PDA

View Full Version : i need a complete dorm setup and i'm clueless

maldecido33
07-16-2006, 01:22 PM
well, i'm about to move into my dorm room and i wanted to have some sort of home audio system there. I've been in car audio forever, but I have never even gotten my feet wet in regards to home audio. So, CA forums, I turn to you for some help.

I would like to just be able to run all of this off my laptop, which I know is compatible for a 2.1 system. If that is really not an option, I'll do some sort of CHEAP, small reciever.

What I really want, even though it wouldn't be compatible running off of the laptop, is 4 speakers, one SMALL sub; keep in mind this is a small dorm room and I can have nothing extravagant.

So, recommend me a SUPER-BUDGET, diy project. The works; highs, mids, lows, reciever, cables, etc, etc.

Thanks alot

JimJ
07-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I would avoid "computer" speakers at all costs.

What's your budget for this sort of thing?

djman37
07-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I would avoid "computer" speakers at all costs.

What's your budget for this sort of thing?

i do like the klipsch 2.1's though.

j3bus2k3
07-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Mine consisted of a $60 receiver off ebay, $50 sony bookshelf's from Best Buy and a DIY sub (TangBand 8 and 100W amp) for about $120 and it definitly rocks. I'm replacing the Sonys with a proper set of bookshelf's later.

You could get the 30W Class T from PE (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952&CFID=33927&CFTOKEN=13703536) and power some small surrounds with it.

JimJ
07-16-2006, 01:37 PM
i do like the klipsch 2.1's though.

The Klipsch's are at least listenable...but they're nothing to write home about under 100Hz :)

ballstothewall
07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Quad Dayton reference towers 3 cubes to 40hz, Morel MDT29 tweets, full rack gear setup to run active. No need for a sub to start out with.

JimJ
07-16-2006, 01:57 PM
:hilariou:

I think you, EhRon, and myself should stay out of this discussion...we'll pollute the poor guy's mind and corrupt his wallet :D

ballstothewall
07-16-2006, 02:01 PM

I think you, EhRon, and myself should stay out of this discussion...we'll pollute the poor guy's mind and corrupt his wallet :D

Whaaa, us do something like that??

Ya'll poluted my mind/wallet, I can only help another poor soul down the path to the dark side. :cool:

joetama
07-17-2006, 02:32 PM

LOL, that's pretty funny.... B&W & Rotel or Tubes LOL....

No but seriously, the 4 big factors are: 1 what music do you listen to, 2 how much is your budget, 3 what are your wood working skills, and 4 how long do you plan on keeping this system (just for college or longer)?

With a small budget (depending on how small) DIY is usually the way to go. Dayton makes some nice stuff, I just got a pair of the RS 7" mids for my car and I will do a write up on them once I get them installed but they look like some pretty kick *** speakers. Also, do you know anything about cross-overs and hi box tuning???

Waiting on you to do my full advice.....

Scoobydoo
07-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a small system that might work, we could have worked out a trade for the pc if I knew sooner

Toshiba SD-6109 DVD/Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000J3OK/102-8914629-5881727?v=glance&n=172282

It is based on Onkyo internals and amps so the 50 watts per channel is not exaggerated. It also has DD and DTS. It works perfect and plays all DVD's, but it isn't to great with scratches on discs

Two pairs KLH 970A speakers
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/klh/PRD_124368_1594crx.aspx

I think I bought these for $30 pair years ago to use in the office, for the price they sound excellent, but you will need a sub if you want bass

maldecido33
07-17-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd say my budget is no more than $200, but i'd like to say closer to $100 or so.

I've looked at the tang band stuff, and dayton, but I'm unsure as to where to start, how to tune a box for home audio compared to car audio (which I know how to do/have a fairly good understanding of)

I listen to most types of music: rock, alternative, country, classic rock, some rap here and there.

I have decent enough wood working skills, or access to the tools/people that do if it's extremely advanced (I've built some crazy enclosures before though; I'd be willing to bet I could handle most anything).

I'll probably keep the setup all through college (all 6 years of it; masters FTW), and several years after that until I can afford a larger/nicer one.

I'm majoring in EENG, so I have an understanding of crossovers.

I didn't mean computer speakers; rather speakers to be run off of my computers sound card.

