PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask an alarm installer?

Lurius
07-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Heya, Im going to be having an alarm installed sometime soon and have done a little calling around. For the most part they seemed to know their stuff, but I want to be sure of it. What are some good questions to ask an alarm installer before I let them start hacking up my wiring? Im definantly going to be asking them where the 'brain' is going, if they mind me sitting in the back room while they work(incase they have any preference questions), and if they are going to hide all the wiring. What else is good to ask before choosing an installer?

-Lurius

Rawb
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
to see their work...

SATX210
07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
#2 most installers find it very annoying when a customer sits there over there shoulder. i dont go to your job and breathe down your neck, do i? just ask them to prep it and take a look at it. if the prep job is clean then the install will also. you probably cant go to the bay because of OSHA and insurance reasons. check out wwwaudioexpress1.com and go to: competitor installs. thats an example of bad prep and install.

Lurius
07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, keep'm coming. Also, how long should the install take(roughly) for tilt sensor, glass break sensor, 3 mini piezos, battery backup, and battery backed up siren on a viper 791 xv install on a 2004 silverado pickup? When I called and asked the install times I got anywhere from 3hrs to 1 1/2 days, and prices from 175 to 600$(not including parts and alarm)

-Lurius

soulstace
07-25-2006, 08:21 PM
#2 most installers find it very annoying when a customer sits there over there shoulder. i dont go to your job and breathe down your neck, do i? just ask them to prep it and take a look at it.

Yeah then come to find out your seats are full of grease and dash is missing half the screws...

As the old saying goes.. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Lurius
07-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah then come to find out your seats are full of grease and dash is missing half the screws...

As the old saying goes.. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

I think they will do a decent job. One of the places is the same place that did my window tint.

-Lurius

azbass
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
ask them if they know how to wire 5 wire door locks. with relays.

Lurius
07-26-2006, 02:35 AM
I read somewhere that it should take 6 hours to do a decent job of the installation, how true is this? Some of the places said it would only take 3 hours, which seemed a little odd. I dont want to find out later they half-assed installed it just to save time!

-Lurius

azbass
07-26-2006, 02:38 AM
probably 6 hours max for a full remote start alarm with every feature.
i useually knock out basic alarms with door locks in 1-2 hours.

Lurius
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Alright thanks.
-Lurius

Lurius
07-26-2006, 03:23 PM
What about wire connections? Soldered or crimped?

-Lurius

FoxPro5
07-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I think it took 5-6 hours for my Compustar 2WSS installation. They did a nice job. One question I would ask would be what happens if it stops working...do they offer a lifetime warranty?? I needed the crank time adjusted on mine because it wasn't cranking long enough in the winter to remote start my car. I brought it in randomly one day and the adjusted it in 10 minutes. Price for everything was $600.

Also ask them if they will help you when your remote breaks....they don't last forever. :(

Lurius
07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I know I wont have any warranty on the alarms parts as it was bought from a member here, not through a dealer. The place that did my tint warrantys tint, unsure on alarms.. I'll have to call soon.

-Lurius

SATX210
07-28-2006, 02:16 AM
they should cover labor for no less than 5 years, but absolutely no warrantee on parts that were not bought from them

ilvwhtgrls
07-29-2006, 01:33 AM
What about wire connections? Soldered or crimped?

-Lurius

Very important. Most decent shops will have pictures of their installs. Ask them where they will hide the brain, do they use e-tape etc....