PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise in speakers

lilwheezy7d5
08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Alrighttt... Well i have my whole system installed and it sounds great. When the cars not running

i had some issues with the speaker got it all resolved, but i still have engine noise! I tried resitting the ground to the same bolt as the sub since they dont have any issues. Not fixed. The RCA's and Power Cables are ran on opposite sides of the car, but do meet in the rear. I have the expensive triple sheilded blah blah great RCA;s on my speaker amp, and the cheapo ones that came with the amp kit on the sub amp. NO fix. i tried to redo all my connections to the amp over and over.

What else could it be? Help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

squeak9798
08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Reground your HU.

9 out of 10 times, the headunit ground is the problem.

lilwheezy7d5
08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
but what about the subs? I dont hear any noise from them and there hooked to the hu, if that matters... ANd how do i reground the headunit? I dont know where its grounded to begin with?

squeak9798
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
but what about the subs? I dont hear any noise from them and there hooked to the hu, if that matters...

And the subwoofers 1) have a lowpass filter on them, which does not allow higher pitched frequencies to reach the subwoofer, and/or 2) typically have a higher inductance which drastically reduces their output at higher frequencies. So no, you generally won't hear alt whine through your subwoofer.

ANd how do i reground the headunit? I dont know where its grounded to begin with?

If it's an aftermarket headunit, find the black wire exiting the headunit. Disconnect it and connect it to a new wire. Then you can ground the new wire to where ever will provide the most adequate grounding location.

fakename
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
i had alt whine and when i did the big 3, it went away.

lilwheezy7d5
08-02-2006, 08:19 PM
i already have the bIG 3 done i did it when i added my system.

lilwheezy7d5
08-02-2006, 08:20 PM
And the subwoofers 1) have a lowpass filter on them, which does not allow higher pitched frequencies to reach the subwoofer, and/or 2) typically have a higher inductance which drastically reduces their output at higher frequencies. So no, you generally won't hear alt whine through your subwoofer.

If it's an aftermarket headunit, find the black wire exiting the headunit. Disconnect it and connect it to a new wire. Then you can ground the new wire to where ever will provide the most adequate grounding location.

do i have to ground it to the frame. or can i ground it to soemthng metal behind the dash?

squeak9798
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Ground it to the best possible location you can find, if you want to get rid of your alt whine.

lilwheezy7d5
08-02-2006, 09:04 PM
ill try it, someone else recomended a ground loop isolater? Im not sure of what that is, but do you think that may help also?

squeak9798
08-03-2006, 05:49 PM
ill try it, someone else recomended a ground loop isolater? Im not sure of what that is, but do you think that may help also?

It's a bandaid for the fixing the true problem, which is more than likely the headunit ground.

Vash
08-06-2006, 02:43 AM
I do also have that stupid whining sound when i accelerate. I'm going to reground my HU tomorrow and see if it works. I tried to ground the amp hundreds of times with no success. :hide:

evilkokonut
08-06-2006, 04:23 AM
i see your problem being that you have a pioneer headunit. they notoriously have engine noise problems. My P880 took grounding the RCAs etc to somewhat contain it

supa_c
08-06-2006, 04:30 AM
remove the speakers, the noise will never bother you again

lilwheezy7d5
08-06-2006, 05:39 AM
yea i grounded the RCA's thanks to squeaks oriniginal idea, i soldered a wire to the RCA connector and then used a ring terminal to screw it to the casing. and Gone

ItalynStylion
08-06-2006, 12:58 PM
yea i grounded the RCA's thanks to squeaks oriniginal idea, i soldered a wire to the RCA connector and then used a ring terminal to screw it to the casing. and Gone
Can someone explain that for me? I dont know why but grounding out the RCA's just sounds bad...

lilwheezy7d5
08-06-2006, 01:01 PM
well it worked.. thats all i know.

lilwheezy7d5
08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
well for the most part.. at low volumes i hear a low beeping noise or popping? but its not popping. more of a beep, cant really explain it. But its not there someitmes.. could be the ground for the HU which ill check next, if i dont buy a new headunit.

squeak9798
08-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Grounding the RCA will work aswell....but it's sort of like the ground loop isolator, it's a band-aid rather than a fix to the actual problem.

Harrison486
08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I tried wrapping the RCAs with speaker wire and grounding it to the metal casing of the HU and it didnt work :crying:

lilwheezy7d5
08-06-2006, 07:49 PM
im going to go in one day when i have time and try and reground the HU itself... hopefuly that eliminates the pop. Im in no rush since once i turn it up past 5 i dont hera it.

Vash
08-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Sorry to jack ur thread but since we have similiar problems... i regrounded my Hu and nope whine still there. What's this grounding the RCA deal? I have a alpine 9811 and using AI-Net to hook up to the alpine H701. DO I ground the rca coming out of the RCA to the amps?

lilwheezy7d5
08-07-2006, 06:01 AM
the rca int he back of the HU... take a wire and solder it to the connector of the RCA and screw the othe end of the wire to the chassis of the HU.

Harrison486
08-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Ive tried wrappign some wire around the RCA outs on my HU and then grounding it and it didnt help at all :(

iagrdshaka
08-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Same thing just happened to me. I ended up finding out the HU was the problem....its a Pioneer BTW. :crap: I grounded the RCAs a week ago, but Im still hearing the alt whine....anyway im just going to sell it next month anyway. Funny that Pionner has been the only HU that Ive ever had problems with.

Harrison486
08-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Mines a pioneer too :crap:

So there really is no solution except new head unit?

