mart even.

Changing you fluid and filter is GOOD becuase if your tranny is "slipping" you might have a plugged or compromised filter, which in turn would slow the transfer of fluid and make shifts take longer or delay them completely until pressure can build. Plus if it's already plugged making it thicker will make it worse.

Ok i got ya.. But as far as just putting in a fluid or fix you dont recommend it? .. Last thing i want is to make it worse

espguitarist91
08-05-2006, 12:21 PM
People have swore that Lucas oil Transmission fix helps on MILD slipping trannys... Have you used it yet?
Not that, i might try it but i think its useless for me now. Ive tried transmedic and some other one, i forgot. I added them after i changed the fluid and filter too. Itll probably help you out a bit.

bibby
08-05-2006, 12:28 PM
It sounds like a real sh!tty thing to do ( temp fix) But Obviously the guy who did it to me did nt give a ***** since it went from perfect , to a perfect slip in 2 days.. ( maybe 100 miles ) .. And after all the bad luck ive had with cars.. I dont even care anymore
It's a car lot dude, trust me, i worked at one, **** them, they have all the money they could ever need. a little tranny spaw/rebuild, and they wont even notice the little bump in their acct.

espguitarist91
08-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Are you talking about just changing the fluid? Or a flush? Most say never to flush your tranny because most shops wont clean the machines very well. People get the tranny flushed as a final hope for it, so the tranny hooked up to that machine last was probably about to die and had lots of crap in the fluid. That can be trandferred into yours depending on the situation and shop.

vetkilr
08-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Sounds computer related

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Are you talking about just changing the fluid? Or a flush? Most say never to flush your tranny because most shops wont clean the machines very well. People get the tranny flushed as a final hope for it, so the tranny hooked up to that machine last was probably about to die and had lots of crap in the fluid. That can be trandferred into yours depending on the situation and shop.

Ok .. this might be what im missing.... I was assuming that a tranny flush was the same as changing the fluid and filter.. Maybe it was the flush i was told not to do... I think because while flushing it it might remove something in the internal parts of the tranny.. Im not exactly sure , so any one who knows if ya could let me know it would be a big help..

What do most of the tranny shops do anyways flushes? All i know is that if im ever in need of an oil change quick the valvoline shop is always letting me know to get a tranny flush .. But theres a cold day in hell when i let them do that to this car.. THey did it to my last car (96 grand am gt ) and it was fine.. But with this tranny the way it is , its not gonna happen.. Unless i could blame them for the tranny if it blows 10 miles down the road :)

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Sounds computer related

Checked all programs off a snap on diagnostic.. Nothing..

bri487
08-05-2006, 02:48 PM
he, my tranny slips. 05 silverado. thank god for warrentys. never again will i buy a chevy until they do some drastic changes.

bigbangtheory
08-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I used the Lucas in my 85 cuttty when my tranny was slipping. Did that and rode perfect until the car was stolen. Then and only then I really wished I hadnt used that lucas. :( But I swear by it.

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Well i put something in there today.. I cant remember exactly what it was but , for the reports of his customers its better than Lucas, dont know why , thats all he said.. Also From earlier .. Everyone at first was telling me not to do a full tranny flush.. Well now this guy i saw today told me to do it.. Then just add the additive that he out in there today.. Yes .. No ????

LoudCrownVic
08-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Don't do a flush. Just change your fluid. Crack the nuts on the pan and let it drain, replace the filter, bolt her back up with a gasket, top off the drained fluid and you are on your way.

There will still be ~3 quarts of the old left in there and this "shock" they talked about wont occour. The fluid will basically mix together and result in cleaner fluid.

The reason a flush is generally a bad idea is the machine uses an unnatural flow of the fluid and tends to "pull" seals out of the tranny, especially on the older models where the seals are more fragile. They have to use clean fluid, clean fluid is pumped in while the old is pumped out. It has nothing to do with wheter they clean their machines or not. (this also means they waste 4-5 qts of fluid to get clean to come out) As long as the fluid is not burned smelling, thwere is no need to replace ALL of the fluid in the first place.

IMO dump in the snake oil stuff you bought once and see what it does... If you arent satisfied with the results, dump the fluid and try new fluid and some transtune at least.

Hope this helps.

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't do a flush. Just change your fluid. Crack the nuts on the pan and let it drain, replace the filter, bolt her back up with a gasket, top off the drained fluid and you are on your way.

There will still be ~3 quarts of the old left in there and this "shock" they talked about wont occour. The fluid will basically mix together and result in cleaner fluid.

