PDA

View Full Version : WTf, Boston Pro60's ****

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM
well after running my new pro 60's for about a week or so, (maybe its been two i dont remember). i am sad to say...i am SEVERELY dissappointed. these are the speakers everyone has been talkin about? i mean honestly, they do sound good...but thats it. the mid bass is lacking, and they DO NOT get loud off of 300 watts period. i am runnin them off of the mbquart amp, and i thought maybe i just got a ****ed up amp...decided to switch over to an orion 8002 (again about 300 watts at 3 ohms) and there was no difference in sound. how come everywhere i read, says these things get loud as hell? 300 watts to each speakers and they cant keep up with 1 magnum 15"?????? my old cdt's kept up with 2 15's off of only 200+/- watts. am i just doing something wrong here?

anyone that has an opinon on this let me know, cause i hope its just me.

oh btw, Stereo Integrity...i must say your new magnum is absolutly beautiful. it sounds, looks, and just says "im the ****" even more so than my old 12" claw mag...i must say i am most impressed. as for the bostons they can **** my ****

3.5Max6spd
07-24-2006, 10:48 AM
interesting...

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
interesting...
whats you opinion on the matter...the title was more so to get attention to people that have used them and to get an opinion on whether you think they **** or you think i **** lol. so like i said, what do you think?

Thieroff
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
what kind of sound deadening do you got in your doors bro

whats the install looking like

CT

jujumantb
07-24-2006, 11:00 AM
well, midbass is almost entirely install dependent. As far as overall loudness, dunno. How are they installed, do you have them angled towards you?

bamaboy
07-24-2006, 11:03 AM
mine are plenty loud to me, i dont know about keeping above the sub bass but they do WAY!! better than the rainbows did

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
sound deadening=2 layers dynamatted on each door

loudness=they are kinda angled towards me but not quite. they are installed the exact same way my cdt's were, but they just dont get loud

...maybe im going deaf haha (actually thats not a laughing matter)

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
mine are plenty loud to me, i dont know about keeping above the sub bass but they do WAY!! better than the rainbows did
yea but then again you got 2 15" MT's :crying:

Showrides
07-24-2006, 11:07 AM
well after running my new pro 60's for about a week or so, (maybe its been two i dont remember). i am sad to say...i am SEVERELY dissappointed. these are the speakers everyone has been talkin about? i mean honestly, they do sound good...but thats it. the mid bass is lacking, and they DO NOT get loud off of 300 watts period. i am runnin them off of the mbquart amp, and i thought maybe i just got a ****ed up amp...decided to switch over to an orion 8002 (again about 300 watts at 3 ohms) and there was no difference in sound. how come everywhere i read, says these things get loud as hell? 300 watts to each speakers and they cant keep up with 1 magnum 15"?????? my old cdt's kept up with 2 15's off of only 200+/- watts. am i just doing something wrong here?

oh btw, Stereo Integrity...i must say your new magnum is absolutly beautiful. it sounds, looks, and just says "im the ****" even more so than my old 12" claw mag...i must say i am most impressed. as for the bostons they can **** my ****

Thanks for telling us your thoughts on the new mag. Best of luck finding some nice components to compliment your very nice sub stage.

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for telling us your thoughts on the new mag. Best of luck finding some nice components to compliment your very nice sub stage.
you know why i am so dissappointed? its cause of the mag. i got such a nice sub, that just completly steps over my component setup. so clean, accurate, and just plain loud as well, but the bostons just dont wanna come out to play with it i guess. maybe if the mag ****** i wouldnt complain about the BA's lol

edit: where the hell are my manners. Thank you showrides

Showrides
07-24-2006, 11:10 AM
you know why i am so dissappointed? its cause of the mag. i got such a nice sub, that just completly steps over my component setup. so clean, accurate, and just plain loud as well, but the bostons just dont wanna come out to play with it i guess. maybe if the mag ****** i wouldnt complain about the BA's lol

I got an audiobahn AW1206t laying around if you are interested:D

3.5Max6spd
07-24-2006, 11:11 AM
whats you opinion on the matter...the title was more so to get attention to people that have used them and to get an opinion on whether you think they **** or you think i **** lol. so like i said, what do you think?

