PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, no disrespect intended, but...

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Why is it that everyone these days wants something great for nothing? I've had 6 people today who were referred from past design customers asking for box designs, and as soon as I told them 10 dollars or 6 dollars or whatever the cost may be for them, they immediately got upset and said that they didn't expect to pay for the designs. If you want free designs, Brad was gracious enough to make them available at the top of this forum. However, if you want someone to spend hours of their time fine tuning and tweaking something specifically tailored to your needs, it is less than reasonable to expect that work to be complimentary. Many of you know I strongly supported Moe's posting of the designs as it would eliminate just what I'm talking about now. If you want a design, theres pages of them in a sticky at the top of this forum. If you want custom work, you should be prepared to pay for it, and I personally believe that 8-12 dollars isn't much especailly considering it can take hours to perfect a design. If any of you fellow builders or designers agree with me, that's cool, if not, that's also fine, but I'm just tired of having my time wasted by people who don't realize that it does take some time and effort to meet their specific needs.

-Dave

mattmcss
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I still like you

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Thank you.

Safe-N-Sound215
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
:word:

saywhat?
07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I do free designs....

for my friends

Railrocker
07-30-2006, 03:53 PM
6 dollas! OOOOH WEEEE!!! thats a whole lotta money!

Whats wrong with you, you should work for free. jk :crazy:

Just give them what they pay for, if its free get out your crayons or fingerpaints and go to town like a preschooler thats been off their ADD medicine for a couple days and say "heres your box plan, you get what you pay for."

954runner
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
i paid the man for his work :)

it worked out great too.

scored a 138 off one RE8 and 140 watts
he works magic

joetama
07-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I still like you

I still don't.... But I don't dislike him anymore which I guess isn't a bad thing lol.....

azbass
07-30-2006, 04:03 PM
you get what you pay for.

LoudCrownVic
07-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I'd personally pay for a design if I needed it... The trouble it would save and the improved sound of a proper design tailored to the correct space would most likely bbe well worth the 10-$12 you might pay.

mattmcss
07-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I still don't.... But I don't dislike him anymore which I guess isn't a bad thing lol.....

Hey man, did you ever get my PM on the bass knob ?

954runner
07-30-2006, 04:06 PM
I'd personally pay for a design if I needed it... The trouble it would save and the improved sound of a proper design tailored to the correct space would most likely bbe well worth the 10-$12 you might pay.

x2. plus i don't really understand tuning very well.

RumbleNTheTrunk
07-30-2006, 04:07 PM
thats not even bad....some dude told me like 50 bucks for some work in solid works...so I just done it myself.

joetama
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Hey man, did you ever get my PM on the bass knob ?

Yea I just put that amp in yesterday and I like it a lot on my new mids (Daytons). It's pretty **** clean....

I really don't have a need for that bass knob but it wouldn't hurt having it for if I ever sell that amp...

iamamp3pimp
07-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I agree with you Dave.

I've had that recently as well.

Ricky616
07-30-2006, 04:18 PM
pv audio if u waste your time on a design i believe u should get payd its only fair people dont work for free :D

Fast1one
07-30-2006, 04:20 PM
People act like 10 dollars is a lot pfff...nothing is free in this world people...

tRiGgEr
07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Hmmmm

This would be a form of personal advertising. You're basically telling everyone you make plans and charge for them. Sorry to be the thorn in the thread...

RumbleNTheTrunk
07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Hmmmm

This would be a form of personal advertising. You're basically telling everyone you make plans and charge for them. Sorry to be the thorn in the thread...
but im sure most arent willing to pay the 10 bucks hah:up2somet:

iamamp3pimp
07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
no it isnt, its venting on the crap that people expect.

there are still people advertising in their sigs, so w/e

tRiGgEr
07-30-2006, 04:36 PM
but im sure most arent willing to pay the 10 bucks hah:up2somet:
LOL so it would seem.

