PDA

View Full Version : 2 sets of comps or 1?

Beerdrnkr
08-01-2006, 02:44 AM
I currently have a set of Focal 165V1 components and they sound pretty good although the tweeter is a little harsh. However I want to get louder. I was wondering if it would be better to get another set of Focal 165V1's and throw in some kick panels and also replace all 4 tweeters, or would my best bet be to sell those and buy the Focal 165K2P components? I currently have a power acoustik A600-4HP pushing the 165V1's and the Focal coaxials in the rear and it actually pushes them fairly well but I'm sure I would have to upgrade it if I went with another set of 165V1's.

Beerdrnkr
08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
ttt

superdooperman
08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
I wouldnt recommend stuffing another component set up front, you will have a very tough time getting the imaging to sound good. And if you find 2 tweets harsh, adding another 2 will only make it worse.

Does focal have an option on its crossover to attenuate the tweets? If so, maybe try toning them down 3 to 6 db's, then maybe you will be able to turn up your gains a little to get a bit more out of your woofers.

Beerdrnkr
08-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I guess what I'll do is upgrade the tweeters and see how I like it and if it's not loud enough, I'll upgrade to the 165K2P components later on. I shouldn't have any issues with a different set of tweeters running off the 165V1 crossovers right?

squeak9798
08-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I shouldn't have any issues with a different set of tweeters running off the 165V1 crossovers right?

Possibly.

First, you'll have to be sure that the new tweeter is the same impedance as the Focal tweeter. Second, you'll have to be sure that the new tweeter will perform adequately with the passive xovers crossover point and slope (i.e. the xover point isn't too low and/or the slope too shallow).

And lastly, you will likely not obtain full performance from the new tweeter, as the Focal's xover point and slope were not designed to extract full performance from the new tweeter. Though the new tweeter may not by physically damaged with the passive's xover point and slope, but it may also not allow the tweeter to perform optimally.

joek86
08-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I have the Focal K2 Power 6.5 components, love them! Mine has a tweeter and mid setting in the crossover. To bring things in balance, I had to lower the tweets by 5db. Also, the speakers sounded allot better after about 40 or 50 hours. You didn't say how long they have been in your car, so if they are new break them in the then make adjustments as necessary.

Joe

Newb 2 Sound
08-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Where are the tweets mounted?