PDA

View Full Version : enough power for PG xenon 6.5"

bballer123
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
I am reading that pheonix gold x6.5 are amazing for the $$$. My concern is I am not sending loads of power to them. I will only be sending 20 maybe 25 watts to the tweet and maybe 40 or 50 watts to the components. Will that be pretty loud? I know loud is a relative and subjective term. (loud enough for me is like music at a club) I am not looking for it quite that loud, but I think you can understand what I want. Would it be smarter to get something with a little high sensitivity. xenons are like 88db. Should I get something more like 91 or 92db? My main goal is sql.

THanks

zachzchw
07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
What are you going to power them with?
Are you not planning on using the crossovers that come with the set?

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I am powering them with my stock amp that came with my car ('03 santa fe). it says like 216 watts?
I should be using the crossover right? I dont want the components to play anything under 80hz. I have a type-r that will punch the lows.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 05:11 PM
i if you havent bought those yet, i suggest you dont, mine were terrible. they never sounded good, then after about 2 month one mid stopped working, then a tweeter blew... ick!

After i blew those, i switched back to my mbquart coaxials that i had been using for 2 years prior to the xenons. Not only did they not blow up in over two years, but the sound way better that the PG's ever did.

I suggest MB quart for sure. if their coaxial are that good, i imagine their comps are great!

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
i if you havent bought those yet, i suggest you dont, mine were terrible. they never sounded good, then after about 2 month one mid stopped working, then a tweeter blew... ick!
How much power were you feeding them?
Anyone else ever have this problem?

Towncar
07-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Mine sound fantastic.. If you plan on using the amp in your car, then i suggest you look elsewhere. Ide run atleast 100 to the xenon set. I run a xenon 200.2 to my 5.25 set.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I have about 85 RMS from the ZX6400, but it was all level matched and tuned so it was prolly less than that.

I almost felt like it was my fault somehow, but i treated them no different than the MB quarts and those have been going for years!

brandontw
07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
my freind also has a set running on an orion 4002? i think--- his is supposed to be 100 RMSx2 and he doesnt like his much either, they just dont have great sound quality, he is in the market for some
MB quarts after hearing my coaxials....LOL

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
so brandon you got MB coaxials?

brandontw
07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Yup...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-RCE-216-REFERENCE-6-5-COMPONENT-CAR-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ270008241382QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3 2819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mmmmmm im gonna be buying these soon i do believe....

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Mine sound fantastic.. If you plan on using the amp in your car, then i suggest you look elsewhere. Ide run atleast 100 to the xenon set. I run a xenon 200.2 to my 5.25 set.
Would MB Quart RCE-216 be more suitable for my situation?

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Yup...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-RCE-216-REFERENCE-6-5-COMPONENT-CAR-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ270008241382QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3 2819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mmmmmm im gonna be buying these soon i do believe....
wow haha perfect timing on posting

brandontw
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
im not sure of the specifics on this amp that came with the car, but is it actually an external amp or are you just talking about the Head unit?

You really should upgrade to an aftermarket amp eventually...

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:50 PM
no its an actual external amp that is underneath the front passenger seat. Yeah I know I should upgrade to something better, but there are just a few too many things that I want before a new multi-channel amp.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Well if it is actually an external amp, chances are it will still be leaps and bounds better than the amps in even a high end head unit, So i would go ahead and give it a shot. i think the MB's would be less power hungry than the PG's, but i hate to be the only opinion influencing you to buy these... if you dont like them i dont want to be to blame... i dont think you wont like them though... i have yet to hear any mb quarts that i didnt like, infact my favorite components to date were MB quarts (signature line, 1000$)

Towncar
07-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Would MB Quart RCE-216 be more suitable for my situation?

A budy of mine has that exact set.. They are ok, overall my xenons beat them all across the board imo. You just need to take some time, and properly power them, and tune them, just like with any other comp set. They are power hogs, so be sure to have some power to get them going.

bballer123
07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
A budy of mine has that exact set.. They are ok, overall my xenons beat them all across the board imo. You just need to take some time, and properly power them, and tune them, just like with any other comp set. They are power hogs, so be sure to have some power to get them going.
Which set are you saying are power hogs?

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Do they beat them in volume or in volume and sound quality? i havent personally heard the 216's but i cant imagine the xenons beating them...

Towncar
07-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Do they beat them in volume or in volume and sound quality? i havent personally heard the 216's but i cant imagine the xenons beating them...

You would be suprised. The xenons had a smoother response, and a much more laid back tweet. Midrange sounds great. Only thing they are lacking is in the midbass department. You would be hard pressed to beat the xenons for the price, but thats just my opinion.

bballer123
07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
You would be hard pressed to beat the xenons for the price, but thats just my opinion.
Thats the impression that I am getting. Is uscaraudio.com reputable or a little shady? They have the xenons dirt cheap.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Ebay.

WTF they only have the 5.25's....

bballer123
07-19-2006, 06:18 PM
yeah thats what I just saw. doesnt make a whole lot of sense

Towncar
07-19-2006, 06:19 PM
If u decide to go with them, i suggest you deaden the crap out of your doors. Remember tuning can go on for months with a system. Atleast i did with mine.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:20 PM
another big gripe i have with the xenons is that the crossovers are all in one brick for both speakers, WTF are you supposed to do with that thing?

bballer123
07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
will 3db of sensitivity really make that much of a difference? I mean the MB rce216 are 90db and PG xenon are 87db. I just dont wanna be dissappointed with the volume level.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
will 3db of sensitivity really make that much of a difference? I mean the MB rce216 are 90db and PG xenon are 87db. I just dont wanna be dissappointed with the volume level.
No. Those PG's are LOUD

Towncar
07-19-2006, 06:25 PM

With a good amount of power, i wouldnt even look at the efficiency rating. Just dnt plan on running it with 50 watts and being happy.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Is this amp you have 4 channel or two?

bballer123
07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
50 watts with xenons will sound a whole lot better than my half blown components that I have right now, no? All I want is it to not sound bad. Ideally I would love to have it sound amazing, but priorities are a little different at the moment.
know of a good place to buy them? ebay doesnt have the 6.5 and uscaraudio is the cheapeast place i found.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
if you want the truth, your amp will probably be giving the speakers 15-25 RMS, they will run and probably sound OK, but dont prepare to be amazed.