My opinion is that i believe its asinine to brag about a 90db sensitivity rated speaker NEEDING 300-400rms per side to get loud...and here you go saying they dont cut it...Just goes to show that everything is car/install dependant.

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I got an audiobahn AW1206t laying around if you are interested:D
haha maybe i would get it for the girl friends ride if she wasnt already gettin my old claw mag :yumyum:

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:14 AM
My opinion is that i believe its asinine to brag about a 90db sensitivity rated speaker NEEDING 300-400rms per side to get loud...and here you go saying they dont cut it...
i didnt brag about anything...all i said is that with 300 watts they dont get loud. me and my friend who both ran the cdt's agree. so if they dont get loud with 300 watts, why would i run them with the rated 125 watts? **** they wouldnt get louder than my stock speakers with that power

Thieroff
07-24-2006, 11:14 AM
did you wire them out of phase george?

3.5Max6spd
07-24-2006, 11:16 AM
i didnt brag about anything...all i said is that with 300 watts they dont get loud. me and my friend who both ran the cdt's agree. so if they dont get loud with 300 watts, why would i run them with the rated 125 watts? **** they wouldnt get louder than my stock speakers with that power

I didnt say you bragged about it, but all you hear from users is that they get soooo loud and NEED 300-400rms ....

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
did you wire them out of phase george?
nope, that was the first thing i checked. im hoping that someway, somehow i am just gettin a cancellation issue cause i feel cheated right now.

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I didnt say you bragged about it, but all you hear from users is that they get soooo loud and NEED 300-400rms ....
sorry dude, i thought you were going off on me. i was like "umm i dont remember talkin **** to this guy" lol. anyways your right though. but i can see why people say they need 300 watts rms, because off of the rated 125 they just dont seem to get loud at all to my ears, and something is off about the sensitivity rating. if they are really 90db they shouldnt need anywhere NEAR that power to get loud

3.5Max6spd
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
sorry dude, i thought you were going off on me. i was like "umm i dont remember talkin **** to this guy" lol. anyways your right though. but i can see why people say they need 300 watts rms, because off of the rated 125 they just dont seem to get loud at all to my ears, and something is off about the sensitivity rating. if they are really 90db they shouldnt need anywhere NEAR that power to get loud

Trust me, I'm all about having some extra headroom as far as power goes. But I found your initial post 'interesting(post #2)' because you have substantial power, the type of power that everyone suggests they will get ridiculously loud with, and you are disappointed with their output. Are you running them in coax form?

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Trust me, I'm all about having some extra headroom as far as power goes. But I found your initial post 'interesting(post #2)' because you have substantial power, the type of power that everyone suggests they will get ridiculously loud with, and you are disappointed with their output. Are you running them in coax form?
yes sir. i am runnin them in coaxial form.

3.5Max6spd
07-24-2006, 11:36 AM
yes sir. i am runnin them in coaxial form.

Did you have the EF's in braxial form for comparison?

Moe Lester
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
pics of install? id like to see how you have everything set up

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Did you have the EF's in braxial form for comparison?
right now the tweets are still in my door panel since if i take them out im gonna have a big *** hole haha but yes, what i am comparing to was when i had the tweets mounted about 3" away from the mid inside the door.

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:42 AM
pics of install? id like to see how you have everything set up
its setup just like any regular speakers. i used the 5x7 to 6.5" conversion rings that boston provided and thats all. tweets are mounted on top of the mid from the factory and thats how i kept them.

IgnoreMe
07-24-2006, 11:53 AM
ok guys well just post if you want but i wont be able to respond anymore till next week since thats the only times i can use a computer.

Kickerkitty
07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
ok GEORGE, let me help you GEORGE, you are correct, Pro60's ****, so send them to me ASAP and I will give you some nice Audiobombs to install.

ok GEORGE, FIRST problem. YOUR SPEAKERS DON'T NEED 300 WATTS TO GET LOUD!!!! I gave mine 300+ per side and they were DEAFENING!!!! This leads me to think one of two things... a) You're an idiot or b) you're an idiot!!!