Ricky616
08-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Mines a pioneer too :crap:

So there really is no solution except new head unit?
i have a pioneer also but i have no alt whine only had to ground my rca's to get rid of the speaker whine :D

squeak9798
08-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Sorry to jack ur thread but since we have similiar problems... i regrounded my Hu and nope whine still there. What's this grounding the RCA deal? I have a alpine 9811 and using AI-Net to hook up to the alpine H701. DO I ground the rca coming out of the RCA to the amps?

The H701's are NOTORIOUS for having a high noise floor when using the analog inputs, especially the Ai-net connection. So, rather than alt whine, you may simply have a noise floor issue that's inherent to the unit itself.

But, yes, you would ground the RCA's coming out of the H701 to the amps to see if it will eliminate the problem.

The H701, while being a very nice unit (have one myself), does have it's downfalls.....the noise floor is one of them. Luckily for me, I don't presently have the noise floor issue :D

Vash
08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
The H701's are NOTORIOUS for having a high noise floor when using the analog inputs, especially the Ai-net connection. So, rather than alt whine, you may simply have a noise floor issue that's inherent to the unit itself.

But, yes, you would ground the RCA's coming out of the H701 to the amps to see if it will eliminate the problem.

The H701, while being a very nice unit (have one myself), does have it's downfalls.....the noise floor is one of them. Luckily for me, I don't presently have the noise floor issue :D

Ok I tried to ground the rca connetion at the amp (from h701 to amp) to the same ground as the HU and the problem is still there. NOT ONLY THAT but now it's 100x louder (the whining) accompanied by crackling noises to. What does that tell us? What else should I try? I don't think its the H701 because before I went full active I had a DLS CA-23 amp to run my components. On that CA-23 amp was a switch to select if i was using High Level (speaker lead) in or Low level (rca input) and one time i had select high level and that very same whining occured. But when i switch it to low level the whining completely vanished. Anyone have any ideas?

Vash
08-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Ok I tried to ground the rca connetion at the amp (from h701 to amp) to the same ground as the HU and the problem is still there. NOT ONLY THAT but now it's 100x louder (the whining) accompanied by crackling noises to. What does that tell us? What else should I try? I don't think its the H701 because before I went full active I had a DLS CA-23 amp to run my components. On that CA-23 amp was a switch to select if i was using High Level (speaker lead) in or Low level (rca input) and one time i had select high level and that very same whining occured. But when i switch it to low level the whining completely vanished. Anyone have any ideas?
EDIT: sorry for double post!

Vash
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Ok this is what i just did. I disconnect AI-net and hooked up a mp3 player to the aux1 in of the h701. The whining was inaudible. hooked up the ai-net for the HU (now HU controls aux1) and the whining is back. Is this to say there's noise in the AI-net interface or is it coming from my HU?

Vash
08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Ok what else i've just tried. I hooked up the HU to H701 thru RCA aux1 and the whining is there. Sooo I think through process of elimination I think the whining is coming from my HU. Cuz mp3 to aux1 of h701 (leaves out HU) the whining is not there. When I hook up AI-net and mp3 is aux1 (Hu controling aux1) whining is there. Also, HU to aux1, whining is there. What do you guys think? This is a Alpine CDA-9811 HU (2004 year model).
Edit: Moderators could yo move this thread to Wiring and INstallations topic please? I dont know why it's in Speakers.

lilwheezy7d5
08-07-2006, 11:05 PM
it was in speakers because i didnt know that it was more of an issue of wiring and installation.. i was just having a problem with my speakers, like the title states.

Vash
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey lilwheezy7d5 no problem ^.^ I figured if we can get this thread into wiring and installations more people would look at it and help us! Sorry it was of no offense directed to you. I really hope you dont mind me sharing this thread with you??
Did you ever get ur noise fixed? I just ran a 4guage wire from battery negative and ground it where my HU grounding point is and iddn't fix the problem man noise sux. I think it's my old alpine 9811 hu =(

lilwheezy7d5
08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Yea i got the worst of it ifxed. and its no problem i wasnt offended.. i was just sayin.. But i got rid ofthe loud engine whine, but theres still a realy soft beeping or clicking noise. Im going to try regrounding my HU.. or i might buy a new headunit because i want a newer one with b uilt in ipod support and bluetooth and 5v preouts instead of my 2.2v

Vash
08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
OMG mission accomplished!! Ok so I tired to wire the IGn and 12v constant(yellow wire) directly to the battery and no... noise still there. :eyebrow: So now im out of ideas... BUT!!!!!!!!!! As I was looking at the yellow wire I had remember there used to be a gray fused box there before on the first car I installed the stereo on to. But I had left the factory alpine harness with that gray fuse box when I sold the car. I looked up that fuse box on the Alpine CDA-9811 manual and it labeled it as "Choke Coil Fuse HOlder". I was thinking "hmmm, maybe it needed that choke coil to work normally hence eliminate the noise. I looked around for one but I could not find one. I did more research and found out that a power line filter or power line noise filter was actually just a coil and a capacitor. I went to the local audio store and bought a $20 noise filter. Wired up the two 12+v leads and hooked up the ground. BAM!!!!!!!!!!! problem solved!!!!!

So I think if your alpine deck came with a gray "choke coil fuse holder" on the yellow wire of teh harness YOU NEED THAT DO NOT BYPASS IT or else you might get crazy whining sound. Kinda funny cuz this was the last thing i tried and worked. The h701 was not the cuase of the whining but yes it does have a minimal amount of flloor noise but I can't even hear it at normal listening levels. You only hear the floor noise when i switch the Hu to AUX input with nothign playing and max out the volume to 35. Thanks everyone for all your help!!!:party:

lilwheezy7d5
08-09-2006, 04:06 PM
good job... glad you figured it out.