PDA

View Full Version : Teach me on box building

CarlosV
07-27-2006, 07:46 AM
I am new on the box building and still have a lot to learn, and have some questions

How do you tune a box by the sub specs or the desired sound of the listener?

What’s the difference on between lower and higher tune?

What do you use to paint it?

Worlddre
07-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I am new on the box building and still have a lot to learn, and have some questions

How do you tune a box by the sub specs or the desired sound of the listener?

What’s the difference on between lower and higher tune?

What do you use to paint it?
boxes are tuned using several parameters (internal volume, port height, port width) to determine the correct length of the port for your desired tuning freq

The difference between lower and higher tune is generally speaking a higher tuned box will rolloff much earlier and have a pretty serious peak in output around the tuning freq while a lower tuned box will have a flatter response and play lower

to paint it you generally sand it smooth coat it in primer then paint it. Or you could cover it in fiberglass resin sand it and take it to an automotive bodyshop to paint.

PSturmer
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
to tune ports the are several different sites but here is the one i use and i had good results. just make sure you understand what a slot port exactly is

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

typically for the daily driver that wants good all around sound you will tune 27-38

danteBirosel
07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
i got a Step by step dvd that can teach u everything. :naughty:

ramos
07-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Resin isn't really needed on the exterior to paint mdf. I Use about a 75 / 25 mix of wood glue and water mix thoroughly and paint it on. Get it real good on any exposed end grain. Let it dry and gve it one more coat. Then let it dry completely and sand it smooth. Then prime it, and paint it how ever you want :)

PV Audio
07-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I can vouch for ramos, I am a firm supporter of the gluewash technique.

CarlosV
07-27-2006, 01:18 PM
do you have pics of the gluewash

Worlddre
07-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Resin isn't really needed on the exterior to paint mdf. I Use about a 75 / 25 mix of wood glue and water mix thoroughly and paint it on. Get it real good on any exposed end grain. Let it dry and gve it one more coat. Then let it dry completely and sand it smooth. Then prime it, and paint it how ever you want :)
never heard that before....i think i will try it this weekend

PV Audio
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
do you have pics of the gluewash
Just fill up a wood glue bottle with like an inch and a half of glue then fill it with another inch to two inches of water. Should feel slimy still, but not as viscous as the glue.

ramos
07-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Yep what he said , your basically just thinning the glue down to make it easier to paint on . It's a cheap way to seal the mdf. Seal it up , then it's just like painting anything else. :)