PDA

View Full Version : Box finishing idea...

phantom240
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Has anyone here ever finished their box in carbon fiber? I was htinking about covering my fiberglass box project with carbon fiber... that seems so *** to me... but because of boeing's dumb asses, carbon fiber prices have skyrocketed. Do you think this would look good? also, carbon fiber is uber strong, and i think it would do wonders for my fiberglass box... you think so?

azbass
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
yes. i have. also i am making carbonfiber engin cover pices......

go to selectproducts.com get some carbonfiber cloth. some CLEAR resin, apply, then sand and buff.

azbass
07-29-2006, 11:17 PM
but if you are unshure of how to do it to make it look right. there is always carbonfiber vinal.

PV Audio
07-29-2006, 11:29 PM
CF is strong when, and only when, used properly. People get CF everything thinking that it will be lightweight and stronger than steel, but it can snap very easily if used improperly.

phantom240
07-29-2006, 11:29 PM
poop on vinyl... how do i do carbon fiber so that it doesnt look like pieces and parts, and make the weave look uniform throughout the box? Also, what kind of resin do YOU use? Also, would i apply a couple more coats of resin on top of the carbon, to make sure i dont sand the carbon itself? If you could give me some pointers on carbon, id be really happy... have any pix of the box u did?

PV Audio
07-29-2006, 11:32 PM
If you're talking to me, I've never used carbon fiber on a speaker enclosure as I think it'd be worthless. I have however made custom RC car parts out of sheet 1/8" CF before, and it is NOT easy to work with. The vinyl is your best bet basically.

phantom240
07-29-2006, 11:37 PM
...why take the time to make a box that sounds great, and finish it in something that is obviously fake... now if there was some good vinyl that actually looked like carbon fiber, i would use it... but its all cheap crappy stuff...

phantom240
07-29-2006, 11:40 PM
lol i think i crashed select products website...

PV Audio
07-29-2006, 11:56 PM
...why take the time to make a box that sounds great, and finish it in something that is obviously fake... now if there was some good vinyl that actually looked like carbon fiber, i would use it... but its all cheap crappy stuff...
If you have the skills to mold CF, then go right ahead. With all due respect, I feel that you're getting ahead of yourself...greatly. Working with CF is like working with titanium, only cheaper. It's difficult, tedious, and usually doesn't need to be used in the first place unless the goal is low weight. What you're talking about doing, however, isn't what it was made to do. There's a reason why bicycle frames, golf clubs and tennis racquets made of carbon fiber all cost extreme amounts of money. The time put into making the shapes is what you're paying for, not the actual material. If you feel that vinyl is fake, then fine. However, you don't realize the magnitude of what you want to do.

phantom240
07-30-2006, 12:03 AM
...a bit harsh, but i think you misunderstood. I just want to lay some carbon fiber cloth/mat on my box. I wouldnt use vinyl because 1 it doesnt look as good, but more importantly, doesnt fit the same way carbon fiber would. Would you mind shedding some light on carbon fiber? It was a sugestion. I gotta start somewhere. Look at the box im building, its the first time ive ever touched fiberglass... but i gotta start somewhere. What is so hard about laying carbon fiber? Ive been told its quite similar to laying fiberglass...

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 12:08 AM
The problem with carbon fiber as a covering is that it doesn't mold like regular fabrics. It is stiffer, and it isn't easy to apply to sharp curves. There are generally different tensile strengths of CF weave, some strong, some weak. I recommend going with the most supple of them which would most likely be the weakest. I say that because it seems easy, but you're talking about using a single piece of fabric to get that seamless look, and it most likely won't conform to your curves like glass mat does.

phantom240
07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
...okay... now we're getting somewhere.. so simple curves and larger flat surfaces are ideal for CF, whereas more angular, sharper curves can be a PITA with CF? Okay. So if i were to cover the outside of the box (not the back, thats not as critical as far as asthetics) with cf, how would i go about test fitting? would i cut a large section, and try as best i can to mold it to the box's shape? ive seen people put a spray of adhesive on the underside of the object to get CF'd and mold it almost like fleecing a box. Does this seem right to you?

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe, I just didn't understand a word of what the **** you just said. :)

Repite por favor?

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 12:19 AM
What do you mean by test fitting anyway?

xluben
07-30-2006, 01:18 AM
yeah, and carbon fiber is only good under tensile stress, which is the reason it has to be woven. and its still not going to be that strong perpendicular to the face of the box.

phantom240
07-30-2006, 10:34 AM
well im more than likely going to finish the box with mdf, which is cheaper than glass, and stronger on flat surfaces, which will make applying CF much easier...

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 10:48 AM
First, unless you are an aerospace contractor, you can't get carbon fiber cloth right now. The limited amount that is still available in the open market is astronomically expensive. CF isn't exactly something you just play around with either. I also am pretty sure that you don't understand the trouble that you would be going to for a cosmetic application of CF. It isn't going to add any strength. You would have to invest in vacuum bagging equipment to even have a prayer of it coming out right. You MUST use epoxy resin which is around 2 times as expensive as poly resin. When, not if, you eff it up you can't just sand out your mistakes either. You get one chance to get it right and unless you have a lot of experience and/or a lot of really expensive equipment, it's going to end up as a really expensive mistake.