PowerNaudio
07-30-2006, 04:44 PM
if you think is bad when you want to charge $10. imagine the reactions youll get if you tell them it will be $20 for a design.

i put too much effort on an enclosure design, i try and get the most of every thing out of the sub and avalible space for the customers, to charge $10 for a design.that wouldnt even be an hours of work in most jobs.

if the designer puts every thing he has in his knowledge to get you the best posible enclosure for the subs, then expect to pay a decent amount of cash for his time and effort.

if youre looking for quick generic enclosure designs they have a sticky for that.

phantom240
07-30-2006, 04:53 PM
i completely agree with what youre saying PV Audio... hell, if someone wanted free box plans, heres what i'd do

Go into Paint, tape down my mouse button, and move the mouse around a bit wit my ***... then draw a half *** egg shaped circle and send it to em. That way when they build it and their friends go, "dude... that looks like ***" youll know why...

and if you put your time and effort working on designing a box for... lets say 4 hours, at 10 bucks, youre getting paid mexican wages. that comes out to be $2.50 an hour. Thats not even a pack of good, quality smokes.

mtdewelf
07-30-2006, 04:56 PM
i hear ya man, but on the other hand i've had about 5people ready to help me(and me ready to pay them) who just vanished on me mid convo. didn't even need "box design" but more of help with port since i already figured my box out. never got the help, just have to use slot port i guess. maybe i stink like tuna :blush:

smd4life
07-30-2006, 04:58 PM
10 dollars is well worth every penny for good box design

kpozr2
07-30-2006, 05:08 PM
i dont have the nitch for designing, i can build, but i have trouble changing box plans to fit a specific sub, thats why the boxes i build come from the sticky :) althoguth when i have needed help many members have been more than helpful in telling me whats wrong and what i need to do to make it work. ex- my last box!

kpozr2
07-30-2006, 05:08 PM
does the 6$ or 10$ include a cuout sheet?

saywhat?
07-30-2006, 05:17 PM
u get a cutout sheet, and a BUILT box picture, so you know which edges go where.

he does them exactly as i do.

kpozr2
07-30-2006, 05:22 PM
nice....

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Yep, I owe most of my 3D talent to saywhat?. I see that I am not alone in my frustration, but paying 10 dollars (and it used to be less than that) for potentially hours of work is the most reasonable thing I can think of. Like grant said, the customer asks, and they shall recieve. You want to change something up in the middle of the design, fine. I did a design for someone recently for two 12w7s, and it literally took about two days to get it (part due to computer glitches) finished because the design was custom down to the size and type of dowels used. Pay people for their time, you get what you pay for. That's all.

SAG3
07-30-2006, 05:56 PM

it worked out great too.

he works magic
that mean that one RE 8 > one RE MT 10

omg omg omg

mobileaudio219
07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree... It's worth paying 10 bucks to insure a good box design...

Fast1one
07-30-2006, 06:47 PM
that mean that one RE 8 > one RE MT 10

omg omg omg:D PWNED

phantom240
07-30-2006, 11:49 PM
x2.

snb778
07-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Why is it that everyone these days wants something great for nothing? I've had 6 people today who were referred from past design customers asking for box designs, and as soon as I told them 10 dollars or 6 dollars or whatever the cost may be for them, they immediately got upset and said that they didn't expect to pay for the designs. If you want free designs, Brad was gracious enough to make them available at the top of this forum. However, if you want someone to spend hours of their time fine tuning and tweaking something specifically tailored to your needs, it is less than reasonable to expect that work to be complimentary. Many of you know I strongly supported Moe's posting of the designs as it would eliminate just what I'm talking about now. If you want a design, theres pages of them in a sticky at the top of this forum. If you want custom work, you should be prepared to pay for it, and I personally believe that 8-12 dollars isn't much especailly considering it can take hours to perfect a design. If any of you fellow builders or designers agree with me, that's cool, if not, that's also fine, but I'm just tired of having my time wasted by people who don't realize that it does take some time and effort to meet their specific needs.

-Dave

agreed and well put..

Obviously whoever is asking for a design...doesnt know how to do it...and to ask someone WHO DOES know how to do it...to do it for free is just rediculous...Jeeze...friggin want someone you dont even know to spend hours of their day (potentially) to design a box...and dont want to pay.......?????

ngsm13
07-30-2006, 11:56 PM
I agree with LEEMANS!

nG

Badfastbusa
07-31-2006, 12:13 AM
i would pay to be taught how to do it, so i could do it myself, but i wouldn't pay for someone to just design an enclosure for me... knowledge is power, and i would pay for either, but for someone that is unwilling to learn and just to expect someone to put a lot of their time into something for very little money is just lazyness...
i would pay for a good design, but i would want to know all the steps it took to get there so i could learn something from it.

