PDA

View Full Version : 'Mixing' subs and speakers, ughhh

heyman421
07-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I asked this question in the last post of an old thread, so i'm sure nobody opened it again to read it.

Baically, my question was in regards to the 'vibe' rectangular 6x9's.

The recommended enclosure size for them is 2 cubes, which is HUGE.

My question was whether i could put these in enclosures that i design to sit on top of my subwoofer enclosure, perched over the tops of the rear seat (stationwagon) firing forward into the cabin, while the subs fire rearwards at the hatch.................

Obviously, i physically CAN, i'm just wondering if this would cause a lot of cancellation/problems/bad soundstage.

Right now for midbass i have the woofers from a set of type-r components in .5cf sealed boxes in my rear doors, and while it's OK, i want midbass that can put out a lot more volume. My L7's are 15's, and ported @ 33hz, so they have NO midrange extension, they sputter out ~55hz.

Anyone have feelings about this one way or the other? I would take the carpet off of my subwoofer box, and recarpet both boxes together, so it wont look bad, it will just look like there's some 6x9's poking their heads over the rear seat.

My intent is to do away with rear door speakers altogether, have my kenwood 25th anniversary 6.75 components in the front play 200hz+ have the 6x9's play 60-200hz, and have my sub play 60hz, and DOWN.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks.

heyman421
07-27-2006, 09:43 PM
and also, i'm less worried about soundstage as i am with cancellation if that helps you answer my question at all.......

i don't mind the bassline coming from behind me, so long as i atleast HAVE it

right now it's there with LOW volume, but quickly gets masked my my highs and lows

wesl56
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
well i dunno about most of that, but from what i've heard those type r comps **** *** especially at midbass... do you already have those 6x9s?

heyman421
07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
no, not yet

i'm toying with the idea of tang band 6.5" subs from parts express, as well

they're ~$40 a pop, have 11mm xmax, and i could power 2 per channel

the only thing keeping me from doing that for midbass, is that i don't know how to design a good enclosure for them to make them peak @ 80-200hz, and there's no recommended enclosure provided.

the best box i came up with for the peak i want is 2.0cf sealed, where 1.0 was peaking too high, but i really would be kidding myself if i told you i actually knew what i was looking at :( I just want some midbass!!!!!! And don't wanna lose my LOWS

if i could figure out how, those would be even better for what i need them for.... i don't need full midrange drivers, only 60-200hz is lacking hardcore

heyman421
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
come to think of it, 2.0 is HUGE for midbass drivers

someone help me please!! Hahaha.

heyman421
07-28-2006, 05:07 AM
n/m, i think i'm gonna go with the W6-1139SG's

i played around in winisd, and i settled on 1 cubic foot for each pair, tuned to 60hz, i'll be at a peak from 55hz-300hz, which my desired 60hz-200hz range falls nicely into

so despite all that, does anyone think this is going to sound ok? or am i wasting effort?

JimJ
07-28-2006, 05:10 AM
I think you're wasting your efforts...

Why are you concentrating on the rear doors? What's wrong with the front speaker locations that prevent you from using those?

heyman421
07-28-2006, 06:16 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2020/15rv.jpg

because that's what the insides of my doors look like, infinite baffle is out of the question

the only option i have for midbass is kickpanels, and i'm not giving up my dead pedals for speakers

car's for driving and comfort 1st, and sound 2nd, always

is there an actual reason my idea wont work?

elementxero
07-28-2006, 06:54 AM

Get the **** off this board, sir. :P

JimJ
07-28-2006, 07:20 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2020/15rv.jpg

because that's what the insides of my doors look like, infinite baffle is out of the question

the only option i have for midbass is kickpanels, and i'm not giving up my dead pedals for speakers

is there an actual reason my idea wont work?

Will it make sound? Sure.

Will it be something you'd want to listen to? Frankly, I'd throw a boombox on the seat and save yourself some money; the soundstage would be about the same :)

What about A-pillars? Can't fit a 3" mid and small tweet up there, or a tweet in the dash somewhere?

CJL
07-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Sound > Comfort :fyi:

:D

heyman421
07-28-2006, 08:54 AM
What about A-pillars? Can't fit a 3" mid and small tweet up there, or a tweet in the dash somewhere?

I've good midrange, it's just lacking in midbass for the obvious reason... being that my doors are constructed haphazardly, haha.

I'm just trying to figure something out to supplement some midbass.

I just want sacrificing my lows to be last resourt. If i could get the entire 25-200hz region licked, i could die happy... Never pulled it off in a car to date, and of course i pick this ****ed thing to try it in first.

wesl56
07-28-2006, 09:21 AM
those kenwoods in the front doors dont have any midbass? do you have the front doors deadened?

heyman421
07-28-2006, 10:35 AM
the front doors are assembled just like the rear door pictured above, there isn't actually a 'door' the speakers are mounted on the plastic shell.........

You can see daylight between the plastic shell and the metal door, so in-door midbass isn't gonna happen without some sort of enclosure.

I'm stumped.

wesl56
07-28-2006, 11:16 AM
oh thats supergay... maybe just build a plexi box for the woofers in the front doors...

heyman421
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
If worse comes to worst, i'll put one of those tang bands in the factory subwoofer spot under the rear seat, and see if that helps.

I'm really just concerned with getting into the 80-100hz region, the L7's really don't have much output above 55hz or so, and i have nothing to fill in the gap.

I'll figure something out.

heyman421
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
thanks for all the input, guys