PDA

View Full Version : Question about gorilla glue?

heyman421
07-29-2006, 04:36 AM
Hey gang, spent the night assembling a 10cf birch box for my L7's, but i have a question/problem i need help with in preparation for tomorrow.

I mitred the corners of my box, so the 90 degree angle clamps i was intending to use for assmembling the box were useless, so i had to resort to 16 odd c-clamps on the tops and bottoms of each corner, clamping 2x2's.

It didn't occur to me until much too late that those 2x2's may incidently become a fixture in my box :crap: hahaha, good thinking, i know.

I was wondering if there'd be a way for me to chisel the 2x2's out of the corners?

I'd leave them be, but they're not flush with the box, i don't think i'll be able to get the top and bottom of the box on with the 2x2's there.

I don't know if it's possible or not, i just don't have much experience (any) with gorilla glue.

Is there any glimmor of hope in my future? Or am i gonna be spending a few hours DRILLING 2x2's out of my beautiful baby :crying:

so frustrating after 9 hours of work.... i've never even mitred before, and i didn't lose a single finger!!!! WOO!

heyman421
07-29-2006, 04:38 AM
i'm not abandoning this thread, but i need to go to sleep

much sanding/staining/finishing to do tomorrow :) and pics, of course.

Un-polyeurethaned birch is nothing much to see, anyhow....

90accordman
07-29-2006, 04:43 AM
your wood will most likely break before that glue does if it cures

helotaxi
07-29-2006, 09:41 AM
You're fooked. Even a chisel isn't going to help. That joint isn't coming apart and if you built the box out of MDF, its going to come apart before the 2x2 so you will end up with nice big chunks out of the box. Time to start over.

djman37
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
cut the 2x2 pieces flush and keep going. thx gorilla glue.
btw, i wrap my clamping pieces in saran wrap.

QtrHorse
07-29-2006, 10:38 AM
If the 2x2 blocks are glued to the inside corners, just get a long flat hand saw and run it down each side where there glued. between the block and birch panel walls. The panel walls will act as a guide and you should be able to cut them out flush. It may sound confusing but it's easy.

helotaxi
07-29-2006, 10:53 AM
If the 2x2 blocks are glued to the inside corners, just get a long flat hand saw and run it down each side where there glued. between the block and birch panel walls. The panel walls will act as a guide and you should be able to cut them out flush. It may sound confusing but it's easy.
That should work fine, unless he's cut a mitre on the top edge too. If he has, I stick to my initial assessment, he's fooked. It could be saved depending on how good he is with a hand saw. He would have to use the mitre as a guide and do an internal bevel cut on the 2x2.

acreature
07-29-2006, 12:10 PM
:needpics:

heyman421
07-29-2006, 03:16 PM
alright, thanks for the help guys

haha, calm down, i'm not surrendering yet, worst case scenario was gonna be me drilling the blocks out

i think cutting them out with a saw is the way to go, i'll take pics, bout to go back to work

thanks again

heyman421
07-29-2006, 03:18 PM
anyone know how long you have to let gorilla glue cure before you can sand down the edges and stain it?

wondering if i'll be able to start staining today or not

still gotta glue on the top and bottom pieces.........

just wasn't sure if it needed to be completely cured, or just the 1-4 hour setting time the bottle suggests clamping for?