PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate on Infinity's?

klepto
08-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Where is there all the hate on Infinity speakers around this forum? I have heard from word of mouth that they are great speakers, just lack mid-range bass. Wont this problem be completly solved with some sub woofers. So whats the deal guys, why are you all not impressed with them?

ngsm13
08-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Because you ****.

nG

Fast1one
08-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Because you ****.

nG*They ;)

ravendarat
08-05-2006, 01:57 AM
I dunno, I bought two sets, one set of 6.5 components and one set of 5.25 and I made my own set of 6.5 / 5.25 / tweet set and they sound great

espguitarist91
08-05-2006, 01:58 AM
the subs are **** good, but cant say anything about the speakers.

sephiroth619
08-05-2006, 03:57 AM
When I was noob, I thought highly of Infinity. Purchased their Reference line was EXTREMELY disappointed. Not only was the sound horrible, they were by far THE cheapest feeling components I had ever had my hands on. Super low quality, I thought my stock speakers sounded better.

Couple months later I get a chance to demo their Kappa Perfects and thought they were decent. Mids were a muddy, tweeter was undetailed, unlikeable. They had nothing on my CDT HDs. I've since been through several components, CDT, eD, Crystal, Dyn, Orion, just to name a few. Again, the Infinity References were the crappiest set of speakers I had ever laid my hands on.

90accordman
08-05-2006, 04:01 AM
When I was noob, I thought highly of Infinity. Purchased their Reference line was EXTREMELY disappointed. Not only was the sound horrible, they were by far THE cheapest feeling components I had ever had my hands on. Super low quality, I thought my stock speakers sounded better.

Couple months later I get a chance to demo their Kappa Perfects and thought they were decent. Mids were a muddy, tweeter was undetailed, unlikeable. They had nothing on my CDT HDs. I've since been through several components, CDT, eD, Crystal, Dyn, Orion, just to name a few. Again, the Infinity References were the crappiest set of speakers I had ever laid my hands on.

i had some of the reference in an s10 i used to have and totally felt like the stocks sounded better

RumbleNTheTrunk
08-05-2006, 04:36 AM
I was impressed by the Basslink.

MBrock4u
08-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Honestly, I don't know why they are getting a bad rap. I used to own a pair of references, and just recently repalced a set of kappa's. I let my brother have those ref's and he is happy with them. Those kappa's I had sounded good, a little harsh, but it wasn't the sound I was looking for. Sound it subject to the personal taste. Want to hear speakers that **** go to Wal-Mart and get those wonder roadmasters!!

flakko
08-05-2006, 05:53 AM
infinity is a good company. i had a set of 3.5" kappas in the dash, and htey kept up with my infinity perfect VQ as well as my ported LI, so yea, the VQ had the biggest thump in the chest than any other sub i had.

ironchef b
08-05-2006, 06:02 AM
i was wondering the same thing too about hate on infinity's. yes the highs are a lil harsh & wouldnt the bass from the subs just drown out the mid range bass?
i just got a set of kappa components (prior to finding this site) & am i dissapointed.........no. but afterall i am a newbie & i dont have much references to what good & really god **** good **** sounds like.
i'd love to hear rainbows someday (i'm tired of seeing it............in the sky).

flakko
08-05-2006, 06:03 AM
^^^ how are they installed, did you seal the crap out of the doors? i heard a set of infinity coaxes in camry_tuners car and yea they ******

however I LOVE THE SUBS

SATX210
08-05-2006, 06:14 AM
Where is there all the hate on Infinity speakers around this forum? I have heard from word of mouth that they are great speakers, just lack mid-range bass. Wont this problem be completly solved with some sub woofers. So whats the deal guys, why are you all not impressed with them?
no, midbass and sub freq bass need to be bridged properly for a sonically appealing system.

ironchef b
08-05-2006, 06:19 AM
flako^^^^^i actually plan on applying sound deadening material sometime in the very near future. not to sure if i should just pick up dynamat here in hawaii or just be patient & order raamat. is dynamat that much more expensive? remember i'm in hawaii so shipping costs goes up drastically.

