PDA

View Full Version : squared boxes vs. molded boxes

dyabolical
07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
So lets say i want to build a box that is lets say.....2 cubic feet. But, it is impossible to build said box with a square design, due to a heavily contoured wall, or small space, or whatever else reason that would be encountered.

But what if i was to fiberglass a box that would allow me to use all those nooks and crannies to achieve that 2 cubic feet of volume.

Would the squared box perform better then the molded box? This is assuming a sealed enclosure of course.

JimJ
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Assuming both were built thick enough, you shouldn't be able to tell a difference between them...

Beat_Dominator
07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Thick/stiff is where it's at.

Prowler573
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
In a sealed enclosure 2 cubes is 2 cubes is 2 cubes, is it not?
I don't think the actual shape of that 2 cubes containing the driver would make a difference one way or the other here.

If I'm wrong and someone can show me why then I'll be glad to retract the previous statement.

dyabolical
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
That is what i thought, but was making sure. Didn't know if the wavy surfaces would change the way the sound waves reflect.

DBfan187
07-24-2006, 09:42 PM
standing waves in sub frequencies is farce.

Wonderbread
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
The only real concerns when you start glassing funny shapes are a) strength and b) getting the volume right ;)

Try packing peanuts to help you get a guesstimate of the actual volume. Strength is just a matter of building it properly and taking your time.

iamamp3pimp
07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
in sealed enclosures, its more of an aspect of pressure, than it is actual sound waves.

squeak12
07-24-2006, 09:47 PM
As long as the contours in the box still allow for air to move around freely, 2 cubic ft is 2 cubic ft.

dyabolical
07-24-2006, 11:16 PM
I had a really weird day dream.

Lets say you have a 12" sub with a mounting depth of 6". Pretty much you build the box as small as possible to fit the sub in with clearance for the magnet. You then put a pvc pipe or whatever you have that is sturdy enough to handle alot of air presure without expanding or exploding into the box.. You then take that tube/hose and run it through the cab to a box located somewhere else in the vehicle. As in say from the rear seat of an extended cab through the rear cab wall into the bed of the truck. Then put the tube into another box that is built to have the volume of what your first box was missing, minus the volume of your tube.

In theory your 2 boxes and connecting hose will have the volume you were needing. Is my theory correct?

.....beer is good...heh.

jujumantb
07-24-2006, 11:19 PM

Lets say you have a 12" sub with a mounting depth of 6". Pretty much you build the box as small as possible to fit the sub in with clearance for the magnet. You then put a pvc pipe or whatever you have that is sturdy enough to handle alot of air presure without expanding or exploding into the box.. You then take that tube/hose and run it through the cab to a box located somewhere else in the vehicle. As in say from the rear seat of an extended cab through the rear cab wall into the bed of the truck. Then put the tube into another box that is built to have the volume of what your first box was missing, minus the volume of your tube.

In theory your 2 boxes and connecting hose will have the volume you were needing. Is my theory correct?

.....beer is good...heh.
no, the air needs to be able to move freely in all parts of the box. With your logic, you could just run a small tube from your box to the outside of the car and the sub would play like free air.

phantom240
07-24-2006, 11:40 PM
What if the tube was REALLY BIG? lol

Volenti
07-25-2006, 04:02 AM
<snip>

.....beer is good...heh.

Long tubes cause the air to resonate at a certain frequency (think of a church pipe organ), this effect would prevent your idea from working with any success.

However when specifically designed to take advantage of this effect TL (Transmission Line) enclosures can give very good results, I've made a dozen or more so far for both car and home use.