PDA

View Full Version : dead mid--testing crossover

ajm
07-25-2006, 03:24 AM
Today I noticed that the mid on the right side (mtx tx6001 components) wasnt working. I pulled the speaker out and checked it with the multimeter. 4 ohm speaker reading ~3.2 ohms..good enough? No scratchy sound when pushed down, no burned smell,etc . The tweeter on that side still works although the idea that the crossover could be shot crossed my mind. Is there anyway I can test it using the multimeter?

Im guessing just test to see if theres a 12v output?

If not ive got a bit of money to spend so I guess im going shopping.

*Edit* right now I have the thing playing from the computer so I guess that rules out the speaker its self being messed up. Ive also checked all the wire connections to the crossover still have to check one other behind the door pannel but I dont see how its possible for that one to come loose.

LoudCrownVic
07-25-2006, 03:28 AM
??? Stumper, bump!

soulstace
07-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Is there anyway I can test it using the multimeter?

Use the ohms setting on the multimeter to do a continuity check on the crossover. From + on the input side to positive on the output side where the mid hooks up. Then from - on the input side to negative on the output side where the mid hooks up. If you don't get a reading it probably means theres a break in the circuit or faulty component somewhere on the circuit board.

GordonW
07-26-2006, 06:13 PM
You might not get any DC connection on a midrange, in a 3-way setup.

If it's a 2-way crossover, then you should get a DC reading on the midbass wire...

Personally, I'd just disconnect the crossover from the car, and test-wire it to the computer amp or whatnot... just take a junk speaker (or really, ANY speaker that's KNOWN to work) and connect it to the output that seems to not be working... if there's no sound out of the crossover, then the crossover's definitely bad...

If it's bad (and the speakers are out of warranty), you might be able to take the crossover to a local speaker reconing or audio repair shop... they might be able to diagnose and repair it. Could be as simple as a broken solder joint, or as complicated as a broken inductor coil or whatnot...

Regards,
Gordon.