The reason a flush is generally a bad idea is the machine uses an unnatural flow of the fluid and tends to "pull" seals out of the tranny, especially on the older models where the seals are more fragile. They have to use clean fluid, clean fluid is pumped in while the old is pumped out. It has nothing to do with wheter they clean their machines or not. (this also means they waste 4-5 qts of fluid to get clean to come out) As long as the fluid is not burned smelling, thwere is no need to replace ALL of the fluid in the first place.

IMO dump in the snake oil stuff you bought once and see what it does... If you arent satisfied with the results, dump the fluid and try new fluid and some transtune at least.

Hope this helps.

Yea thanks again man.. I just dont want to make it worse.. Cuz i really do want this new car.. New filter/fluid + additive/transtune and go from there.. The only thing that worries me also is this is a synthetic fluid and i heard that some trannys need special/ different additives.. ie. As in dont put a gm fluid/additive into a car like this.. ?? I'm not doubting you , but i just want to make 100% sure this isnt going to *** things up worse and end up costing me $3700:crap:

LoudCrownVic
08-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Yea thanks again man.. I just dont want to make it worse.. Cuz i really do want this new car.. New filter/fluid + additive/transtune and go from there.. The only thing that worries me also is this is a synthetic fluid and i heard that some trannys need special/ different additives.. ie. As in dont put a gm fluid/additive into a car like this.. ?? I'm not doubting you , but i just want to make 100% sure this isnt going to *** things up worse and end up costing me $3700:crap:

Well, I'd have to check with the car salesman i know who uses it, or find some of it for myself.

I've never HAD to use the GM stuff yet, new fluid and Transtune have always worked for me. My grandfather used it to great success with his Ford Windstar and it's a household item in the car dealership that's in my town.

Basically, use the stuff you have now, and if you still have problems, THEN dump the fluid + put in new. If that has no effect, try the additives.

Do you know what the condition of your transmission fluid is in? Is it red (good) or brown, even black (bad)? does it smell burnt? Does it have alot of metal particles (glittery and feels gritty)?

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Well, I'd have to check with the car salesman i know who uses it, or find some of it for myself.

I've never HAD to use the GM stuff yet, new fluid and Transtune have always worked for me. My grandfather used it to great success with his Ford Windstar and it's a household item in the car dealership that's in my town.

Basically, use the stuff you have now, and if you still have problems, THEN dump the fluid + put in new. If that has no effect, try the additives.

Do you know what the condition of your transmission fluid is in? Is it red (good) or brown, even black (bad)? does it smell burnt? Does it have alot of metal particles (glittery and feels gritty)?

No it looks pretty good for the most part.. A lil dirty (brown) no burnt smell or anything other than fluid is what it looks like.. To me it seems like it would be a stick somewhere .. valves or something.. If i do all this changing and additives and still nothing, that would make me think its a " hard " problem.. Meaning a crack in the metal / clutchplate...??? Which basically means to me .. sell this thing asap

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Heres a pic of it next to the civic ex i was 5 minutes from signing on... Then i changed my mind and wanted to order a si :)

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6182/viewphotoim5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

LoudCrownVic
08-05-2006, 10:38 PM
No it looks pretty good for the most part.. A lil dirty (brown) no burnt smell or anything other than fluid is what it looks like.. To me it seems like it would be a stick somewhere .. valves or something.. If i do all this changing and additives and still nothing, that would make me think its a " hard " problem.. Meaning a crack in the metal / clutchplate...??? Which basically means to me .. sell this thing asap

Aww, I love those Mitsubishis! Too bad she aint a stick, I'd be up there buying it from you.

Anyway, Automatic transmmissions are just that, automatic. If doing this stuff does not help it is likely there will need to be internal work done.

hzsogood
08-05-2006, 11:12 PM
2002 vr-x diamante FTL :(

1loudsuv
08-06-2006, 12:24 AM
your right dont change the oil or flush it. but it may help if you change it and it may hurt. theirs a risk either way. i put lucas oil treatment in mine it helped for a week but then it started doing it again. turns out it wasnt even the tranny it was a sensor. take it to aamco they will check it for free if theirs any near you. their the ones who told me what was wrong with mine costed me 70 to fix when other mechanics told me it was the tranny and it wasnt..

i was a mechanic for 4++ years and dont take any advice from anyone who isnt. its gonna cost you. even with my experience i had to take it to a shop to figure out wtf was going on. my truck uses synthetic transmission fluid we changed it and the filter. put 2 quarts of the lucas stuff worked for a week but then started acting up. we checked all the sensors and the tps acted funny once. but my other mechanic buddys swore it was the tranny but i knew it wasnt so i didnt have a scan machine to check everything. took it to aamco and they checked it and yes it was just a sensor.

could be you need a fluid change, could be you need to rebuilt/new tranny, could be a sensor. but why dump money on other things when you may not need them.

