PDA

View Full Version : new toys for ht setup

1loudsuv
08-03-2006, 07:56 PM
picked this one up today

universal remote (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933)

and this one the other day :D

surge protector (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110015649405&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)

i made an appointment for some guy to come in and calibrate (http://avical.com/calibration.html) through service menu the tv and next i want is a good sub and tower speakers and center channel :cool:

one month into dumping spl and going ht and i love it but sure is more expensive but more alot more usefull :)

so far spent

for tv 3,500 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDS_R60XBR1/4505-6484_7-31481141.html)
surge protector 69
ht 5.1 but upgrading soon 400 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ob1XIACjNRz/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=37600&I=022YHT370)
xbox 360 premium 500
blue ray player 1000 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ob1XIACjNRz/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=279850&I=305BDP1000)
calibrating 350
remote 200
wiring well over 200

over 6 grand into it in 1 months time and alot more to come :)

2kchevy06civic
08-03-2006, 08:41 PM
I want that remote so bad. Tell me how you like it.

ContourSPL
08-04-2006, 09:38 PM
wow, I did the exact same thing. I actually haven't listened to my car system for about a month. I made some horn enclosures for some Pioneer 8" full ranges. They have AMAZING bass but are best placed by a wall/corner to get the best loading. I can't stop listening to them, they play full range wonderfully and they are cheap. Sub duties will be 19Ov.2 in 10 cubes tuned to 17 hz powered by a Buttkicker 1000-4A sub amplifier. I think this stuff is more exciting than car audio, too bad I don't know more about it.

1loudsuv
08-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I want that remote so bad. Tell me how you like it.

i love the new remote push one button and it turns on the tv,switches it to dvd,turns on the receiver and switches it to dvd, and turns on the blue ray player and pushes play even if it takes the blue ray disc 40 seconds to load :( lol its so eazy to program, does all the work for me even turns on the ac!

LeofromtheH
08-04-2006, 10:40 PM
so how much better is the blue ray that dvd really ?

JimJ
08-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I was about to say...with that much in the signal chain, and only $400 invested in the audio...something's wrong with that :)

springy101
08-04-2006, 11:18 PM
i woulda waited for the ps3 to come out and play my blu rays on that and have games. ht is addicting though. i cant wait till i can get mine set up.

adam71
08-04-2006, 11:50 PM
i woulda waited for the ps3 to come out and play my blu rays on that and have games. ht is addicting though. i cant wait till i can get mine set up.

Yes, but just like there are high quality and low quality dvd players......not all bluray players will be created equal.:)

springy101
08-05-2006, 12:00 AM
i would rather save $500 and not have the highest quality, all dvd's look the same to me anyways

adam71
08-05-2006, 12:10 AM
i would rather save $500 and not have the highest quality, all dvd's look the same to me anyways

That explains it all right there.

1loudsuv
08-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I was about to say...with that much in the signal chain, and only $400 invested in the audio...something's wrong with that :)im not rich ive allready spent alot of cash but i say before the year ends i plan to change the receiver add towers and nice center channel and a nice sub. probably a budget of 3 grand. no more for sure but tahts what i always say and end up spending more :)

ps i spent 200+ on the remote and my audio setup was only 400.... i just got the ht in the box cause for some weird reason it attracted me. i like the way it sounds alot, after playing with the settings.. the audio wasnt a priority but im done with everything else and it is now.

so what would you recoomend im trying to keep it under 2 grand but 2,500/3000 tops... im thinking of buying a tc sounds 2000 or whatever it is and building a box for it. and then i dont know if i should get a new receiver. and towers and center channel i have no clue.

1loudsuv
08-05-2006, 01:19 AM
do you have an hdtv? a decent sized one (smaller ones seem to look the same no matter the input from what i seen)

to me i notice a day and night difference between a regular 480p dvd to a 1080p blue ray. and yah ive noticed some hd programing on cable does look better then other's not cause of the channel but cause of what show their showing. discovery hd seems to have the best quality and hbo is second. and then music hd is 3rd i say lol and so on so on.

JimJ
08-05-2006, 01:37 AM
so what would you recoomend im trying to keep it under 2 grand but 2,500/3000 tops... im thinking of buying a tc sounds 2000 or whatever it is and building a box for it. and then i dont know if i should get a new receiver. and towers and center channel i have no clue.

$2500 is a decent budget, you can do some good things with that. I'd look into Axiom Audio, Ascend Acoustics, Paradigm, etc...for the speakers.