I have 125 per side going to mine and they are SUPERB!!!!

George, go to your amp for your Bostons. TURN OFF BASS BOOSTS, TURN OFF CROSSOVERS TURN IT ALL OFF ****IT!!! Now, SET YOUR GAINS PROPERLY!!!!!!

Ok, are you ready for this? CROSS THEM OVER AT A REASONABLE LEVEL AND TURN THEM UP!!!! If they don't get loud, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO WIRE A SPEAKER!!!!

If this doesn't fix it, take them out, pee on them, defecate on them, and SET THEM ON FIRE and NEVER, I say NEVER, INSULT A BA PRODUCT AGAIN, BA OWNS YOU!!!!!!!!

Kickerkitty
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
On a more polite note, you're probably just used to exaggerated midbass. I have no similar problems with half the power. Although now that I think about it, I got more midbass when I went from 300+ watts to 125. Hmmmm

Kickerkitty
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Why don't you tell him how you really feel? :D

lol

headless
07-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Although now that I think about it, I got more midbass when I went from 300+ watts to 125. Hmmmm

What? Does not compute.

WhoSayWho?
07-24-2006, 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear that. But there was some guy on here recently who seemed to be very impressed with the way his Pro 60's kept up with his 12" mag. Maybe you can find that thread and he can put you on the right path.

60ndown
07-24-2006, 01:11 PM
maybe turn the sub amp down a lil? then when volume is increased comp amp will keep up? perhaps the sensitivity/gain increase of the 2 amps is different? sub amp gets way loud before component amp is even cruiseing?

bamaboy
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
are you sure the gain is set right?

the midbass will get a little nasty on 80hz, so i just crossed them at 100hz and went with that

3.5Max6spd
07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Anyone know what xover frequency is used on the Boston set for tweet and mid?

Theres a hardness in the upper midrange that comes across a little harsh when you pile on some volume. Trying to help a friend tune ...

PollyCranopolis
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Don't know about the Pro's, but I recently bought a set of SL60's, which are a step below. I must say I was really disapointed in the performance. My CDT CL61A's, abosolutley devastate these Bostons as far as midbass response. I had to put the Bostons in the back for rear fill, set the crossover to 125hz, and turn the gain halfway down. Setting anything diffrent makes the mids distort terribly, and sound like popcorn popping. Considering the Boston passive dwarfs the CDT's in size, and the tweet isnt near as smooth makes me really question BA. Not to mention I've never had more trouble installing tweeters in my life.

snb778
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
you should try to bi-amp them...?? see its reviews like these that made me go with the MB's...even though I still think the Bostons have to get louder from what ive heard. these MB's really dont cut it for what they are worth

headless
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
*hugs his germaniums*
Am i the only one around here who's totally happy with their purchase? ;) hehehe

IgnoreMe
07-29-2006, 04:11 PM
ok guy, im tryin to troubleshoot these **** things slowly. heres what ive come up with. ive checked the polarity, and all speakers are wired in phase. so thats not it. but i think i may have stumbled on to something here.

ok when i set up my amp i set it up to 25 volts on each channel, abot 208 watts for each one. anyways when i turn it up the speakers pull WAYYY to the right side of the car. im thinking ok well thats just a timing issue and i should adjust time correction or something. so i go to sit in the passanger seat and now the speaker pulls even more to the right side. so im like "what the ****". i go back to adjust my gains. in order for me to get a slight pull to the left when in the drivers seat, and a slight pull to the right in the passanger seat i have to set my gains like this

left channel: 30 volts which is equal to 300 watts

right channel: 22 volts which is equal to 161 watts

hmmm, now why the **** is that? you think i got a defective left speaker? or maybe the crossover is no good on the left side? what could cause this, i checked my ohm load on both loads (including crossovers and tweeters) and final load came out to be 3.3 ohms on each speakers so they are even. what could be causing this? i know my amp isnt ****ed up cause i tried with an orion 8002 and it does the same thing. also i had my cd player fixed recently so you think that could be it? i doubt it cause the clip indicators on the amp light up at about 24 volts and 24.5 on the other channel so the preouts to me, seem fine. PLEASE SOMEONE SMARTER THAN ME HELP!!!

