PDA

View Full Version : noob?? how will 90Wrms components sound without amplifier?

djchinky
08-03-2006, 09:34 AM
hey guys just want to introduce myself since this is my first post on the forum.. anyhow about 1 month ago i knew jack about audio.and then my boss at work got me all hyped up about it..so i decided to upgrade my car audio system..and then i somehow found this place.. which is great cause there are tonnes of deals here and many great minds! so thats my story.. now heres my question.

I was wondering how sound quality would be if i bought 70-90Watt rms component speakers (i am thinking about these infinity reference 6.5 i saw someone selling) and setup them on up on my car with my alpine 9857 HU powering them.. along with these 5.25 alpine type-s coaxials in the rear, which i purchased (those are rated low at like 30rms i think) I was originally thinking of getting alpine type-s components for the front cuase their rated at a lower rms and are quite cheap.. but i know that the infinity's probably sound better, but dunno if they require an amp. For sound.. i like clear crisp sound with nice clean bass.. but i do not want it really loud so that it rattles the windows.. just good sound.. thats why i was thinking that the sub would be sufficient and i wont require much bass coming from the speakers.. so what do you think? do u think i really need an amp for components like that? i was told that i should be fine without an amp, it will still sound really clear??

your expert advice would be much appreciated

steve

helotaxi
08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
The power rating of the speakers has nothing at all to do with how they will sound on HU power. The fact that the HU will only produce power with an acceptable level of distortion at low volume is what will be the limiting factor. If you are going to bother upgrading speakers, do yourself a favor and get an amp to power them. Even the smallest cheapest amp will sound better than your HU power.

wesl56
08-03-2006, 02:47 PM
x2... that 9857 only does at rated 18w rms so getting a nice amp would be a very large improvement with any type of speakers

helotaxi
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
x2... that 9857 only does at rated 18w rms so getting a nice amp would be a very large improvement with any type of speakers
And that rated power is not CEA2006 compliant either. That's at 10% distortion. Whenever you push a HU amp they start to distort horribly even before they start to clip.

djchinky
08-03-2006, 07:54 PM
really.. that sux.. k now ill have to dish out a bit more $$.. what is a good 4 ch amp for its $$ and how much rms a channel u think i need? also do you think it makes a big difference in sound quality if i have different brand components up at the front of the car? i think i found some JL components used.. but dunno if it would sound good with my alpine types coaxs at the back

MBrock4u
08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum :) Yes indeed their is a lot of help on here, no doub about it. Looks like you have a nice head unit so you have a good start. You are defintantly going to need a amp of some kind to push any decent rms speakers to get the clairity you desire. Like was mentioned in the earlier posts, distortion hits preaty fast from head unit power alone. I doubt it you want that. Get you a 4 channel amp for your speakers, or a 2 channel for just the front stage and power the rears from head unit. I prefer everythng amped and adjust the gains acordingly. Also don't sell those alpine type S's short. Amped they sound preaty damm good. Take your time and do your homework and you can have a very nice system. Good luck!

djchinky
08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
thanks.. ya those type-s were quite cheap so i thought their quality would be crappy.. i just need some nice 6.5 components now and a 4ch amp..