PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

joetama
07-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Do any of you guys use headphones and what do you use? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580's and am in the market for a good headphone amp. Does anyone use a good one.

I'm two that I am looking at now are Grado's headphone amp and Creek Audio's OBH-21....

.::DuD3::.
07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
my friend had a pair of the bose noise cancelling head phones, and they were awesome. they are more of a midrange headset, so dont expect a lot of bass, like you would sony or whatever. i would pick one up, but they are pretty pricey.

joetama
07-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Eeee not so much on the Bose, I already have $300 cans (got them when they first came out for dealer priceing)... However these Sennheisers and my Sony MDR-7506 are my two favorite headphones. When I mix I always use the Sonys...

JimJ
07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
What's your budget for the amp?

Might as well build one...a single ended 6EA7 design would give you 2 watts per side, be pretty cheap and replacement tubes are five bucks.

Beat_Dominator
07-20-2006, 11:43 PM
The Grado is highly liked and that Creek is gaining in popularity quickly.

I have had a set of AKG K501's for almost 6 years now..... you can have em when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

CrazedCat
07-20-2006, 11:48 PM
What's your budget? You won't find much better than Sennheiser for the price...either their high or low end headphones.

joetama
07-20-2006, 11:48 PM
What's your budget for the amp?

Might as well build one...a single ended 6EA7 design would give you 2 watts per side, be pretty cheap and replacement tubes are five bucks.

I was thinking something tube maybe... Does someone make kits for them? Like Decware or something? I guess I should have something tube in my setup ;)

joetama
07-20-2006, 11:49 PM
What's your budget? You won't find much better than Sennheiser for the price...either their high or low end headphones.

I was planning on keeping the HD580's but I am looking for an amp of some kind. I was just curious of what other people used....

heyman421
07-20-2006, 11:52 PM
are you looking for a new set with natural sound a la sennheiser? or are you going for the more dynamic, enhanced sound a la sony?

i was pretty big on headphones a while back when i was misenchanted with car audio by an unfortunate ebay incident

joetama
07-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Well I listen to music almost constantly from the time I wake up in the morning till the time I go to bed at night, which is usually late. The problem is my neighbors get pissed at me if I use my stereo so I use my headphones. My home system is B&W 703's with Rotel Amplification and soon to be a Rotel Processor. So, my "dream" cans setup would be not being able to tell that much of a difference putting my phones on and listening to my main system. So, I guess what I’m saying is I want a true natural sound... I defiantly am going to keep the HD580’s or until I find something that blows them away for the same amount of money, which isn’t going to happen.

heyman421
07-21-2006, 12:00 AM
so you wanna stay open air?

i've heard nothing but good about grado rs-1's

the new styling is eh, tho

JimJ
07-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I was thinking something tube maybe... Does someone make kits for them? Like Decware or something? I guess I should have something tube in my setup ;)

Decware has a pre-built headphone amp, but it's pricey @ $600ish.

Bottlehead has a kit for $380.

You could probably assemble all the parts to build one yourself for under $200.

joetama
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
I defiantly like the open air for home systems, and defiantly like the closed Sony's for mixing. I used to do a lot but not so much anymore, mixing for bands and such... To me the opens are a home audio system sound and the closed are a pro-audio sound. That's the way that it makes sense to me. I have 5 or 6 sets of headphones I have acquired since I was younger. (Ranging from CRAP Koss phones to the HD580's)

heyman421
07-21-2006, 12:05 AM
check out http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/

nothing like yet another forum to get addicted to :)

~edit~ fixed link

Beat_Dominator
07-21-2006, 12:06 AM
I've been a member at head-fi for a looooong time :) Good people over there.

joetama
07-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Decware has a pre-built headphone amp, but it's pricey @ $600ish.

Bottlehead has a kit for $380.

You could probably assemble all the parts to build one yourself for under $200.

Decent, I might have to give that a look... I just went and looked at the Decware one and was thinking that was a bit pricey.... I really never seriously thought about the tube amp until you mentioned it. I might talk to my grandfather about building one, he used to build his own amps in the 50's and 60's for pro/home audio....

brandontw
07-21-2006, 06:52 AM
i have the same phonse as you, i dont use an amp for them but whenever i get around to it im going to build one of these:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

they are supposed to be dang good little amps actually, especially for the money.

Scoobydoo
07-21-2006, 03:45 PM
i have a friend who has a cmoy op amp for sale if you dont want to build it yourself, think he wants $50, it is in an altoids tin

Shugarra
07-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Hey, I work for a place called HeadRoom (headphone.com) and we manufacture headphone amplifiers. They are a little pricey, I'll give that, but very honestly they are of good quality. The lowest end line has a plastic enclosure, but you can get one with a built in usb dac for $199, and we have a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

I totally realize I probably sound like a corporate shill, but I'm just trying to help out. And, by the way, if you ever look to upgrade your headphones go with the AKG 701s. We have demo pairs of every headphone we sell that the staff can listen to and almost every single person there prefers the 701 to everything else we sell.

ngsm13
07-24-2006, 02:42 AM
Sweet.

nG

Beat_Dominator
07-24-2006, 01:43 PM
:word: Headroom pwns.

xluben
07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
yeah, i'm a member at head-fi also. i would definitely go there for headphone amp suggesttions.

i have the super.fi 5eb's and most of the koss 60 ohms cans. for amps i have a pa2v2 and a few cmoy's that i've made. (yeah i know it's all budget stuff) but i'm not into headphones that much right now, maybe more after school starts up full time and i'll be using them more.

Hebrew Hammer
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey, I work for a place called HeadRoom (headphone.com) and we manufacture headphone amplifiers. They are a little pricey, I'll give that, but very honestly they are of good quality. The lowest end line has a plastic enclosure, but you can get one with a built in usb dac for $199, and we have a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

I totally realize I probably sound like a corporate shill, but I'm just trying to help out. And, by the way, if you ever look to upgrade your headphones go with the AKG 701s. We have demo pairs of every headphone we sell that the staff can listen to and almost every single person there prefers the 701 to everything else we sell.

Dude.....

How dare you introduce me into another world of hifi.....:)

MOD's please erase his post.....:naughty:

T3mpest
08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
heaphones are ****, imagine a perfect listening environment... No, PLD's or cancellation, just pure sound, gotta love it. Once I finish my car I'm uprgrading again, I'm using 650's right now.