IgnoreMe
07-29-2006, 09:30 PM
bump

btw, you think this could be cause by old, bad RCA cables? or does it sound more like its the preouts on the cd player? remember i just got my alpine fixed, since its an old model, and all they fixed was the printed circuit board...is this a common problem maybe? also how do you test preouts with a dmm?

Kickerkitty
07-30-2006, 04:26 AM
That's a really strange problem, not sure I've heard of anything like that before....

IgnoreMe
07-30-2006, 09:58 AM
That's a really strange problem, not sure I've heard of anything like that before....
honestly, this is so frustrating and it feels like i just wasted so much money on this ****. i just want a working fcuking system again. it just makes me want to scrap my whole car buy a new one and start completly the hell over. :crying:

60ndown
07-30-2006, 10:02 AM
try reverseing the rca, if the louder channel switches sides its NOT the speakers.

IgnoreMe
07-30-2006, 10:05 AM
try reverseing the rca, if the louder channel switches sides its NOT the speakers.
will do. is there anyway to check rcas with a dmm as well? this is just frustrating because all the stuff is under warranty nd i dont know which is the problem. by the time i figure it out, everything will be out of warranty.

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 10:21 AM
left channel: 30 volts which is equal to 300 watts

right channel: 22 volts which is equal to 161 watts
Bad RCAs can't cause this problem. Thnk about it, you're getting that power from the amp. That means that the problem is downrange from the amp. I has to be either the speakers, the crossover, or the install.

IgnoreMe
07-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Bad RCAs can't cause this problem. Thnk about it, you're getting that power from the amp. That means that the problem is downrange from the amp. I has to be either the speakers, the crossover, or the install.
well ichecked my install and everything seems fine. all the wires are good and everything is wired correctly. speakers are mounted firmly and all that. now you say, its either the crossovers or the speakers.

i checked my load going from the speakers+crossovers+tweeters to the amp (actually from the amp, but whatever). ipulled the wires from the amp and checked the left channel and i get 3.3ohms, and then i check the right channel and get 3.3ohms...this would suggest the speakers and crossovers are good no??

helotaxi
07-30-2006, 10:53 AM
i checked my load going from the speakers+crossovers+tweeters to the amp (actually from the amp, but whatever). ipulled the wires from the amp and checked the left channel and i get 3.3ohms, and then i check the right channel and get 3.3ohms...this would suggest the speakers and crossovers are good no??
That tells you the Re of the total load, not the impedance characteristics. Nor does it tell you if there is a bad component in the crossover. Try this to see what I mean. Disconnect either the woofer or the tweet from the crossover and test it as above. You'll probably get the same value or really close to it.

Physically swap the speakers left and right and see what happens.

IgnoreMe
07-30-2006, 11:01 AM
That tells you the Re of the total load, not the impedance characteristics. Nor does it tell you if there is a bad component in the crossover. Try this to see what I mean. Disconnect either the woofer or the tweet from the crossover and test it as above. You'll probably get the same value or really close to it.

Physically swap the speakers left and right and see what happens.
ok ill do that then and see whats up

acold7dusta
07-30-2006, 01:00 PM
did you try wiring them directly to the headunit?

IgnoreMe
07-30-2006, 02:54 PM
ok well heres what i did. i switched the RCA's over. the left channel is now the right, and vice versa. heres what happened. the left speakers was still quiet and the soundstage pulled to the right heavily. so basically that rules out the amp, cd player, rcas.

so this basically proves that either the left tweet, mid, or xover is screwed up yea? btw anyone have experience with returning anything to "the12Vkings" on ebay? i remember when i got the speaker set 1 grill cover was cracked and broken and i tlked to them and they said it must of came from the factory like that and they will take care of it, but now i installed them, so are they still returnable?