flakko
08-05-2006, 06:27 AM
flako^^^^^i actually plan on applying sound deadening material sometime in the very near future. not to sure if i should just pick up dynamat here in hawaii or just be patient & order raamat. is dynamat that much more expensive? remember i'm in hawaii so shipping costs goes up drastically.

i would wait on the raamat..... dynamats costs are ungodly, although i dont really know how much shipping would be to hawaii. also try putting modeling clay around the speaker to seal up the gasket/baffle that helps TREMENDOUSLY in my experiences.

ironchef b
08-05-2006, 06:33 AM
thanks for your input flako.
i've read from this site about modeling clay but i'm skeptical to add any more layering esp. directly behind the mid woofer because it's very close to touching the grille cover panel thingy.
btw its a 96 nissan 200sx se-r

flakko
08-05-2006, 06:48 AM
thanks for your input flako.
i've read from this site about modeling clay but i'm skeptical to add any more layering esp. directly behind the mid woofer because it's very close to touching the grille cover panel thingy.
btw its a 96 nissan 200sx se-r
true dat... wat i did for my friends car was like basically seal the gasket to the baffle using hte clay so theres no air leaks between the two, and it wont add any "layers" but it wont look that pretty hehe

FoxPro5
08-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Infinity makes the best of the crap IMO. For the price you can do MUCH better. But you have to listen to your speakers man...decide with your ears!!

luvinthebass
08-05-2006, 07:46 AM
do infinity speakers have nice highs?

klepto
08-05-2006, 08:06 AM
So lets see then. I need another set of 5x7/6x8 speakers to put in my car. I am gonna go with components int he front and coaxials in the front. I would preferer the same brand for both so they would have similar sounds.

A lot of you guys jock rainbows, but they are too expensive for my taste. I heard type R components have good midbass but got pretty cruddy reviews overallI just want some speakers with smooth tweets and decent midbass to complement my subs...i want my midrane to sound rich, OBVIOUSLY.

Price tag for me can be around 150-200 buks per pair. Let me know what you guys think.

SQBubble
08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
So lets see then. I need another set of 5x7/6x8 speakers to put in my car. I am gonna go with components int he front and coaxials in the front. I would preferer the same brand for both so they would have similar sounds.

A lot of you guys jock rainbows, but they are too expensive for my taste. I heard type R components have good midbass but got pretty cruddy reviews overallI just want some speakers with smooth tweets and decent midbass to complement my subs...i want my midrane to sound rich, OBVIOUSLY.

Price tag for me can be around 150-200 buks per pair. Let me know what you guys think.

polk momo's are for u .
very not-harsh sweet highs, very nice mid-range, warm sound, handle more than rated(they shine lot more if u give 'em more:D ), superior than infinity kappa IMHO, ive heard both, momo's have lot more potential and more enjoyable to hear
very nice for the money.

UndercoverPunk
08-05-2006, 12:38 PM
The more stuff I hear.... the less I like anything infinity that I'd had in the past.

klepto
08-05-2006, 01:15 PM
polk momo's are for u .
very not-harsh sweet highs, very nice mid-range, warm sound, handle more than rated(they shine lot more if u give 'em more:D ), superior than infinity kappa IMHO, ive heard both, momo's have lot more potential and more enjoyable to hear
very nice for the money.

I have looked at them in the past but the 6 1/2 components they have wont fit my doors, my doors be 5x7/6x8 :crap:

flakko
08-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I have looked at them in the past but the 6 1/2 components they have wont fit my doors, my doors be 5x7/6x8 :crap:

make a baffle, not hard to do

FoxPro5
08-05-2006, 03:09 PM

So are mine man....jigsaw + MDF = adaptor ftw!!

