PDA

View Full Version : advice buying 6.5" coax

aquafang
07-26-2006, 06:02 AM
I am looking at buying a mid grade coax for my truck.
Here's what I'm looking at:
Alpine SPS17a
infinity 602i
boston acoustics s65
Polk db650's

What about Kicker, rockford or kenwoods? compared to these models?
I am looking for good clean sound and able to get loud. Also would like some decent midbass. I will cross them over at 100hz@12db.
thank you in advance

Naxis2k1
07-26-2006, 07:52 AM
id look into the pioneer rev coaxs. they get loud and sound dang good for the money

psych0ticnemes1
07-26-2006, 08:33 AM
polks are alright... not terribly impressed with them but they hold their own i guess

konechiwa
07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
well i really like the Boston SX65, they sound absolutely awesome for coaxils. Kenwood to me also sounds good (with EQ). Rockford is also a good choice, i like their stuff for budget.

i'd ditch the polk's and alpines. Polk's are OK, but i'd get something else. Same with the alpine. Nothing below the type-r's are very good IMO.

I really like the Infinity Kappas over the references. Sound much better, although that is if you can fit them.

kublkmax
07-26-2006, 12:53 PM
why would you not just buy a set of components? I think you would be much happier in the long run.

aquafang
07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't want the components. I don't want to make room for the tweeter. I want to use the factory location. I've heard the rockfords don't have much midbass. sounds like i'm leaning towards the bostons. I have a set of 5.25 components by MB Quart. But again. I want to use the factory location.
Are the pioneer revs that good? Are they the yellow cone speakers? I've never been a poineer fan of any of their stuff. Have they entered a higher league with the revs?
thanks guys for the input. some more help would be appreciated.

cool9
07-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Go to ecoustics*, epinions*, onlinecarstereo or crutchfield for reviews. Invaluable resources. Polk Momo series has excellent reviews. Same goes with MB Quart. Check out the Polk website and download their speaker pdf's. They go into detail about production, tweeters, etc. You can buy all of these speakers brand new on ebay for up to 40% off these stores. I just bought new 5.25" Polk Momo on ebay for $90 total. They go for $150 at Crutchfield.

JimJ
07-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Memphis Sync6's :)

Basically a pretty good component set with the option to coaxially mount the tweet in place of a phase plug.

With some EQ on the top end, they really come alive :) I have mine crossed at 63Hz @ 24dB/oct, and they sing...

bri487
07-27-2006, 12:05 AM
id look into the pioneer rev coaxs. they get loud and sound dang good for the money

i think they are one of the best coaxials out there. the polks sound ok, the zapco iforces sound better imo. the pioneers are a sweet speaker though, i love them. diamonds sound great and have decent mid-range, but they arent nearly as loud as the pioneers, and i have never owned a diamond coaxial which the tweeter didnt shut off at the slightest bit of heat.

Naxis2k1
07-27-2006, 09:22 AM
i think they are one of the best coaxials out there. the polks sound ok, the zapco iforces sound better imo. the pioneers are a sweet speaker though, i love them. diamonds sound great and have decent mid-range, but they arent nearly as loud as the pioneers, and i have never owned a diamond coaxial which the tweeter didnt shut off at the slightest bit of heat.

couldnt say it better myself. for 100 bucks get yourself a set of the rev 6.5(yes the yellow ones) and i think you will be plenty happy with them. i cant think of hardly any coax that get as low as the revs and as loud with any given power for the money. not to mention the tweets on these coax sound very smooth and never harsh. if you plan on amping your speakers sometime look into the rev comps, a step above the coax(of course) and get crazy loud off 75 watts. and yet all the while maintaining decent SQ. the tweet on the comps will need a little tuning(can be a little to bright at times) but once you find the "sweet spot" they are a great set of cheap comps.

linvillegorge
07-27-2006, 09:32 AM
When it comes to mids, one man's gold is another man's garbage. What sounds awesome to one person may sound like crap to another. My advice is to listen to as many as you can and make a decision off of that. Try to listen to them as unbiased as possible. After listening to quite a few, I settled on Rockford Fosgate T162s. They have plenty of midbass for me. A big part of having good midbass is the install. Deaden those doors up!

MBrock4u
07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes indeed! Take the sugestions above , check out the brands people have mentioned, but let your ears be the final judge.

Simek4life
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
MB quartz hands down......

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5359.html

bri487
07-29-2006, 02:29 AM
MB quartz hands down......

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5359.html

junk when next to the revs.

xluben
07-29-2006, 04:32 PM
i want the rev's now :)

are they going to seriously outperfom the infinity reference 6.5's i have now (6012si, slim version)? i blew one of them, so i'm looking for new coaxials to go in my front doors.

i'll be powering them with a profile ap400 (65W x 2 @ 4 ohms).

would it be worth it to do my rear deck with the rev 6x9's? i felt the infinity's had a hard time keeping up with the bass output (and that's probably why i blew one :)). if i got the 6.5's and 6x9's i'd be powering them with the same amp wire in parallel (100W x 2 @ 2 ohms). is that enough power? are 6x9's (and rear-fill) even worth it?

skmfkr
07-29-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3066

jeeper07
07-29-2006, 06:19 PM
ive got some great 6.5 inch coaxils for sale... bravox cf60s

dyabolical
07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
How about JL or Dynaudio? A little bit on the top end for the Dynes...but what about the lower end of the JLs?

bri487
07-30-2006, 05:51 PM
i would go with 6.5" revs in the rear as well if you choose to run rears. they will kill those infinty refs.

xluben
07-30-2006, 06:04 PM
i like the sounds of that. i think i'll just go with the rev coax's up front for now, and if i need more output i'll put some in the rear deck.

does anyone know if i can fit them in the doors of a 99 accord without spacers?

azbass
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
the pioneer revs are crapy. lol

90accordman
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
lemme know how this ends up sounding. I'm thinking about putting all pioneer rev coaxial in my accord powered by a planet audio vx3004

beckSHO
08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
You guys just convinced me to get some Revs when I get the money. I'll run them with 20 watts RMS until I can get a new 4-channel amp. Then I'll give them about 50 watts or so RMS. I'll sound deaden my doors too. Should sound pretty nice eh?