PDA

View Full Version : Off/on axis

Trey803
07-19-2006, 05:57 AM
Ok so I got some question about my componenets. I was told what on and off axis was but already forgot. I know it has to do with either the tweeter being next to the woofer or it has to do with the tweeter directly facing you. Dont know which one it is but just wonderin which offers better sq? Are certain component sets designed specifically for being on axis or off axis? Are my Rainbow SLC 265 better on or of axis? Also I was told that when the tweeter is moved away from the woofer that the sq is not as good.

dkguitarist
07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
from my understanding you don't get off-axis response. it's measured by how the speaker's performance is being played off-axis. i think.

but even then, you may have to phase-shift 1 side of the components to get better imaging. but it's something you just have to mess with as it is very install/vehicle dependent.

what works in one vehicle may not work well in another car. no one can really tell you what to do. just kind of one of those things where you just gotta test it for yourself.

alphakenny1
07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
in general being on axis is much better because the frequency response is much more smoothe. but there are some good drivers out there with great off axis response. having a driver with great off axis response will give you options on where to place to drivers. if you the driver has bad off axis response then you are limited on placement of the drivers.

i would just play with certain locations before settling on a specific spot.

FoxPro5
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Car audio speakers are designed to compensate for the fact that it's not generally feasable for 95% of the end users to set them up as you are able to in other environments. Therefore it requires you to experiment quite a bit before you commit to a location. Duct tape and backstrap are your best friends.