MadAudio
07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
what i really dont get is why people dont just LEARN.
its not like its the hardest thing in the world to learn sure it takes time but its worth it. here its even easier just use the search function. if your new to building then sealed is as easy as pie . wtf its a FRIGGEN BOX !. hell the hardest thing for most folks is getting the tools .
and so what if you dont get it "right" the first time once you got the tools your looking at around $30 per box and practice makes perfect.

not to mention the sense of pride from making something yourself .

and if your not willing to learn then $10-$20 is a steal for a properly designed box.

MadAudio
07-31-2006, 12:36 AM
i know what you mean i just recently made my first box with home made ports everything is made from mdf with rounded corners and flush trimmed and im slightly proud of myself .

Badfastbusa
07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
learning is just part of the fun for me... like i said i would definately pay for an awesome performing box to be designed for me, i would just want to know what steps it took to get there, thats all... even if i did learn, its not like i am going to be taking away business from someone else, i would just be using my knowledge for myself and my friends, and maybe the occasional help for someone that is willing to learn, i wouldn't be just designing boxes for anyone...

i downloaded WinISD the other day and have been playing around with it, but im just having trouble with port design ect.

I know all the dimensions for the box and know what the tuning of the port i want but i am just having problems getting what i want out of the program.

Lurius
07-31-2006, 12:49 AM
Im more than happy to pay for a design. Besides, people complaining about 5$ for a design..wtf? if the sub they put in it is 500$ then its only 1/100th of the cost of that sub.

-Lurius

dru
07-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Sorry dude? I ended up designing my own box but please keep in mind I'll pay you for your help.

BTW can you accept money now?

stratusrt01
07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
I paid $30 for a horn design, since I have no clue how to design them. For the time and effort someone puts into designing a truly custom box, $6-10 is a deal.

djman37
07-31-2006, 09:48 AM

it worked out great too.

he works magic

that was a lemans design!?!

it was LOUD!

good work PV.;)

tRiGgEr
07-31-2006, 09:58 AM

it worked out great too.

he works magic

Oh god here we go. Only on CA.com...

What meter, vehicle, where was the meter placed...

A RE8 will not hit 138 legel on 140 watts in a standard ported enclosure...

nVRuckus
07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Dave now you know why I dont offer my services on this forum.

djman37
07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Oh god here we go. Only on CA.com...

What meter, vehicle, where was the meter placed...

A RE8 will not hit 138 legel on 140 watts in a standard ported enclosure...

TL in the kick..there's pics...lemme look a bit.

tRiGgEr
07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
TL in the kick..there's pics...lemme look a bit.

Got it.

Thanks

vetkilr
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
I had someone pm me and I sent them to you before I saw this..........I told them you were too cheap.........lol.

Cause there was no way in hell I was gonna spend my time doin it for your price.

This is funny as hell.

Before I met Saywhat I paid him and never used his design but to me it was wirth it cause it takes alot of time just to learn the programs let alone put up with some as s on the other side who changes his mind every 5 mins............

Oh by the way I might pm you PV...........hehehehe

djman37
07-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Got it.

Thanks

pic of the box location.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1439727&postcount=49

80INCHES
07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Yep, I owe most of my 3D talent to saywhat?. I see that I am not alone in my frustration, but paying 10 dollars (and it used to be less than that) for potentially hours of work is the most reasonable thing I can think of. Like grant said, the customer asks, and they shall recieve. You want to change something up in the middle of the design, fine. I did a design for someone recently for two 12w7s, and it literally took about two days to get it (part due to computer glitches) finished because the design was custom down to the size and type of dowels used. Pay people for their time, you get what you pay for. That's all.
u guys r not alone
i charge 10 for ported or bandpass designs becuz they take time to get rite
and folks dont want to pay...but its all good...cuz anybody that pays that 1 time gets lifetime box plans from me
:up2somet:

vetkilr
07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
u guys r not alone
i charge 10 for ported or bandpass designs becuz they take time to get rite
and folks dont want to pay...but its all good...cuz anybody that pays that 1 time gets lifetime box plans from me
:up2somet:

Hell I hope you live a long time then:D

dru
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Sorry dude? I ended up designing my own box but please keep in mind I'll pay you for your help.