Any questions; just shoot.

djman37
07-17-2006, 11:54 PM
PE has some kits or AA arbiter HT stuff. I just picked up their TM sets. You can build your own crossovers from the plans, and get/buy an enlosure from PE.

ballstothewall
07-18-2006, 12:26 AM
If your going to be keeping these for college, I'd try to get some more money to up your budget a little. Does that 200 just cover the speakers, or all the electronics as well?

bimma85
07-18-2006, 12:27 AM
More $$$$ much more $$$ :greedy: :D

or you can hit up some estate/garage sales

NJack2AF
07-18-2006, 01:27 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=319-040

Get 1 of those sets and a sub... I'm about to...

brandontw
07-18-2006, 06:26 AM
i say you just find a cheap reciever, a couple of speaks and then worry about a sub later, especially considering basically any sub is over your preffered budget. and any decent sub is over your max budget.

I also vote that you just go for 2 speakers for now, then if you decide to go surround sound later you can get your rear speakers and center. I find that surround sound isnt much good for music anyhow, and scince you laptop isnt surround sound anyway, i say stereo for now.

That receiver that scooby is offering up might work ok, but it looks like it might be a little low on power... mabye find an older one on ebay or something.

As far as the speakers.... i would go with something that would give you decent bass response to hold you over untill you can afford a sub, but considering a reciever will prolly be 40-50$ that only leaves like 50-100 left for 2 speaks...

i know people love to bash on sony, but i have had lots of their gear, and no problems. These are supposed to be some of the best speakers around for under 100$ they would be great first speakers for you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-SS-MB350H-BOOKSHELF-120w-HOME-AUDIO-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ170008561590QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9 4908QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there are also offerings from JBL,polk,yamaha, and infinity that may fit the bill, but that sony set has lots for not alot of money: three way design, 8" bass driver!!

I think i may pick some up too...

brandontw
07-18-2006, 06:30 AM
in all my talking i forgot to spam this with my own sale of a reciever,,, its an o sony model,STR-D715, dolby surround sound/ or 2 channel stereo 100 watts per channel, ins, outs all the usuals its a good reciever.

45 Bucks

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4610/7151mm9.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4280/7152ne1.jpg

JimJ
07-18-2006, 06:33 AM
I'd rather run CSS FR125's in a bass reflex cabinet, or AA Poly's with Dayton tweets, before I'd buy Sony bookshelves.

Just IMHO.

brandontw
07-18-2006, 06:55 AM
i know there is other more elaboret options that i would be more inclined to pursue as well, after all your talking to a guy that was shopping for bookshelve speaks, and instead ended up building 7 foot tall line array speakers... but for a beginner, it makes it easy to be able to go down to best buy, drop 90$ and walk out with some acceptable speakers.

I consider myself at least an amature audiophile, and these speakers sounded decent to me., like i said, better than others in its pricepoint for sure, the infinity primus's sound ok, but they are 50 dollars more, and i think these still have strengths over them, polk is crap, and jbl dont match these for the money, and you may be able to do something DIY, but sometimes its nice just to go buy something instead of build it from scratch

brandontw
07-18-2006, 06:56 AM
P.S. look around at reviews on these speaks....:cool:

maldecido33
07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into them. However, I am a DIY'er; I have never purchased a prefab box, or enclosure designs, etc. I've always done all my own stuff, and I like it that way. I wanted this to be my custom enclosure (although it may not be my design), my own crossover (I do know how), etc.

I'm not a newbie, persay, just unsure as to the different fundamental sof home audio in regards to car audio. I don't really want to just go to BB, CC, etc. and buy an in-the-box already assembled system.

edit: let's up the budget to, say, $300?

maldecido33
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
What about a Dayton RS180S-8 7" Reference Series Shielded Woofer, Dayton DC50F-8 2" Dome Midrange, and a Dayton DC28FS-8 1-1/8" Shielded Silk Dome Tweeter? Two of each set with a cabinet for each 3-way setup. I figure that is a fairly good 3-way system, or is it not?

What to power these? I'd like to use my laptop as the reciever, but run the two 3-way setups off of a nice plate amp, or something like that. Am I going in the right direction? Any recommendations on what to power these with?

joetama
07-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I think that setup wouldn't be too bad. I personally would go with a two-way set up and forget that mid-range or a two-way setup with two of the 4 ohm RS-180's in series. Even better would be to do a 5" and a 10" of that RS series in a 3-Way setup...

What that “mid-range” is used for is if you were to go with a Tweeter and a 15” and needed to fill in the mids. But the low frequency unit you have picked will go high enough to mate with your tweeter. So, unless you want a real middy (muddy) sound I would go with a two way or a three way to supplement the low end.

Scoobydoo
07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
guessing that you are going to use the headphone out on your laptop? only issue is getting surround sound, i would suggest buying a usb sound card from newegg.com

maldecido33
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM
i don;t really need/want surround sound; all i'm gonna use this setup for is music, with MAYBE a movie here and there, but music 90% of the time. my laptop's sound card is capable of 2.1, so i'd like to build off of that.

