PDA

View Full Version : Big Upgrade From Stock?

Dynasty
07-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I am looking to replace my stock 4x6 front speakers. The main thing I am looking for is a noticable upgrade from the stock SQ. Will any 4x6 aftermarket speaker do that for me?

I do not want to get components (at least not now). I am only going with coaxials.

GordonW
07-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Truthfully, 4x6 is really a 'bastard' format. It's hard to find ANYTHING that's good.

Given that, this would probably be one of the only things, I'd think would make a substantial improvement over stock, in a 4x6:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=23&product_id=82

At least it's from a good company, and has an actual soft-dome tweeter. Hard to go terribly wrong with that. No, it's still not going to have real BASS... but there again, NO 4x6 will ever "bump"!

Regards,
Gordon.

pik
07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Truthfully, 4x6 is really a 'bastard' format. It's hard to find ANYTHING that's good.

Given that, this would probably be one of the only things, I'd think would make a substantial improvement over stock, in a 4x6:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=23&product_id=82

At least it's from a good company, and has an actual soft-dome tweeter. Hard to go terribly wrong with that. No, it's still not going to have real BASS... but there again, NO 4x6 will ever "bump"!

Regards,
Gordon.

I ran those Boston's for about 3 days before I found a way to make some 6.5's fit. Is this a GM front door?? you should be able to go upto 5.25 with even some basic Metra adapters. Seriously don't waste time or money on a 4x6

Johnny Drama
07-28-2006, 03:59 PM
In my last chevy I found that upgrading the headunit first was more benificial then speakers first...

I ran eclipse 4x6 and polk 4x6. This was atleast 5 years ago and there are many other brands out there that will sound better.

Dynasty
07-30-2006, 12:58 AM
I am not looking to get bass out of the speakers. I just want better clarity than the stockers.

If there is not a 4x6 out there that will do that then I guess I will look into the adapters to fit a bigger size speaker.