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
$10 is nowhere near enough ... I used to do it for chump change, but nowadays, $10 isn't worth the time and effort it takes to make a good design ... If I just slapped one together, yeah, $10 would be fine, but then I wouldn't have any respect for myself and, frankly, neither would anyone else ...
I know 10 dollars isn't enough, that's like 2 dollars an hour, and I certainly don't live in baja california picking grapes and strawberries. People don't realize how good of a deal they're getting, so i'm content with that (used to be 8, and at one point it was 5) price just so that I can keep getting more and more experience to keep going up to more and more advanced designs. I'm not saying anything I make is spectacular, but 10 dollars for a $1000+ system? Come on now, anyone can afford that.

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 11:29 AM

This has nothing to do with you :)

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Hell I hope you live a long time then:D
:laugh: 80's a different guy.

vetkilr
07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
:laugh: 80's a different guy.
Yep he lives in the 4th deminsion of somethin:crazy:

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 11:34 AM
More like 4th order.

"My sub keeps bottoming out. What should I do?"
"4th order bandpass."

"My dog keeps biting himself, what should i do about it?"
"4th order bandpass."

vetkilr
07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
"My wife cheated what should I do ?"
Should of screwd her up 4th order style.

ramos
07-31-2006, 11:37 AM
bah , trying telling a hillbilly it's a gonna run around 2 g's to fiberglass the trunk of their duster :)

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM

:naughty:

Though i have to admit, some of the **** that 80 designs (well most of it actually) is pretty fukin amazing.

vetkilr
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
:naughty:

Though i have to admit, some of the **** that 80 designs (well most of it actually) is pretty fukin amazing.
Never heard any but I can imagine cause Ive heard some local 4th order L7 stuff and they wernt as good as the stuff 80 gave me graph but in person htey slammed.

Im doin a 6th order now for a L7 with pimp(robin) well see how it comes out and post up good/bad.Should be good I know its big as hell.Might need you to do a cut sheet/box diagram for pimp though.Gonna see if saywhat will first though.

jeeper07
07-31-2006, 11:48 AM
yo pv get on aim id like to chat

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey jeeper, you ever hear from exploit? He said his system was fukin up.

Rage00
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM

-Dave

I contacted you a while back wanting a plan, telling you upfront I am willing to pay, and you said that is cool, and that you would do the design, and I have never heard back from you. If you are still working on it than it is probally going to be the sickest box out there, if not then you proballly forgot. Either is cool.

BUT I do still need a plan if anyone wants to make some money.

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Hmm, my fault. How long ago was this, Goob had to fix my PM box some time ago (it wouldn't receive anything).

tRiGgEr
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I design boxs for free. But only if I like you. That leaves out 99.9% of the world.

ramos
07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I design boxs for free. But only if I like you. That leaves out 99.9% of the world.

I do to on occasion , and some of them even have six sides :)

vetkilr
07-31-2006, 12:56 PM
lol

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 01:01 PM
I do to on occasion , and some of them even have six sides :)
****, can I get one with 4? I've heard two open panels are great for SPL. :D

ramos
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
****, can I get one with 4? I've heard two open panels are great for SPL. :D

Sure , which four sides would you like ? Inside and outside are the standard, the other two can be custom :)

iamamp3pimp
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
no bottom box ftw

you can see the subs preform and watch and the FBEEZ meter goes off the charts

Badfastbusa
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
anyone want build a design for me, thats not the average everyday 2 sub regular set-up? like something that somewhat conforms to the truck? I am more than willing to pay for the design but i would just like to have a little insight on how it comes together... not every step, but a generalized how to so i can learn a little.

pm me if you want to do something like that and you have the experience to do it right and ******.

Flipx99
07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Do you, as designers, note a difference between help and design? I have designed all of my boxes based on guessing and experimentation. (Such ideas include having the aeroports exactly behind the sub, resin concoction) [all of which turned out to be poor ideas btw] but do you feel there is a difference between designing a box and reply for help for simple things like box tuning, port placement, etc. I have provided financial advice to sum that pros charge quite commission for. I don't expect payment for help. I feel I exhange this help for the questions I have.