With all this invested I'd say ditch the receiver idea and go with a multichannel amp/external processor, could probably find some used on Audiogon. But that may eat up half that budget or more. The speakers would be what to concentrate on first, you can always upgrade the hardware at a later date.

springy101
08-05-2006, 01:59 AM
do you have an hdtv? a decent sized one (smaller ones seem to look the same no matter the input from what i seen)

to me i notice a day and night difference between a regular 480p dvd to a 1080p blue ray. and yah ive noticed some hd programing on cable does look better then other's not cause of the channel but cause of what show their showing. discovery hd seems to have the best quality and hbo is second. and then music hd is 3rd i say lol and so on so on.
i have a 42" plasma hdtv, but i dont get the hdtv channels. ive only watched hdtv a few times at other peoples houses and it looks really nice though.

andar
08-05-2006, 02:02 AM
i was at the bose store a few weeks ago and watched there demo thing in their theater...boy would i like to get me one of their systems...insane quality @ insane prices

JimJ
08-05-2006, 02:04 AM
boy would i like to get me one of their systems...insane quality @ insane prices

Sarcasm? :)

I agree with you on the "insane" prices part, though...for what you actually are buying, yeah, the prices are insane ;)

springy101
08-05-2006, 02:05 AM
bose=gay

for half the money you could get a much better system, dont even get people started about bose.

joetama
08-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Is he seriously digging BLOWS??????

ravendarat
08-05-2006, 02:09 AM
bose=gay

for half the money you could get a much better system, dont even get people started about bose.

Ya, not only would I love to talk about how Bose ***** all day, but I could sit here and back it up at the same time.

springy101
08-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Ya, not only would I love to talk about how Bose ***** all day, but I could sit here and back it up at the same time.
go for it, it would make an entertaining read

1loudsuv
08-05-2006, 02:59 AM
go for it, it would make an entertaining read
when i was young i tought their ht systems where the ****. now i know alot better lol probably 200-300 of materials in their 2000 sets lol i wouldnt mind buying one if they where 1/4 of hte price but their not....

ravendarat
08-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Do you ever wonder why they dont post real specs for their systems like proper frequency response, or why none of the magz that they endorse do the same thing. Its because their systems have huge holes in the freq response. The acoustimass modules play up to 188 hz and the cubs only play down to 282 hz so what plays inbetween? Nothing. And the cubes also only play acuratly up to 14400 hz so what plays above that? Nothing. Just one little tibit for thought

1loudsuv
08-06-2006, 03:08 PM
my surge protector is gonna be here wensday cant wait, supposevely people say they notice a sound/picture difference with them...

man this logitech remote ***** :D its way way to eazy to use lol one button and it sets up say if you want to watch a dvd, it will do what you programmed it to do through the setup thing online wich is also very eazy to use.

example i have it to watch cable, turns on the cable box turns on the tv and switches the input to cable box, and say i see a movie thats on and want to turn on the receiver but mute the tv well i have it set to i push one button and it will mute the cable box and turn on the receiver and set it to cable. and say im like f this i want to watch a dvd well you push one button and it turns off the cable box and switches the input of the tv to dvd and switches the input to dvd on the receiver and pushes play on the dvd player and turns it on.

and you can program what you want to control the volume channels and so on.... can control lighting and ac and other things that use ir signals. the 890 controls radio frequency stuff to wich is not on mine :(

all the buttons light up so even in the dark you can see what button is wich and it has a motion sensor so when you move it it "glows". and shuts off after a time that you set it to shut off like 10,5 seconds or whatever.

sick *** remote. :eek: :eek:

adam71
08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
my surge protector is gonna be here wensday cant wait, supposevely people say they notice a sound/picture difference with them...

I have a Panamax surge protector / line conditioner and the shop I bought it from said it would make a difference but I couldn't really tell a difference. Anyway, it is the line conditioner that is supposed to make the (would be) difference in picture or sound, not the surge protector. So if that doesn't have a line conditioner then you definitely will not hear or see a difference.

Just did a little reading up on your surge protector and it does have a line conditioner. Whether you see a difference will be another thing.

thylantyr
08-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Surge protectors are mostly MOV based;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

Under normal conditions, they don't do any work, they sit there as if they didn't
exist waiting for a power spike to occur, then it shunts that spike. You can also
burn out MOV's when you exceed their rating but you'd never know they
went bad if they burned up unless they shorted and tripped a breaker/blew a fuse.

re: line conditioner
Just some caps and coils to form a filter on the AC input line. SQ from line conditioning is not guaranteed either, depends on
what problems exist on the power lines. If you have no AC line gremlins, then a line conditioner isn't doing
anything useful. Most if not all electronics have some form of filtering inside,
the degree of filtering is a variable. Some power supplies like SMPS has
these line filters by default, not necessarily to filter out incoming AC gremlins,
rather to keep the SMPS gremlins from coming out and contamination the AC
house voltage.

re: picture quality.
You have a better chance of seeing improvments in picture quality than sound quality so it
might be a good idea to try one.

JimJ
08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
That's why I went with a non-MOV based protector for mine :)

1loudsuv
08-14-2006, 06:05 PM
heres some more pix :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/DSC00417.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/DSC00416.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/DSC00411.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/DSC00409.jpg