PDA

View Full Version : one crossover for two speakers?

maldecido33
07-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm gonna have a dayton 5 1/4" woofer with a 2nd order rolloff crossover, and dayton 1 1/8" tweeter with a 4th order rolloff crossover, I decided i want to do a pair of each; IE two woofers and two tweeters.

Do I need an x-over for each tweeter and one for each woofer, or will one for each pair suffice?

DC8 Flyer
07-22-2006, 01:53 PM
I think, again I THINK, if this is a "factory" crossover you can't put more than one speaker on each output (one woofer one tweeter). The crossover is designed to a certain ohm load and if you change that load you change the load the amp sees to something you don't want. If you are building this crossover, just run the numbers for a 2ohm load and that will give you the correct parts to use.

Again, just from what I have been reading about crossovers, that is the idea I got from it.

maldecido33
07-22-2006, 02:08 PM
yea its gonna be custom, not a factory xover

JimJ
07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Ditch the two tweets per channel idea, you're just adding unnecessary complexity and are going to have to run an L-pad anyway to keep the things from sounding really bright and harsh on the top end.

squeak9798
07-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Ditch the two tweets per channel idea, you're just adding unnecessary complexity and are going to have to run an L-pad anyway to keep the things from sounding really bright and harsh on the top end.

:word:

And yes, you can then run both woofers from a single xover.

Just be sure to calculate the xover based off the impedance presented to it by both woofers.

squeak9798
07-22-2006, 02:32 PM
The crossover is designed to a certain ohm load and if you change that load you change the load the amp sees to something you don't want

The reason you don't want to change the impedance presented to the xover, on a pre-designed xover, is because the xover is designed to be used with a certain impedance. The components used in the crossover (inductors, caps, etc) will determine the xover point, and is only "good" for that single impedance. If you change the impedance presented to the xover, you will change the xover point of that xover.