PDA

View Full Version : Alpine SPS-13C2

Yuzna
07-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I had a pair of Alpine SPS-13C2 installed upfront today and when I got home I noticed that the right speaker exhibited distortion at volumes that weren't really high. The rest of the speakers show no such distortion. So I took it back and their solution was to turn down the gain on the amp (MRP-F250). Well, this took care of it until I turn of the volume, which I had to do since the gain is lower, and the distortion was back? Could this be due to bad wiring or is the speaker blown?

audiobahnuser18
08-11-2006, 03:38 AM
I had this same problem with my type 3 alpine 2 way coaxials i fixed it myself though i didnt go to the shop i just messed around with the Eq setting's on the Hu and it helped so when i turn it up now i get no distortion what so ever and i also replaced the wiring that goes to the speaker that might of helped to you could try that but i would suggest mess with the EQ settings on your HU first let me know if that helped ya any

KaeZoo
08-11-2006, 08:57 AM
If one speaker distorts and the others don't, then it's likely there's a problem with the speaker. Wiring problems don't usually produce those symptoms. It may be a blown speaker, or poorly mounted, or something like that. I worked with an installer that forgot to take a little silicone "do not eat" packet out of the speaker before he put it in and it made a rattling noise against the cone.

It sounds to me like the shop got lazy when they did the troubleshooting. The proper response to "it distorts when I play it loud" isn't "don't play it loud".