PDA

View Full Version : Want an awesome box plan for 3 12's in a ex-cab silverado

Badfastbusa
07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Just want a little more... Dang this is addicting!

Ill try to keep it somewhat short and sweet, this is what i want:
I have 2 12" 4ohm Alpine Type-R's right now and am going to be getting 2 more of them and want to build a box for them with 1 long port over the top of the subs accross the whole box pointing forward (towards the front seats) along with the subs.

Specs
I want the same 32hz tune like i have now because i love the low bass that i am getting now, it could be tuned a little bit higher (not much though) if it makes the box build a little easier, but i don't want to go over 40hz unless you guys would think it would hit harder, i want it to make my eyes blurry as possible, take my breath, and put out some decent #'s on the mic, that isn't to much to ask is it? LOL

Area that i have to work with:
60" wide
i want it to be exactly this wide on the outside diameter of the box

22" tall
i want it to be exactly this tall on the outside diameter of the box

20inches deep
i don't really care how much of this is used up, i could actually go a little more if need be

I want this box planed around the specs and displacement of these subs if that is cool, i will see if i can find the specs for these subs.

bri487
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
dont forget about the hump in the floor.

Badfastbusa
07-18-2006, 11:20 PM
those specs are along the back wall which is shorter than the hump in the middle... i am just going to make skirts or something to cover the open areas on the bottom on the sides of the hump in the middle... i didn't want to get to complicated with the box and try to use that air space because i will probably have a hard enough time just trying to get someone to plan out a ****** box for me.

Badfastbusa
07-19-2006, 10:20 AM
ttt, nobody up to the task? or is this really asking a little much?

lilmaniac2
07-19-2006, 10:26 AM
i could do it when i get home today if it rains again

Badfastbusa
07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
i really appreciate it man... i want this thing to distroy my buddies 2 l7's

Badfastbusa
07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
TTT, hook a fellow bass addict up!

amartin_72
07-20-2006, 12:58 AM
I will do it for cheap. I have nothing to do tomorrow I would love to do this.

Here are some pics of my work. Its my box for 3 Type r's before i bought my truck.

2.6ft each at 37 hz

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/amartin_72/box8.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/amartin_72/box5.jpg

And i can do much better i did this in a hurry. I have owned my R's (sold one) for two years and built at LEAST 15-20 boxes for them between mine now and the one ive sold to a friend. I know quite a bit about them.

Can you go any bigger on dimensions-the bigger the better. But make sure to leave room for your amps.

amartin_72
07-20-2006, 01:00 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/amartin_72/BOx1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/amartin_72/pic5.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/amartin_72/pic2.jpg <box has had 10 diffrent subs in it(orignally for a 10 COMP, home audio 10's, 6.5 mid, 12" home theatre, type R , mtx 7500) and is very beaten up, and has a port extension= just playing around with new subs and different tuning. :)

amartin_72
07-20-2006, 01:05 AM
and the frist box i ever built......

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/amartin_72/dual10box.jpg

amartin_72
07-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh looks like you went to bed. Ill check this in the morning...

Badfastbusa
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
sorry i wasn't in bed yet, my internet messed up on me last night and it wouldn't let me back on. i have been doing a little research on the orion 2500d amp i just bought... i don't know what hz would be best for my truck/subs, that is one thing that has got me stumped... and i am also debating on going with 4 of them instead of just 3... with the deminsions i have that should give me a ton of cuft to work with (around 15cuft)

i can go crazy with the amp rack after i finish the box, i might do something like what you have done with the amp/wiring inside the box and hidden, but i am not sure just yet. like i said, i have a ton of room.

mobeious
07-20-2006, 05:32 PM
check ur pm

Badfastbusa
07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
back at ya!

mobeious
07-20-2006, 09:13 PM
back at ya!
PM

IonSQL
07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
I would be willing to make it for you... but shipping on a box that big will be a *****, even from only st louis to OK.... how far from st louis are you?

Badfastbusa
07-20-2006, 10:52 PM
This is somewhat of an idea of what i am wanting to build, i am going to be building it myself. hopefully somehow i can get it done without having to have the middle peice in the port, but if i have to have it oh well, whats a little more work LOL

BTW, sorry about the crappy shot at this done in MS paint LMAO, here ya go:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/96mustang_james/Box.jpg

Badfastbusa
07-20-2006, 10:54 PM
this took me for ever LOL

this isn't exactly how the board overlapping has to be, it is just a rough copy of what i am wanting to build it around.

amartin_72
07-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Looks good But use 2 or 4 seperate chambers
much safer. Unless you really brace that up and the port up your much better off jst making it chambered. Make sure the port is very smooth and flows well and has NO TURBULence. Could you possibly try some 8" aero ports Ill make them for cheap nice ones. They do flow better than a slot port with an angle at the end of them No matter what people say.

amartin_72
07-21-2006, 12:25 AM
That puts the 2500D at .5 ohm which will slaughter your electical. Ill buy your dual 4 and you can get 4 dual twos new!. Which will be at 1 ohm. Unless you want to beef the electrical and try to mod it to .5 ohm.!!!