2loud4u
07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
You can get carbon fiber cloth on ebay.
Not that expensive eather.

I got some on its way cause i am doing my dash, doors and a few other odds and ends.
My buddy used to do it alot so He is going to help me out.

He works at Imp areospace They build parts for every kind of air plane.

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
You can get carbon fiber cloth on ebay.
Not that expensive eather.

I got some on its way cause i am doing my dash, doors and a few other odds and ends.
My buddy used to do it alot so He is going to help me out.

He works at Imp areospace They build parts for every kind of air plane.
Laying CF for strength and laying it for cosmetic purposes are two very different things. The only stuff I found of eBay was running $50+ per yard. Less than a year ago it was 1/4 that. If that is inexpensive to you, then congrats.

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
First, unless you are an aerospace contractor, you can't get carbon fiber cloth right now. The limited amount that is still available in the open market is astronomically expensive. CF isn't exactly something you just play around with either. I also am pretty sure that you don't understand the trouble that you would be going to for a cosmetic application of CF. It isn't going to add any strength. You would have to invest in vacuum bagging equipment to even have a prayer of it coming out right. You MUST use epoxy resin which is around 2 times as expensive as poly resin. When, not if, you eff it up you can't just sand out your mistakes either. You get one chance to get it right and unless you have a lot of experience and/or a lot of really expensive equipment, it's going to end up as a really expensive mistake.
That was exactly what I was going for in my first post. You can't just wrap it around the box unless you know how to mold it.

2loud4u
07-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Laying CF for strength and laying it for cosmetic purposes are two very different things. The only stuff I found of eBay was running $50+ per yard. Less than a year ago it was 1/4 that. If that is inexpensive to you, then congrats.

40 Dollars on there for a square yard. 36" wide x 36" long.

I dont think that it is that expensive. If I bought a carbon fiber dash or door pannels it would cost me alot more then that no question.

PV Audio
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Again, I'll say it for like the 5th time. There is a reason why carbon fiber parts cost a lot of money, and it isn't because of the material itself. ;)

phantom240
07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
i understand completely what youre saying there... Actually, eBay was where i found CF for what i think is a decent price. SO even laying CF on MDF isnt easy? And yes, its purely cosmetic... Not tryin to make it bulletproof... hmm... how about that kevlar cloth ****... im guessing thats even MORE expensive...

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 05:25 PM
i understand completely what youre saying there... Actually, eBay was where i found CF for what i think is a decent price. SO even laying CF on MDF isnt easy? And yes, its purely cosmetic... Not tryin to make it bulletproof... hmm... how about that kevlar cloth ****... im guessing thats even MORE expensive...
Kevlar is cheaper right now, but it isn't ballistic kevlar. Yes even laying CF on a flat surface is difficult. You get one chance. If you touch it, you disturb the weave and that blemish in the weave will stand out like a sore thumb. Doing small trim pieces is much easier becaus you don't have the long running lines to worry about keeping straight and any disturbances to the symmetry of the weave don't look so out of place on a small curved piece.

I've been planning on doing my trunk and door pods in the carbon fiber look vinyl. Not the stick on cheap looking ****, but the upholstery vinyl with a weave pattern embossed on it. My car came from the factory with the top and bottom of the steering wheel and shift boot made out of it and it looks really good. Check this stuff out. (http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/cafivi.html)

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 05:28 PM
40 Dollars on there for a square yard. 36" wide x 36" long.

I dont think that it is that expensive. If I bought a carbon fiber dash or door pannels it would cost me alot more then that no question.
If the part is actually solid carbon fiber, do you have any idea how much of that fabric is in there. Add to that the labor to make the part. Add to that the cost of the epoxy resin used to make it.

phantom240
07-30-2006, 06:01 PM
thats awesome carpet vinyl stuff....

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
thats awesome carpet vinyl stuff....
My point exactly...

phantom240
07-30-2006, 10:26 PM
...wow... i wish i would have found that earlier. Have you ever seen what this looks like all applied and stuff? Also, do you think the carbon fiber lookin stuff would look about the same as real carbon fiber once i use epoxy resin on it?

phantom240
07-30-2006, 10:35 PM
thanks a bunch for that link. Thats definately what im gonna use on my box. Im gonna buy some CF later on just to mess around with... i always have to mess with stuff.. its in my nature. Theres a lot of stuff i can use that for in my car!

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 11:52 PM
...wow... i wish i would have found that earlier. Have you ever seen what this looks like all applied and stuff? Also, do you think the carbon fiber lookin stuff would look about the same as real carbon fiber once i use epoxy resin on it?
You don't want to put resin on that stuff. That is exactly how it is supposed to look as a finished product. I guess you could try to put resin on it but I would def try it on a small piece before I went to the trouble to cover my sub box with it and then eff it up by putting resin on it where it wasn't needed.

I know exactly how it looks without any resin on it. Like I said my steering wheel is wrapped in it and my shifter boot is made out of it.

phantom240
07-31-2006, 08:52 AM
sweet. and i looked at what it was put in, and they had it in a 300zx, which is nearly identical inside as my car. woot. ima put some of that on my door panels and glove box.