I think i've decided upon the dayton 7" reference woofer, and the 1 1/8" silk dome tweeter from dayton. what else do i need to complete the 2.1 setup as well as powering it, and making it compatible to my laptop, or TV in the event i decide upon that

maldecido33
07-18-2006, 03:40 PM
sorry, i'm just completely new to home audio and just need guidance and the basic concepts; i can take it from there (hopefully)

Scoobydoo
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
That receiver that scooby is offering up might work ok, but it looks like it might be a little low on power... mabye find an older one on ebay or something.

i am willing to bet the onkyo amps in my toshiba at 50 watts are just as powerful or more powerful than your sony amps at 100 watts

onkyo amps have higher current and are usually underrated, sony is always overrated and the amp current is non existant

also he needs it for a dorm room, not a banquet hall ;)

Scoobydoo
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
only thing you need for the laptop for stereo sound is a mini plug to rca adapter like this

http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/6651.jpg

does your laptop have an svideo out? tv have an svideo in?

brandontw
07-18-2006, 05:08 PM
i am willing to bet the onkyo amps in my toshiba at 50 watts are just as powerful or more powerful than your sony amps at 100 watts

onkyo amps have higher current and are usually underrated, sony is always overrated and the amp current is non existant

also he needs it for a dorm room, not a banquet hall ;)

pshh--- i think you giving onkyo and toshiba too much credit, and not enough to sony but whatever...

brandontw
07-18-2006, 05:14 PM
i don;t really need/want surround sound; all i'm gonna use this setup for is music, with MAYBE a movie here and there, but music 90% of the time. my laptop's sound card is capable of 2.1, so i'd like to build off of that.

I think i've decided upon the dayton 7" reference woofer, and the 1 1/8" silk dome tweeter from dayton. what else do i need to complete the 2.1 setup as well as powering it, and making it compatible to my laptop, or TV in the event i decide upon that
sorry i treated you like a newb, there just isnt alot of people that are willing to put forth the efort to biuld their own stuff. i think that woofer and tweeter combination will be great. Im no expert on enclosure design, so you may be more knowledgable on that than i am, but i would design something ported for those to get the maximum bass performance out of them, then power them with something decent, i still think a reciever would be the easiest route, that way you could also plug in your TV, listen to the radio, Ect., instead of being limited to what your lappy can do. You coul duse a plate-type amp, but where would you put it?

ballstothewall
07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Also might look into the Morel MDT29 tweet, I just got some to go with my 7" dayton reference towers, and I love them.

maldecido33
07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
recommend me a good, inexpensive, reciever. could I use, say, one of the 7" Dayton Reference woofers on one "channel", and 2 of the dayton 1 1/8" tweeters, each on a seperate "channel" (if thats what their even called in ht), to complete a 2.1 setup?

what do i tune the enclosure for that 7" sub to? what about airspace? I was thinking around .66 cubes at 46Hz; is that alright for HT (tuning is supposed to be much higher, i believe).

Do the tweets need to be sealed off in any manner in any sort of enclosure? or rather, they don't need a small amount of sealed airspace, correct?

bimma85
07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
recommend me a good, inexpensive, reciever. could I use, say, one of the 7" Dayton Reference woofers on one "channel", and 2 of the dayton 1 1/8" tweeters, each on a seperate "channel" (if thats what their even called in ht), to complete a 2.1 setup?

what do i tune the enclosure for that 7" sub to? what about airspace? I was thinking around .66 cubes at 46Hz; is that alright for HT (tuning is supposed to be much higher, i believe).

Do the tweets need to be sealed off in any manner in any sort of enclosure? or rather, they don't need a small amount of sealed airspace, correct?
You're gonna use a 7" sub? "daz poosee yo" ;) :D If its substage, why tune to 46? Why not around 30, or lower if you do decide you're gonna use it for more than just music.

JimJ
07-19-2006, 08:55 PM
I believe he means one of the Dayton 7" midwoofers...not a true subwoofer.

Dayton doesn't make a 7" subwoofer.

ballstothewall
07-19-2006, 10:37 PM

You have to have a crossover, either passive or active.

88irocZ
07-19-2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=319-040

Get 1 of those sets and a sub... I'm about to...

how are those speakers? they look like a pretty good deal.

brandontw
07-20-2006, 06:00 AM

The reciever will power the 2 speakers, and if you want a sub, youll have to get a little plate amp or something to go with it...