Badfastbusa
07-21-2006, 12:31 AM
i am going to be beefing up my electrical to run it at .5 and get some good power out of it... should be 625w/rms on each sub... should be plenty loud... and i was going to use all thread to support the box.

i don't like the idea of using aero ports because i am going to have my amp rack on top of the box.

amartin_72
07-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Ok Man but having a bend in the port is not helping you get loud! Make sure its braced with at least 1" all thread if your making it a single chamber. How many cubic feet will that be Net? How much port area per sub?

amartin_72
07-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Perhaps double panels would help with the flexing?

Badfastbusa
07-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Ok Man but having a bend in the port is not helping you get loud! Make sure its braced with at least 1" all thread if your making it a single chamber. How many cubic feet will that be Net? How much port area per sub?
what do you mean having a bend in the port? i thought this was pretty much how all of the slot vented ports were, if you know how to get around it or make it better i am all ears. this is pretty much how the box i have now is, and i don't have any bracing at all and have no problems.

i would like to give each sub 2.2cuft for a total of 8.8cuft for all of them, i have no idea what i am doing when it comes to tuning ports ect though.

right now i have Moe Lester's 4.4 32hz box plan on 2 type-R 12's with just 425wrms on each sub and it freakin hammers! if you would like to see which box i am talking about look in the stickied thread at the top of this forum. you will see the thread named "box plans", scroll down to the 4.4cuft 32hz enclosure and that is the one i have now and it makes some serious noise... i just want it a little louder...

i am just wanting a box that is more custom taylored to this truck... 60in across will streach from rear door to rear door with about 1in on each side left... 22in tall will make it come right up to the bottom of the trim under my window... and the depth of the box is where i have to work on my leigh way.

arsonbob
07-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Personally I would do side firing aeroports and then you would still be able to map a nice amp rack on top of the box. If you get what i'm saying... I just mean use aeroports and have then coming out either side of the box. I think the long unbraced slot port you have in mind is going to be very flimsy and weak even if you were to use 1" mdf.

Badfastbusa
07-21-2006, 01:49 AM
i will only have 1in on each side of the box for the ports to vent the air if i do it that way... i wish someone would just come up with a box that would fit my needs... i just think it would look pretty cool, be easyier to build, and make it easier to use the space i have to have a box like the one i have posted pics of... i don't have enough room to put the ports on the face of it either (beside the subs)... the subs are roughly 13in each on the face of them which comes out to 52inches... the box will only be able to be 60inches in total so with materials being accounted for that would only leave me around 5-6 inches for port area in total.

Badfastbusa
07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
ttt, anyone up to the task of doing something other than just the the run of the mill box plans?

amartin_72
07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
ill give tou some tips toorrow night or soemthin

Badfastbusa
07-22-2006, 12:26 AM
which one of these configurations do you think would be the loudest? like i said, it will be in the back of an extended cab truck with the seat taken out and it will be right up against the back wall faced forward toward the front seats.

this is what i am wanting, any one of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/96mustang_james/box2.jpg

This is what mobeious has come up for me so far. BTW, thanks for your hard work... were almost there.
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/1/4/2/9/8/box_961428.JPG

Badfastbusa
07-22-2006, 12:56 PM
ttt

amartin_72
07-23-2006, 11:27 PM
I would make it as large as possible, flare the ports, rounded edges, and get at least ....120 inches of port area total. Try not to have a bend in the port at all they do create turbulence. the unless your running over 1000RMS per sub. Box A or C looks like you can get some straight slot ports with no Elbows, and flare them. Make sure the box is as BIG as you can possibly make it. Trust me.

Badfastbusa
07-24-2006, 12:00 AM
anyone care to do a layout for me like box A with no elbows??

JakeM
07-24-2006, 01:11 AM
i just did a box for my truck about a week ago(89 sierra) Its the same as yours, i dont know if you cut out the back seat brackets that poke out, i didnt and I made my box 58" and it fit perfectly. I dont know if you have a 99-present truck and i dont know the dimensions for those but it has to be about the same. Anyway I made about a 8.5 cuft box tuned to 36hz for my two 06L7 Kickers and it ****ing pounds. I can give you dimensions and pics if your interested.

Badfastbusa
07-24-2006, 03:55 AM
hell yeah, pm me some specs and pics! BTW, my truck is a 2000 model... it is 63inches from rear door to rear door, and 60 wide and 22inches tall would be perfect...that would make it cover the bare rear panel from door to door and from the floor to the bottom of the trim right under the window.

JakeM
07-24-2006, 06:47 AM
haha you have the exact same idea i had for mine. Ill post up pics and dimensions after work today. I love my box a lot, even though its my first ported box. I researched it a lot and asked a bunch of questions. Im going to apologize in advace, it doesnt look the best I could make it look right now but thats only b/c I was in the middle of putting an escalade front end and doing this box in about a week(I had to get it ready for the Texas Heatwave) and I had to go to work everyday so I could only work on it about 5 hours a day max. Anyway, when I get home ill take some pics and post it up

Badfastbusa
07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
sweet!