PDA

View Full Version : pioneer home stereo system any good?

88irocZ
07-19-2006, 01:02 AM
well my iroc motor blew up so it will be down for awhile so i will not be using my audio equipment at all, and i found a guy with a home audio system that he wants to trade for my 2 10" kicker cvr's i just got these subs they are pretty much brand new and they were 130 a piece from crutchfield. i want to know if this system will be any good...? heres what he says about it.

"it has a 6 disc cd changer a dual tape deck a tuner and an amplifier the big speakers have 12's in them along with 3 mid and highs and then it has the 3 surround sound speakers"

link to pics...

http://www.maconracers.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=859

http://www.maconracers.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=863

lmk what you think asap i want to go pick em up tomaro.

joetama
07-19-2006, 01:50 AM
I would say not worth it, but others might disagee....

Prowler573
07-19-2006, 01:55 AM
That appears to be one of the first surround setups where the rear surround outputs from the receiver won't actually be separate discrete outputs but rather a matrixed output garnered from the front main channels' audio information.

How often do you use cassettes anymore? If you don't then the dual-well cassette deck is pretty worthless...

I think you could likely pick up something very comparable if not better in a pawn shop for the $260 you have invested in those CompVRs so I gotta agree with B&W on this one.

We'll call that one a pass, methinks...

90accordman
07-19-2006, 02:24 AM
i'd pass on it, unles you'll get better audio stuff later and you have nothign to listen to at home atm

brandontw
07-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Huge 70's-80's speakers FTL!!

thats like the kinda stuff your mom buys when she breaks up with your dad cause it was cheap and she did know any better. o would pass, go with somethijg a little more "new School"

Speakers aren't like wine, they dont get better with time.

JimJ
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Huge 70's-80's speakers FTL!!

Speakers aren't like wine, they dont get better with time.

Will...not...say...anything...

:)

turn it up
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
nah i would pass on it. You can probably get a surround sound stereo system that will out perform that and smaller in size.

joetama
07-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Hahaha, I think he is talking about the general case. But there is exceptions to every rule.... ;)

JimJ
07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Hahaha, I think he is talking about the general case. But there is exceptions to every rule.... ;)

I can think of about a dozen exceptions...or more ;)

88irocZ
07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
the thing is i have no kind of home stereo system thats worth a ****. i wont use the casset deck thing but if it will be worth the 130 dollars i have in my subs i might be interested. im not huge into audio stuff but i do want something that is going to sound decent and get pretty loud. it will be in a fairly small room though. im not really worried about the surround sound b/c i probably wouldnt use the surround sound much but it would be nice to have it just incase even if it isnt the best quality. im going to go over to the guys house this afternoon and hook it up to listen to it so i just might get it if it sounds alright. i mean i have no use for my subs at the moment and im selling my car when i get done putting the new motor in so i was going to save them for my new ride (67 rs camaro) but i think im going to go with some AA 8's or 10's

joetama
07-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Ok here is the price break down..

$15-20 for speakers (All Speakers)
$5 for tape deck
$5-10 for CD Changer
$10-15 for receiver
$15-20 for amp

So total value $50-$70...

You would be much better selling your sub for cash....

brandontw
07-19-2006, 03:53 PM

Fine, I bow to your greatness... :rolleyes:

brandontw
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
alright i should clarify... the kicker subs i bought were 130 a piece from crutchfield but i paid 130 shipped for both of them brand new of ebay. the thing is i have no kind of home stereo system thats worth a ****. i wont use the casset deck thing but if it will be worth the 130 dollars i have in my subs i might be interested. im not huge into audio stuff but i do want something that is going to sound decent and get pretty loud. it will be in a fairly small room though. im not really worried about the surround sound b/c i probably wouldnt use the surround sound much but it would be nice to have it just incase even if it isnt the best quality. im going to go over to the guys house this afternoon and hook it up to listen to it so i just might get it if it sounds alright. i mean i have no use for my subs at the moment and im selling my car when i get done putting the new motor in so i was going to save them for my new ride (67 rs camaro) but i think im going to go with some AA 8's or 10's

It sound like you are going to buy these no matter what we say if you ask me.

I think you would be better off starting from scratch and buying just what you need.

88irocZ
07-19-2006, 04:03 PM
It sound like you are going to buy these no matter what we say if you ask me.