If I had to buy 5x7's I'd go with Boston Rally comps.

klepto
08-05-2006, 03:21 PM
So 6 1/2's will easily fit in the 5x7 hole eh? I was planning on building MDF baffles for my 5x7 anyways and using the soft non hardning clay ive been reading about. I guess this means i will have to tap and drill new holes in my door pannel to fit the 6 1/2 component holes?

flakko
08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
So 6 1/2's will easily fit in the 5x7 hole eh? I was planning on building MDF baffles for my 5x7 anyways and using the soft non hardning clay ive been reading about. I guess this means i will have to tap and drill new holes in my door pannel to fit the 6 1/2 component holes?

yu see, this:

http://www.carstereo.com/images/installs/speakerleft%2Ejpg

was a 5x7 hole and that is a 6.5" speaker

bballrrt06
08-05-2006, 04:10 PM
as said infinity 6.1 perfects have no midbass, and tweeters are too harsh for me. subs sound good, but output lacks.

ironchef b
08-05-2006, 04:55 PM
LOL @ this thread because of have infinity's kappa 6 1/2" comp for the front stage & kappa 6 1/2" coaxial for rear fill. blah blah blah they dont have mid bass, true :D but i do like um. honestly though its kinda disheartening reading all the negative comments about infinity speakers.
i just remembered that i got the setting on the passive xover on the higher side for the tweets. maybe thats why its kinda harsh LOL **** newbies.

SQBubble
08-05-2006, 06:34 PM
yu see, this:

http://www.carstereo.com/images/installs/speakerleft%2Ejpg

was a 5x7 hole and that is a 6.5" speaker

and this

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/sqlfreak/Picture139.jpg

flakko
08-05-2006, 06:42 PM
^^^ uh yea that works too lol

Railrocker
08-05-2006, 06:49 PM
LOL @ this thread because of have infinity's kappa 6 1/2" comp for the front stage & kappa 6 1/2" coaxial for rear fill. blah blah blah they dont have mid bass, true :D but i do like um. honestly though its kinda disheartening reading all the negative comments about infinity speakers.
i just remembered that i got the setting on the passive xover on the higher side for the tweets. maybe thats why its kinda harsh LOL **** newbies.

They have no midbass and they sound harsh.

So why do you like them, again?

Just throw some cheap horns and some subs in your car if thats what you like.

klepto
08-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I was looking at the Polk MoMo MMC5250, and they are just too pricey for my taste. I need something in the 150-200 dollar range...

And im still debating on whether or not i should build baffles for only the front doors, or build some for the rears too. Would there be any advantage of using 6.5 coaxials in the rear versus 5x7? Other than the fact that there are more 6.5 coaxials available...do 6.5 tend to sound betta?

ironchef b
08-05-2006, 09:03 PM
railrocker. i peeped your sig & noticed you have CDT EF-61. whats your opinion on those? btw i do plan on changing out my kappa components. w/ all the hoopla about rainbow's i just might go that direction & get um in a few months depending if i go on a trip to the mainland.

LoudCrownVic
08-05-2006, 09:10 PM
The subs are great. Product support is great.

xluben
08-05-2006, 10:35 PM
i got the reference 6.5's because they were cheap, but now that i blew one i'm going to try the pioneer rev's. i wasn't really unhappy with the infinity's except i had to eq the treble down quite a bit. other than that i just crossed over to the subs pretty high and they sounded alright (definitely better than stock when loud).

brypink
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I was looking at the Polk MoMo MMC5250, and they are just too pricey for my taste. I need something in the 150-200 dollar range...

And im still debating on whether or not i should build baffles for only the front doors, or build some for the rears too. Would there be any advantage of using 6.5 coaxials in the rear versus 5x7? Other than the fact that there are more 6.5 coaxials available...do 6.5 tend to sound betta?

