PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio Recievers

Pop da Hatch
07-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Can someone recommend me a decent reciever? Im looking into a dayton plate amp on ebay as well as a dayton amp to run some speakers, yet Im having no luck finding a decent reciever...........help please.

btw $100 - 300. Thanks

protonman
07-22-2006, 11:52 PM
try the panasonic line of receivers with their digital amplification chip design. Its got all the rage of people at avsforum.com. The receiver is very thin and small, almost looks like a dvd player but it packs a good punch. It uses class T digital chip amps... And best of all they are very cheap compared to higher ends and sound the same and sometimes better.

I have got the older model panasonic sa-xr25 which I got for like $70 sears floor model and it packs a punch for what I need. The new panasonic receiver have same digital class T design but with more modern features like hdmi and other various features. look at panasonic website. The newer one are between 200-300 dollars.

good luck

Pop da Hatch
07-22-2006, 11:54 PM
right on dude - link - or am I gonna havta search?

Prowler573
07-22-2006, 11:54 PM
If you're going to use outboard amplification to power the speakers then you don't need a receiver.
You need a dedicated tuner and a preamp :fyi:

Pop da Hatch
07-22-2006, 11:58 PM
If you're going to use outboard amplification to power the speakers then you don't need a receiver.
You need a dedicated tuner and a preamp :fyi:

yeah I was reading your other thread on your home audio set-up. I guess I am a bit confused and just wanted to build a small system for school that consisted of:

Amp for speakers
Plate amp for subs
Some way to provide the beats - such as playin cds.

Prowler573
07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
What a receiver is is a preamp (source switching and some form of equalization even if nothing more complicated than treble and bass controls), a tuner (self-explanatory) and an amplifier (also self-explanatory).

Like I said ~ if you're using outboard amplification to drive all of your speakers then you'd be wasting a receiver only using 2/3 of its capabilities. (unless you're also wanting the inbuilt surround processing assuming you'd buy a receiver designed to run home theatre)

Pop da Hatch
07-23-2006, 12:08 AM
hmm assuming the reciever puts out some amplification?

Prowler573
07-23-2006, 12:08 AM
What a receiver is is a preamp (source switching and some form of equalization even if nothing more complicated than treble and bass controls), a tuner (self-explanatory) and an amplifier (also self-explanatory).

Like I said ~ if you're using outboard amplification to drive all of your speakers then you'd be wasting a receiver only using 2/3 of its capabilities. (unless you're also wanting the inbuilt surround processing assuming you'd buy a receiver designed to run home theatre)

:word:

Pop da Hatch
07-23-2006, 12:10 AM
sorry missread that was all together - thanks for the help all might prowler.

Prowler573
07-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Not almighty, friend. Not by any means. Just very opinionated! :laugh:

JimJ
07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
If I were you, I'd probably be looking at vintage integrated amps for two channel stuff, unless you want 5.1 surround capability in the future :)

Especially in a dorm, you want a piece of equipment that's built like a tank.

Pop da Hatch
07-23-2006, 12:58 AM
JimJ speaks - yeah Im not in the dorms any longer - you got any suggestions or links - it wont be 5.1

JimJ
07-23-2006, 01:00 AM
I bought my NAD 3020 on Ebay for $200'ish...hell of an integrated for that price, and it's easily convertible to a component preamp if you want to upgrade to a seperate power amplifier.

I've been thinking about selling it...but I like the **** thing too much to part with it :)

Pop da Hatch
07-23-2006, 01:21 AM
nice - those dayton parts express plate amps look pretty temping to me - gotta have my bass.

protonman
07-23-2006, 04:36 AM
here are some links.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0009E1YPW/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/104-0968020-5774345?ie=UTF8&n=14269191&s=electronics

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=594355&highlight=panasonic

Trust me, most bang for the buck is the panasonic under $300..
You could buy tuner, amp and other processor but all that adds up $$$. Numeroux owners have reported panasonic equivalent to $2k system receivers and some reports even indicated article saying its a KRELL Killer, and you know KRELL is like the top of all amps.

Your choice, but if I were you, get the panasonic from local frys electronic or any store and just test it out before putting down big $$$ on separate components..
Its not like car audio at all. I only wish car audio had some headunits with that functions, panasonic line of headunits does have the digital amp chip class T( I think) but I think it didn't go anywhere.

Scoobydoo
07-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I have an old Dynaco Pat-4 preamp for sale