I think you would be better off starting from scratch and buying just what you need.

i wasnt going to buy them no matter what you guys said i said i was going to go look at them. i asked about this stuff b/c you guys know this kind of stuff and i dont so i needed a professional opinion.

like i said i dont know much at all about home audio but i would like to have a fairly nice setup for under $200. so can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to find a good amp and tall speakers? i want it to get as loud as possible and sound decent doing it. like i said i dont want to have too much $ into this setup b/c im not at home alot and wont get a ton of use out of it but i do want a home stereo setup.

btw this guy is asking $250 for this pioneer system i am talking about... lol.

ramos
07-19-2006, 04:04 PM
I can think of about a dozen exceptions...or more ;)

I own a couple that come to mind. :)

Prowler573
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
"tall" does not necessarily equate to "quality" when it comes to speakers, friend.

Some of the best speakers I have ever personally owned (and sadly no longer have) were under 3' tall :fyi:

brandontw
07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
loud ya say?....tall ya say???

do you know how to build stuff?

line arrays.

88irocZ
07-19-2006, 04:17 PM
well yall dont have to flame me.... :rolleyes:

i said i didnt know anything about home audio. i thought the tall speakers were speakers that would get loud. i need suggestions on speakers and an amp. i want it to put out good bass and get loud. loud is the main thing i want. but i also want good bass and i dont want it to sound like *** when i crank it up. lmk some suggestions.

JimJ
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't think any flames were directed at you in this thread. The closest we've gotten to a flame is my reply to Brandon, but that's just because it was a dangerous assumption :)

I wouldn't recommend line arrays to someone on your budget, all those speakers add up. Especially ones that have enough throw to satisfy your need for strong midbass/upper subbass.

If you can build things, take a look at PartsExpress' projects page, I'm sure they have something that will fit your musical tastes.

C.Jackson
07-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I have a Sony MHC-GX450, I'm listening to right now BTW, and it's plenty loud and it sounds great. No tall speakers though, if thats what you want. These can be had for under $200 and should be easy to find one. Heres some more information on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LCZZQ/103-0941183-7489408?v=glance&n=172282

It has a 8" subwoofer in a ported enclosure which recieves 150W and the left & right speakers recieve 125W per channel. It may sound like it's weak but it's not. You can find these in alot of stores so you may be able to mess around with one in Wal-mart or an equivilent store to see if you like it.

Prowler573
07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a Sony MHC-GX450, I'm listening to right now BTW, and it's plenty loud and it sounds great. No tall speakers though, if thats what you want. These can be had for under $200 and should be easy to find one. Heres some more information on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LCZZQ/103-0941183-7489408?v=glance&n=172282

I think the OP is looking for a bit more volume than that bookshelf system is capable of just at a guess...

brandontw
07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't think any flames were directed at you in this thread. The closest we've gotten to a flame is my reply to Brandon, but that's just because it was a dangerous assumption :)

I wouldn't recommend line arrays to someone on your budget, all those speakers add up. Especially ones that have enough throw to satisfy your need for strong midbass/upper subbass.

If you can build things, take a look at PartsExpress' projects page, I'm sure they have something that will fit your musical tastes.
I would agree with you this time, he just said loud and tall while i was sitting in front of my line arrays, so i couldent help but mention it.

They were quite labor intensive, and expensive though, not for the casual listener perhaps??

Im really not sure what to suggest that gets really loud with strong bass for under 200$ PA speakers come to mind....

turn it up
07-19-2006, 04:45 PM
I think the OP is looking for a bit more volume than that bookshelf system is capable of just at a guess...

actually those bookshelf gets pretty loud. I have the Sony MHC-GX9000 myself and I use it to watch movies. Probably not true surround sound but it saves space and usefull just to bump some music. I'm not sure if the OP just want a stereo or watching movies in surround sound. But a bookshelf system compliment quite nicely than those big setup just for music.

brandontw
07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
i would agree, my freind has one of those philips bookshelve sytsem with the "WOOX" bass thingy, and i was actually sort of impressed with it...

JimJ
07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
The original auction link I had was to a pair that was non-working, but a pair of Klipsch Heresy's will scream...and have a decent amount of bass down to 50Hz or so. Used, they can be found in the $200 range.