A new amp should be your next priority

brandontw
07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
i gotta go to work, good night and good luck...

bballer123
07-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Is this amp you have 4 channel or two?
I just checked it and it just has 2 giant connectors comeing outta the side. So I have no idea whether its 2 or 4 channel. I have 2 rear fill speakers in the back if that matters at all.

Towncar
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I just checked it and it just has 2 giant connectors comeing outta the side. So I have no idea whether its 2 or 4 channel. I have 2 rear fill speakers in the back if that matters at all.

These are my thoughts. Save up untill your ready to replace everything. You can find a good 2-4 channel amp for a good price.

Proskier
07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
i also had the xenon 6.5s.....mine did the same thing as brandon's. one of my woofers just quit working out of the blue. although i had 170x2 powering them. they took it w/ ease and i think they could have easily taken more. if you dont have a decent external amp....more than 50 watts then i wouldnt buy them. im scrappin mine and buyin coaxials because i dont feel like mounting tweets.

superdooperman
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
couple things to watch out for.

Those stock "amps" that come with cars dont always run on the same impedance as aftermarket speakers. Make sure it can safely run your xeons before you buy em.

As for the sensitivity thing, there is no standard for that rating. You will see lots of **** products (low end sony comes to mind) that state they're speakers have a sens of 93db, yet sound not only like ***, but nowhere near the same loudness of a quality speaker with lower sens rating.

brandontw
07-20-2006, 06:27 AM
i also had the xenon 6.5s.....mine did the same thing as brandon's. one of my woofers just quit working out of the blue. although i had 170x2 powering them. they took it w/ ease and i think they could have easily taken more. if you dont have a decent external amp....more than 50 watts then i wouldnt buy them. im scrappin mine and buyin coaxials because i dont feel like mounting tweets.

YES!! finally someone else who doesnt think xenons are god!!

Anyway, Bballer, if you really want to try it, its not gonna hurt anything.

brandontw
07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
This is gonna sound akward after all the bashing i did on xenons, but i have a pair to sell if you want them. They are the 5.25 version, but come with the adapters you need to use them in a 6.5" application the sound difference between the two sizes really is negligible.

Dont worry, they are brand new, i tossed my blown ones long ago. i bought two pairs when i bought them becasue i had another project i was going to use them for..

Ill give em to you for 65 shipped, i bought them for 100+ shipping, im not sure what they are selling for now.

Might be good anyways, this way you can try them out and if you hate em, then youll only be down 65 bucks.

lemmee know.

Towncar
07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
edit

slc72005
07-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I am reading that pheonix gold x6.5 are amazing for the $$$. My concern is I am not sending loads of power to them. I will only be sending 20 maybe 25 watts to the tweet and maybe 40 or 50 watts to the components. Will that be pretty loud? I know loud is a relative and subjective term. (loud enough for me is like music at a club) I am not looking for it quite that loud, but I think you can understand what I want. Would it be smarter to get something with a little high sensitivity. xenons are like 88db. Should I get something more like 91 or 92db? My main goal is sql.

THanks

those xenons are a great little set of comps. you say x watts to the tweets and X watts to the woofer?

the crossovers arent biampable.

if you are talking about using them in an active set up 40 watts will be more then plenty for them

i have owned tons of PG gear. i run all PG gear and have knowledge of them back to when they only made accesories back in the late 80's.

mt current set up is this.

xenon 1200.1
xenon 1200.1
xenon 200.4
xenon 5.25 comp
xenon 5.25 comp
PG ti elite 6's
PG titdd 10
PG teq215x
PG tba1
PG basscube
PG interconnects and wires
2 mtx9500's soon to be swapped out for 2 kicker L7's

all this behind a custom built plexiglass set up that i did my self. i know PG gear pretty **** good

bballer123
07-20-2006, 04:25 PM
This is gonna sound akward after all the bashing i did on xenons, but i have a pair to sell if you want them. They are the 5.25 version, but come with the adapters you need to use them in a 6.5" application the sound difference between the two sizes really is negligible.

Dont worry, they are brand new, i tossed my blown ones long ago. i bought two pairs when i bought them becasue i had another project i was going to use them for..

Ill give em to you for 65 shipped, i bought them for 100+ shipping, im not sure what they are selling for now.

Might be good anyways, this way you can try them out and if you hate em, then youll only be down 65 bucks.

lemmee know.

Ummm don't sell them to anyone else yet. I might be interested in buying yours. Are they coaxials or seperate components?

bballer123
07-20-2006, 04:30 PM
couple things to watch out for.

Those stock "amps" that come with cars dont always run on the same impedance as aftermarket speakers. Make sure it can safely run your xeons before you buy em.

As for the sensitivity thing, there is no standard for that rating. You will see lots of **** products (low end sony comes to mind) that state they're speakers have a sens of 93db, yet sound not only like ***, but nowhere near the same loudness of a quality speaker with lower sens rating.
My tweets are 4 ohm, so would it be safe to assume the woofers are 4 ohm also?

brandontw
07-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Ummm don't sell them to anyone else yet. I might be interested in buying yours. Are they coaxials or seperate components?

wel they are just the xenon x5.0's... you can conver them to coaxial if you wish, or use them in a component install