PDA

View Full Version : DLS vs Focal vs Rainbow

phyphoestilic
07-20-2006, 03:27 AM
First of all, I know that it will really depend on the setup, but I want to know which of these speakers you guys would prefer. BTW they are all 3-ways.

ItalynStylion
07-20-2006, 06:35 AM
So im guessing from the selection that price makes no difference? Just based on the reporduction abilities of each speaker set right?

3.5Max6spd
07-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Passive or Active?

Dont quite see where the Iridium fits in the comparison. Tonally night and day from the Focal/Rainbow choices.

As far as depending on the setup...I do not think is remotely possible to achieve the same level of dynamics out of the Iridium set. I dont find it a dynamic speaker- its warm, laid back top end, mellow midrange, tweeter has it seems an early rolloff and thus lacks in high freq extension. Midbass is a toss up, some like it, some dont. Precision is not its strength, its rather thick in sound and on the smoother side.

You can expect a more pronounced kick drum, solid snap out of the other sets. More colorful and pronounced midrange. While the DLS have body, they dont have the 'chest' these do out of vocals. And both tweets capable of good top end extension, the K2P tweet being harder to tame and more prone need help to tune down unless the install is ideal. That is a tweeter than can drown out your fronstage easily.

Only way you can get these speakers to sound like Iridiums is to throw a wet towel over them. Not poking fun, they just are that different.

phyphoestilic
07-20-2006, 11:53 AM
The main thing was the price, Their all around the same price, the DLS is off a little by about 100. But yeah I heard about the midbass being sluggish, But I head the focal's were a little bright. I guess my two main choices would be between the Rainbows and Focals. But I threw in the DLS incase someone would choose it. Just keeping my options open. Also notice that its the K3P UV with the stronger midbass. I dont know if you have heard that one before.

I will probably be going Active later on, but for now which would be better for passive?

So to answer ItalynStylion price isnt a factor.

BTW thanks for the replys.

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I have been pondering the Focal K2P -vs- various Rainbow lines as well.

FoxPro5
07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
If you are going to go all active in the future it would be better IMO to go the DIY route and mix and match drivers that meet your specific sound preferences and will work better in your install.

But as far as what you have listed, I would go Rainbow in a heartbeat just for the tweets!!!!

6spdcoupe
07-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Rainbows are winnin? :woot:

:D

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I got poked by the Rainbow boner and ordered the Vanadiums today.

**** boner.

6spdcoupe
07-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I know ;)

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:25 PM
I hope they can handle the VRx 4.300! Actually, I am sure they can, I just hope they sound as great as you guys say! If so, I can say I was happy with the boner . . . . er, wait, nevermind. I'll just be happy with them.

6spdcoupe
07-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Dont worry they will with ease. You have a few nice things comin your way huh? :D

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Dont worry they will with ease. You have a few nice things comin your way huh? :D

Absolutely, can't wait to put them together and let them play.

BTW, should I be concerned, or look into mouting the tweet some other place other than the door pods. Going to be fiberglassing those soon as well.

6spdcoupe
07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
try em in different spots. I dont recall which car it is, so I couldnt even tell ya where to start..

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:31 PM
04 Tahoe, not going to let you get off that easy. I am the customer from hell! :)

6spdcoupe
07-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Oh easy car then...theyll actually work well right above the midbass. Nah, there really are PITAs out there, you sir are not one of them. ;)

You can also call me if its easier..

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I think I have threadjacked enough. I am heading out of town, but I am sure you will here more from me :crap:. Thanks again for all the help, can't wait to see my babies.

6spdcoupe
07-20-2006, 11:47 PM
No problem Ill ttyl..

FoxPro5
07-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I got poked by the Rainbow boner and ordered the Vanadiums today.

**** boner.

Is that the Profi Van with the Cal 26 Alum domes? FWIW, I had the Pro Vans with the Cal 25 Alums and they were too bright *for me* up on the A pillar. Nice set though...mids really play nice and low and smooooooooth. Like 6spd mentioned, you really have to move them around to see what works best in your car. Sorry to threadjack too, but hopefully this info will help the OP in his decision making process.

mikeyboc
07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Is that the Profi Van with the Cal 26 Alum domes? FWIW, I had the Pro Vans with the Cal 25 Alums and they were too bright *for me* up on the A pillar. Nice set though...mids really play nice and low and smooooooooth. Like 6spd mentioned, you really have to move them around to see what works best in your car. Sorry to threadjack too, but hopefully this info will help the OP in his decision making process.

Just waiting on the UPS man next week :)

6spdcoupe
07-21-2006, 12:01 AM

Theyre the newer revised CAL26 VOF Titaniums. Still a hard dome but a bit more tame. ;)

6spdcoupe
07-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Just waiting on the UPS man next week :)

FedEx sir, FedEx.

mikeyboc
07-21-2006, 12:02 AM
FedEx sir, FedEx.
:wallbash:

I definately think I am helping out with your mortgage lately (and more to come I believe)!

FoxPro5
07-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Theyre the newer revised CAL26 VOF Titaniums. Still a hard dome but a bit more tame. ;)

VOF? Look at Mr Technical guy ova heee :)

6spdcoupe
07-21-2006, 12:05 AM
:wallbash:

I definately think I am helping out with your mortgage lately (and more to come I believe)!

:woot:

If you only knew how little tho... :crap:

brypink
07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
FedEx sir, FedEx.
:furious:

phyphoestilic
07-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Everyone jacked my thread. lol, but yeah I'll probably go with the rainbows, maybe a few more days to look around and finnaly decide.

6spdcoupe
07-21-2006, 07:32 AM
:furious:

LoL it could have been worse with UPS...;)

3.5Max6spd
07-21-2006, 08:15 AM
I hope they can handle the VRx 4.300! Actually, I am sure they can, I just hope they sound as great as you guys say! If so, I can say I was happy with the boner . . . . er, wait, nevermind. I'll just be happy with them.

Ask around other Audison users. If those amps can warm up and tone down Focal K2p's, you are in for a nice treat with the Cal26titan which is much less of a problem to dial in right. ;)

3.5Max6spd
07-21-2006, 08:17 AM

Those cal25's are on the Power CMX set now. Thats alot of detail for $300 set.:)

brypink
07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
LoL it could have been worse with UPS...;)
lol Yeah...but let's hope it doesn't get worse with FedEx.