Oh wait, they're built before 1990 :crazy:

Prowler573
07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I've been to their facility in Hope, AR, Jim.
That place is run like a well-oiled machine and everything was clean.
The speakers I was talking about earlier when I mentioned short speakers were a set of KG4 shorties I had once upon a time ;)

Edit: Like these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Kg4-Speakers-Pair_W0QQitemZ300007268645QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14993 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)! They made me a true believer in the potential of a passive radiator :fyi:

ballstothewall
07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
The original auction link I had was to a pair that was non-working, but a pair of Klipsch Heresy's will scream...and have a decent amount of bass down to 50Hz or so. Used, they can be found in the $200 range.

Oh wait, they're built before 1990 :crazy:

Now your making me want to go out and buy some... You dirty tube junkie you. :)

Prowler573
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Now your making me want to go out and buy some... You dirty tube junkie you. :)
Klipsch speakers have nothing to do with a love for older tube-driven gear.
It is much more a case of Klipsch just building top-notch gear. /story.
I've owned a set of KG4s like I linked to above and also a set of Tangent T40 towers. (exact same drivers as the KG4 but in taller cabinets) and they were flatly outstanding for their pricepoint.

ballstothewall
07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Klipsch speakers have nothing to do with a love for older tube-driven gear.
It is much more a case of Klipsch just building top-notch gear. /story.
I've owned a set of KG4s like I linked to above and also a set of Tangent T40 towers. (exact same drivers as the KG4 but in taller cabinets) and they were flatly outstanding for their pricepoint.

I realize that, and I want some Klipsch because of the quality of them.

That last sentence didn't help out my pocket book any either.

JimJ
07-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I've been to their facility in Hope, AR, Jim.
That place is run like a well-oiled machine and everything was clean.
The speakers I was talking about earlier when I mentioned short speakers were a set of KG4 shorties I had once upon a time ;)

Edit: Like these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Kg4-Speakers-Pair_W0QQitemZ300007268645QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14993 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)! They made me a true believer in the potential of a passive radiator :fyi:

The main differences between the Heresy's and the Forte's are that the latter are taller, heavier, and have bass response down to the 30's...and about three times as much on the used market. I've run sine sweeps on them...and it's scary what that 12" forward driver and 15" PR can do :up2somet:

KG4's are nice :) I didn't go with them because IIRC, they're a little less efficient than the other ones...

88irocZ
07-20-2006, 12:16 AM
i have been looking around a little bit and i found a home theatre speaker system on parts express for like 60 bucks. it comes with a powered sub too. heres the link.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=309-155&ctab=1#Tabs

would these be any good?

i also found these bookshelf speakers that someone reccommended someone else on this board. heres the link.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=319-040

what do you guys think of either of these... or maybe both of them?

also what kind of an amplifier could i look into for less than 75 bucks that will sound good and put out good power.

i also have an infinity kappa perfect 10.1d laying around i could make an enclosure for but how would i power it?

ballstothewall
07-20-2006, 12:21 AM
also what kind of an amplifier could i look into for less than 75 bucks that will sound good and put out good power.

i also have an infinity kappa perfect 10.1d laying around i could make an enclosure for but how would i power it?

I have an older Yamaha RX-V series receiver that I picked up for like 50 bucks off of ebay, and I really like the sound it puts out.

For powering a sub, you would need a plate amp. Search partsexpress.com, they have about a dozen of them.

90accordman
07-20-2006, 12:32 AM
i have been looking around a little bit and i found a home theatre speaker system on parts express for like 60 bucks. it comes with a powered sub too. heres the link.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=309-155&ctab=1#Tabs

would these be any good?

i also found these bookshelf speakers that someone reccommended someone else on this board. heres the link.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=319-040

what do you guys think of either of these... or maybe both of them?

get lucky, i found a high end Klipsh 500w powered downfireing sub on ebay that was blown, replaced the woofer with an IDmax V3 and it sounds very nice for a replacement, i got lucky and got the IDmax form another forum for i think somethign like 125 from someone who was leaving car audio. All together the subwoofer setup was like 160, and people still love it.

JimJ
07-20-2006, 12:51 AM

I think you can nix the idea of "good" power for that price range...PE does sell a small T-amp that you could use, go more efficient on the speakers and you'll make up for the loss in overall output power.

Having lots of amplifier power and wasting it in lousy speakers doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense, but it seems to be the way a lot of people go...