PDA

View Full Version : putting comps in home audio

Rsx_03
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
my mom gave me $300 to buy 4 speakers for our living room (im redoing to roof so might as well put some hidden wire and boxes right :naughty: )

would car audio speakers work well in home audio? i know bout car audio but nothing about home audio

oh and speakers im buyin are crystal sscs6 components
come to $297 local pickup at ikes

Prowler573
07-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Keep in mind that your average SVC mobile audio speaker is rated @ 4 Ohms.
Your average home speaker is rated @ 8 Ohms (and consequently your average home stereo receiver is designed to operate best when presented with an 8 Ohm load per output)

Hope that doesn't throw too much of a kink in your plans...

Rsx_03
07-20-2006, 11:10 PM
yea i saw most are 8 ohms
our old one is 6 ohms and i tested couple 4 ohm speakers on it before and handled it to like 3/4 power so it will get loud enough but later were going to look at a newer amplifier

squeak9798
07-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Well, there are a few things that make it "iffy".

First, as Prowler mentioned, most audio receivers don't like impedances much below 8ohms.

Second, a lot of car audio speakers are designed to operate best in an infinite baffle setup.

Third, a lot of car audio speakers are designed primarily based on the off-axis response, since most installations will require that the speakers be pretty far off-axis. Whereas in home audio, you'll be much more on-axis.

Overall, I think you'd be better of either buying used home audio speakers, or DIY'ing them with home audio based drivers.

Look on places like the partsexpress showcase and http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/default.htm for some cost effective DIY ideas.

Also, I'm relocating this to the home audio section.

thadman
07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
I wouldnt use caraudio kit speakers in the home environment, just because you can get them for so much cheaper if you buy all the drivers individually

4 Dayton RS270S-10s + 2 BG Neo8s (2 mids + 1 Neo8 per tower) in an openbaffle/dipole configuration...o man

The Neo8s can go as low as 500hz and as long as you cross below 1350hz, you shouldnt have any beaming issues with the 10s.

If you've got issues about beaming, you could go with 6 8s or 8 7s. They've all got the same displacement capabilities, except the 8s and 10s have a FS around 26hz so theyd dig deeper

The Dayton Reference drivers all add up to $240 (120/tower) for either configs (4 10s, 6 8s, 8 7s) and the BG Neo8s are 60/each. You're looking at $360 + xovers for an absolutely phenomenal set of speakers without any cone/box resonances, room modes, and the addition of the dipole effect :D

sorry didnt see your budget, but you can go with half as many drivers and probably get equal results (although less output)

These will absolutely blow you away! You wont find a nicer set of speakers...unless you delve into the upper thousands of dollars

Worlddre
07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, there are a few things that make it "iffy".

First, as Prowler mentioned, most audio receivers don't like impedances much below 8ohms.

Second, a lot of car audio speakers are designed to operate best in an infinite baffle setup.

Third, a lot of car audio speakers are designed primarily based on the off-axis response, since most installations will require that the speakers be pretty far off-axis. Whereas in home audio, you'll be much more on-axis.

Overall, I think you'd be better of either buying used home audio speakers, or DIY'ing them with home audio based drivers.

Look on places like the partsexpress showcase and http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/default.htm for some cost effective DIY ideas.

Also, I'm relocating this to the home audio section.

exactly!!! with some careful planning and design you could shock yourself with what can be done with $300