Pyro_By_Nature
08-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Too bad you don't know the dealer better.I has an infiniti G20 for about 1 1/2-2 years..In the end the tranny was slipping quite a bit.I went to a dealership where we've gotten our cars for quite a long time, and my mother knew the owner.

They gave me a more than fair amount for that thing without even test driving it, or really looking at it.Walked a quick circle around the car and that's it.Them seeing me pull up in it was good enough.Thank god they didn't testdrive it though.

hzsogood
08-06-2006, 01:46 AM
your right dont change the oil or flush it. but it may help if you change it and it may hurt. theirs a risk either way. i put lucas oil treatment in mine it helped for a week but then it started doing it again. turns out it wasnt even the tranny it was a sensor. take it to aamco they will check it for free if theirs any near you. their the ones who told me what was wrong with mine costed me 70 to fix when other mechanics told me it was the tranny and it wasnt..

i was a mechanic for 4++ years and dont take any advice from anyone who isnt. its gonna cost you. even with my experience i had to take it to a shop to figure out wtf was going on. my truck uses synthetic transmission fluid we changed it and the filter. put 2 quarts of the lucas stuff worked for a week but then started acting up. we checked all the sensors and the tps acted funny once. but my other mechanic buddys swore it was the tranny but i knew it wasnt so i didnt have a scan machine to check everything. took it to aamco and they checked it and yes it was just a sensor.

could be you need a fluid change, could be you need to rebuilt/new tranny, could be a sensor. but why dump money on other things when you may not need them.

Thanks man.. We have a aamco here so i'll try them.. But they did tell me over the phone that if the tranny was slippin already they wanted nothing to do with it :(

hzsogood
08-07-2006, 12:35 AM

But if it was a sensor, wouldnt a light come on ( check engine or something?) I didnt want to go to aamco because i was under the impression that most of the BIG companies dont do the quality work or have alot of the knowledge of alot of the smaller shops.. BUt if its free to go test it i'll do that first

hzsogood
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
How well does the dealer usually test drive.. I mean do they go through the car or just drive it to see if there s anything major or obviously noticable?

LoudCrownVic
08-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Well... Did you try that crap you bought?

hzsogood
08-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Well... Did you try that crap you bought?

Yea i did.. Its a little smoother in the shifting but its still there .. Hell at this point i'll just put some more of this stuff in there a few days before the trade in :) .. Maybe they wont notice it then.. I'm still going to aamco to get a few ecu and tranny tests run.. Another thing.. If i do that will it show up to my dealer or on a carfax if i brought it in to a tranny shop?

LoudCrownVic
08-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Yea i did.. Its a little smoother in the shifting but its still there .. Hell at this point i'll just put some more of this stuff in there a few days before the trade in :) .. Maybe they wont notice it then.. I'm still going to aamco to get a few ecu and tranny tests run.. Another thing.. If i do that will it show up to my dealer or on a carfax if i brought it in to a tranny shop?

Good question... Although if the problem is fixed... Why worry?

hzsogood
08-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Good question... Although if the problem is fixed... Why worry?

Well if i dont fix it at that shop.. Or at all they just tell me it was something internal, i think im screwed because i know they will take my VIN # either way.. So At the very least i hope it doesnt go to carfax

hzsogood
08-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Ok i heard this from a guy on another forum, but he said to put in a little bit of sawdust in with some fluid or additive.. Ive heard this before but it just sounds so bad to do, and like i said before i dont want to make it any worse

LoudCrownVic
08-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Ok i heard this from a guy on another forum, but he said to put in a little bit of sawdust in with some fluid or additive.. Ive heard this before but it just sounds so bad to do, and like i said before i dont want to make it any worse

Sounds like something they'd do in a cartoon or something.

atoz350
08-20-2006, 04:44 AM
I've tried that Lucas Tranny fix additive and I must say it works!! Only for a little while though. It may solve your problems until you take it to the dealer. When I used it, my tranny was pretty much toast, but it lasted about another 10,000 miles before it just gave up. It worked for me, as it gave me just enough time to save for a new tranny.