If you up your budget by only $30 I think 6spdcoupe sells the SLC for $230. Definitely would be happier with those. ;)

klepto
08-06-2006, 08:33 AM
If you up your budget by only $30 I think 6spdcoupe sells the SLC for $230. Definitely would be happier with those. ;)

200 is the very high end of my spectrum. I am some what of a car audio noobzorz, and not sure my noobzorz ears could really tell the deff between some really nice high end Rainnows. I was considering them, as 6spdcoupe does sell them for 230 to your door but after another set for the rear, amp etc i would be broke.

Waht are your guys opinions on Focals, Diamonds, Crystals?

bbka
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I just bought some 6.5" Infinity Reference speakers, so I'm not liking what I am hearing.:crap:

To the people that have had them were you running them right off your deck? I bought a nice Rockford Fosgate amp that will be pushing 60rms to each of them, so hopefully they don't sound that awful or blow up on me.

headless
09-11-2006, 04:36 PM
I used to have a set of kappa's in my old corolla. They blew.

brandontw
09-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Where is there all the hate on Infinity speakers around this forum? I have heard from word of mouth that they are great speakers, just lack mid-range bass. Wont this problem be completly solved with some sub woofers. So whats the deal guys, why are you all not impressed with them? I think they are a beginner speaker, becasue in the store, when you listen to them side by side they are clearer and have more depth than most speakers, but then as you install them in your car and listen to them for a while, it seems like that clarity and depth is acheived by cutting off low frequencys too high, (to hinder distortion), and then making the tweeters way to harsh to cause the illusion of a high end speaker. But then at high volumes you realize its still distorting and taking peices of your inner ear with it due to the very harsh tweeters.:uhoh:

P.S. Never run speakers off your deck, unless you have plastic spinner crome hubcaps from walmart, then its ok.

bbka
09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Well I mine are still coming to me in the mail, maybe I'll return them for some better ones before I use them. I'll search around the site to see what you all reccomend.

flakko
09-11-2006, 05:28 PM
bbk, is that you in your sig? if so you look alot like farva...

bbka
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
bbk, is that you in your sig? if so you look alot like farva...

Lol yeah that's Farva and no it's not me.

DejaWiz
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM

Those fall right in your price range.

Here's an auction with an outstanding price. Good seller, too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-MOMO-MMC5250-5-25-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET-NEW_W0QQitemZ270027570859QQihZ017QQcategoryZ32818Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sonic Electronix MMC5250...$180 + s/h
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7108.html

Yes, 6.5's tend to sound better. More cone surface = generally better.

02dodgeram
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I've got a set of 2 way 6x9 kappas in my front doors, and have regreted an ill informed decision since about a week after buying them. I read alot about how good they are on non-car audio specific websites, and bought them thinking they were high end (considering the $200 price tag and the fact that they were some of the more pricey speakers sold at Car Toys).

The midbass is practically non-existant, the tweeters will give you a headache AND ear bleeding at moderate volumes, and the bass is laughable considering they're 6x9s intended for at least some bass. I hooked them up to an old RF amp rated 75 rms at 2 ohms, hoping for some more midbass/bass, to no avail. Just makes my ears bleed sooner.

I picked up some perfect 10.1s from crutchfield for a BOGO deal and put them in a custom ported box under my rear seats (very hard to get a good sounding box for under the rear seats). Granted they aren't meant for extreme SPL (or SPL at all), they actually get moderately loud. Enough to make my rear wall flex just a bit.

From extensive research here and several other car audio sites, I've decided I'm selling BOTH kidneys and asking tons of questions before I buy some components in the $200-500 price range.

Infinity coaxials, or components for that matter, get a big thumbs down for anyone that really cares about good sound (or that part of the body from the neck up :eek: )

DON'T BUY THEM!!!

02dodgeram
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh, but the subs on the other hand aren't bad. Great SQ to my untrained ear, bordering on low level SQL.

Yeah, I could have edited my first post, but since I've only got 1 (2 now) I don't mind post whoring. What better time to start?

UndercoverPunk
09-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Before I got really big into car audio, I loved infinity, it was all I ran for a while, my first sub setup was kappa perfects.

Then I heard better things.

Infinity doesn't really impress me as a company anymore.