PDA

View Full Version : Sound System Woes.

beckSHO
08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
We all know that the quality of a factory sound system usually isn't the best. And we always desire more. Be it more bass, we want it louder, we want it to be clearer, whatever it is we are looking to improve something. What I would like to improve is clarity, and bass response. However, I do not want to add a subwoofer. I'm not looking for massive bass, just some extra bump. More than the stock system has to offer. I'd like to do this with replacing the front speakers. Also, due to the design of my factory sound system, I cannot install an aftermarket head unit. So, I am using a line convertor to get signal for my amplifier.

I would like to replace my front speakers. I am thinking about going with some components. Coaxials are cheaper, so they are becoming more attractive to me. The stock speakers in that location are 6x8, but I can get a 6.5 speaker/midrange in there. I also already have a good spot for the tweeter, if I go that route. The rear speakers are already covered, some Pioneer 6x9's. Yes, I know they aren't the best, but I just want them for some rear fill/midbass. I've got to admit, the midbass on these are pretty impressive for only $50 or so.

I will be amplifiying these speakers, with a 4-channel amp. It will also supply my rear speakers with some power, as well. Or would you recommend I get a 2-channel amp just to power the front speakers?

Now, here comes the kicker; I don't want to spend much money on this, at all. I'm just looking to improve my stock system. I'm not an audiophile. I doubt I'd notice the difference between a great speaker, a good speaker, and a decent speaker. I'm not looking for a mondo huge loud system, that will blow off one's head upon request. I listen to music mostly consisting of classic rock, alternative, Jack Johnson and the sort, and seldomly rap. I guess there is some jazz in there, from time to time. I enjoy my music to have some deepness to it. So, midbass and decent bass response are mainly what I'm looking for in a new set of speakers. Also, I don't want the highs to make my ears bleed. Some tweeters that will give me nice smooth, clear notes. From what I've read, a soft dome tweeter is what I'm looking for.

So, here are the questions I have for you guys. Hopefully I described everything well enough, allowing you to answer these well.

1) Should I get components or coaxials? Remember, price is key. Not looking to spend much more than $150 on the speakers and the amp.

2) If I get coaxials, should I go with 2-ways; or 3-ways?

3) Any recommendations on a set of speakers that would work well in my application?

4) Any recommendations on a 4-channel amp to power my speakers?

Thanks for the time guys. I'm trying to learn all I can here.

wesl56
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
ey thats a tight budget for speakers and an amp... willing to go w/ used stuff?
and 2 way coax is all you need, 3 ways are just a marketing gimmick

w00t 500 posts!

beckSHO
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
ey thats a tight budget for speakers and an amp... willing to go w/ used stuff?
and 2 way coax is all you need, 3 ways are just a marketing gimmick

w00t 500 posts!

Alright, thanks. If I get some 6.5 coaxs with decent frequency response, will I get decent bass response. I will be amping them.