On the other hand, if someone wanted me to do a full portfolio analysis considering age, income, education, assesing risk tolerances, etc, etc. I would expect to be paid.

In short, my comment here is that people like me don't expect to have to pay for help, I contribute what I can to the forum and you contribute what you can to the forum. But if I asked you to make a box specific to my application, with drawings and details and such. I would then expect to have to pay.

dru
07-31-2006, 09:48 PM
whew

PV Audio
07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Do you, as designers, note a difference between help and design? I have designed all of my boxes based on guessing and experimentation. (Such ideas include having the aeroports exactly behind the sub, resin concoction) [all of which turned out to be poor ideas btw] but do you feel there is a difference between designing a box and reply for help for simple things like box tuning, port placement, etc. I have provided financial advice to sum that pros charge quite commission for. I don't expect payment for help. I feel I exhange this help for the questions I have.

On the other hand, if someone wanted me to do a full portfolio analysis considering age, income, education, assesing risk tolerances, etc, etc. I would expect to be paid.

In short, my comment here is that people like me don't expect to have to pay for help, I contribute what I can to the forum and you contribute what you can to the forum. But if I asked you to make a box specific to my application, with drawings and details and such. I would then expect to have to pay.
Help and designing are QUITE different. People PM and IM me asking me to check over designs they might have done, asking how to figure out their box tuning, asking about response graphs, figuring out zobels and lots of other ****. If I can do anything to help someone out using just my mind, then that's payment enough for me. If they want me to actually make something up out of nothi ng for them, then that's different and would be considered designing.

Badfastbusa
08-01-2006, 12:49 AM
no pm's??? obviously some of you are not as good at designing as everyone thinks you are, don't care to take another one on, don't think my money is good enough, or you just don't want to give away any secrets... thats ok... ill figure this crap out sooner or later, it will just take time and money which i seem to have alot of.... well the time anyways LOL

Flipx99
08-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Help and designing are QUITE different. People PM and IM me asking me to check over designs they might have done, asking how to figure out their box tuning, asking about response graphs, figuring out zobels and lots of other ****. If I can do anything to help someone out using just my mind, then that's payment enough for me. If they want me to actually make something up out of nothi ng for them, then that's different and would be considered designing.

How do you feel about checking over a design as I ask that more than once as I get 'ideas' and such

mtdewelf
08-01-2006, 12:52 AM
no pm's??? obviously some of you are not as good at designing as everyone thinks you are, don't care to take another one on, don't think my money is good enough, or you just don't want to give away any secrets... thats ok... ill figure this crap out sooner or later, it will just take time and money which i seem to have alot of.... well the time anyways LOL
people don't pm you to do work for you. plenty of people in here said they are designers and are happy to design, PM THEM

mtdewelf
08-01-2006, 12:53 AM
maybe your money IS no good
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2052902#post2052902

Badfastbusa
08-01-2006, 02:22 AM
WOW, that is crazy... check out my reply and you will get the rest of the story!

chozen1
08-01-2006, 07:48 AM

lmao:crazy: :hilariou:
80 is a good guy
he designed a 4th order for my setup and i was burping low 150's in my 4dr acura integra, i have 2 jl 12w7's with 1 matts d3000.1 amp and 2 stinger 1700 batts in the trunk and 1 stinger 800 under the hood

bjfish11
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM

-Dave
**I didnt read the whole thread**

But honestly, what a joke!!!

And know, im not talking about you Dave. People wanting stuff for free. Kinda like people emailing me for fiberglass work and want it for material costs only because, "they go to a lot of shows and its good advertisement." Yea, and I'm hung like a horse.

PatFitz9
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Yea, and I'm hung like a horse.

whoa man, me too. can i get a free fiberglass box because of it? :D

PV Audio
08-01-2006, 02:52 PM
How do you feel about checking over a design as I ask that more than once as I get 'ideas' and such
I don't mind checking over one's work, as that doesn't require any significant effort, and is good to see what ideas other people have so that you yourself can get smarter and gain more experience :)