PDA

View Full Version : cold air kit

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 03:03 AM
idk if anyone else on these boards has the same vehicle as me, er same engine setup i should say, i've been lookin for a while, and i'm starting to wonder if the new 4.6L has the same air intake setup...couplings and placement wise, as the 4.2L v6 engine.....anyone know? i'd really like to get some extra hp out of my truck, but i don't wanna upgrade the exhaust till i can upgrade the intake.

Airman21
07-16-2006, 05:44 AM
cold air kit wont add much of anything a bigger throttle body would be better and still cheap... but to answer your question i am not sure.. i have a 4.6 but its in my mustang

Silver
07-16-2006, 10:49 AM
its pointless to add a cai to a stock engine.

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 11:04 AM
stock for now, i just want to find the kit so when i do start doing things to the engine, it can be added into the mix, i plan on putting a throttle body spacer in there for extra tq, and removing the manual fan replacing it with twin electric fans, along with installing a high flow cat/borla mufflers, eventually when i have enough money, i wanna put a twin turbo on this engine.....but thats many upgrades away.

Silver
07-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Just swap a 5.4L 3v.

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Just swap a 5.4L 3v.
eh, no, i wanna win a race with a v6, not give up and go the easy route.

Decipha
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
a cold air intake will same you some pennies at the pump

IrTehL33T@DBeez
07-16-2006, 12:28 PM

nuh uh, it very well might be shiny, in which case teh awesome.... duh.

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 02:10 PM
as said before, very few things will be stock with the engine, just about the only stock thing about it will be the block itself....thats how much i plan i doing to it, just to whip a viper in a race with a stock looking f150...cept for the slicks...lol

Beat_Dominator
07-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't believe the 4.6 has the same height as the 4.2L so I'd say no the CAI's won't match up.

As for those saying it's pointless on a stock engine, that's just not true, it depends entirely on how restrictive the stock one is, and some companies put intakes in that are quite restrictive.

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 03:04 PM
either that, or i'll see what i can find when i'm hittin up the junk yards lookin for interior body parts for my truck, see if any of em have the v6 in them and i'll make my own ram air induction system, go buy a custom tailored hood with dual scoops cobra style, and go from there, because it has a rather large intake pipe going up to the motor, just a really small opening going into the fender well for it to pull cool air from.

Silver
07-16-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't believe the 4.6 has the same height as the 4.2L so I'd say no the CAI's won't match up.

As for those saying it's pointless on a stock engine, that's just not true, it depends entirely on how restrictive the stock one is, and some companies put intakes in that are quite restrictive.

your looking at it the wrong way.

say a engine only needs 300cfm of air to properly run stock. a cai from k&n flows 1000cfm into an engine.

where does the other 700cmf go? well into the intake, ect of course. but why have a stock engine that only needs 300cfm to have 1000cfm.

now if you have mods that require more flow to the engine, well common sense you'll need the extra 700cfm to have a modified engine run properly.

see what i mean, it pointless stock. when i put in my panel filter (k&n) i saw no improvement in gas milage, no "power" ect. I just baught it because I'll never have to buy another filter again. it save me in the long run.:D

azbass
07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
a cold air intake will same you some pennies at the pump

not really. the noise it makes is going to make him want to floor it more often... :p:

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 10:50 PM
not really. the noise it makes is going to make him want to floor it more often... :p:
heh, no, but i am noticing better gas mileage with just a k&n air filter replacement ;)

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 11:29 PM
your looking at it the wrong way.

say a engine only needs 300cfm of air to properly run stock. a cai from k&n flows 1000cfm into an engine.

where does the other 700cmf go? well into the intake, ect of course. but why have a stock engine that only needs 300cfm to have 1000cfm.

now if you have mods that require more flow to the engine, well common sense you'll need the extra 700cfm to have a modified engine run properly.

see what i mean, it pointless stock. when i put in my panel filter (k&n) i saw no improvement in gas milage, no "power" ect. I just baught it because I'll never have to buy another filter again. it save me in the long run.:D
and to answer your question on where the extra 700 cfm is used, it reduces friction, less resistance in the system=more power, course that depends on the motor, but its noticeable nonetheless even to a stock motor, but as stated earlier, i won't do the cold air till i'm ready to do a muffler system, i just wanna make sure i can find the correct cold air kit...

bumpin_blazer
07-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok 2 things about all i've read.

1) TB spacers do ****.
2) you sound like you have a semi-plan but you do know that no matter what you do, that v6 truck will always be slow right?

tb spacer's have been proven to do nothing more than waste your $ and if you're thinking you can put a tb spacer to get power and you'll beat a viper, wake up.

With that said if you must do upgrade's, no the CAI for the 4.6L won't fit it isn't the same fitment size. As far as upgrading your TB, junkyard shop for any 5.4L's TB as it should line up if I remember correctly. Lastly, your engine is too small to push enough compression to get but maybe 3-15 max hp at the wheels with CAI, TB off a v8, and a full REAL dual exhaust.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-17-2006, 01:19 PM
stock for now, i just want to find the kit so when i do start doing things to the engine, it can be added into the mix, i plan on putting a throttle body spacer in there for extra tq, and removing the manual fan replacing it with twin electric fans, along with installing a high flow cat/borla mufflers, eventually when i have enough money, i wanna put a twin turbo on this engine.....but thats many upgrades away.
Save the money that you will spend on a CAI and save it for the other stuff you listed. To be honest you will see no gain from a CAI on a stock motor. Now say you have a vehicle with a cam and exhaust that needs to breath, then yes you will see a nice gain from a CAI.

Also a TB spacer will do nothing, scratch that off the list completely.

Your best bet now is to save up and do the high flow cats and cat back system. Then do the electric fans. Then worry about the CAI. Of course this is my opinion and what would I know :naughty:

draarong2004
07-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok 2 things about all i've read.

1) TB spacers do ****.
2) you sound like you have a semi-plan but you do know that no matter what you do, that v6 truck will always be slow right?

tb spacer's have been proven to do nothing more than waste your $ and if you're thinking you can put a tb spacer to get power and you'll beat a viper, wake up.

With that said if you must do upgrade's, no the CAI for the 4.6L won't fit it isn't the same fitment size. As far as upgrading your TB, junkyard shop for any 5.4L's TB as it should line up if I remember correctly. Lastly, your engine is too small to push enough compression to get but maybe 3-15 max hp at the wheels with CAI, TB off a v8, and a full REAL dual exhaust.
oh really, explain that one smarty, horsepower is horsepower, doesn't matter how many cylinders are making it, with upgraded cam, twinturbo, exhaust, chip, and a few other thinkings, withouta doubt it'll be over 400 horsepower...well into the 500's

Alpine CDA-9815
07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
oh really, explain that one smarty, horsepower is horsepower, doesn't matter how many cylinders are making it, with upgraded cam, twinturbo, exhaust, chip, and a few other thinkings, withouta doubt it'll be over 400 horsepower...well into the 500's
By the time you fordge the motor to be able to handle that much power you might as well buy a V8 to put in it IMO. Don't forget drivetrain upgrades. Also it will take some serious $$$ and knowhow to get that much power out of that motor.

draarong2004
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
By the time you fordge the motor to be able to handle that much power you might as well buy a V8 to put in it IMO. Don't forget drivetrain upgrades. Also it will take some serious $$$ and knowhow to get that much power out of that motor.
i know this....mayne

i've already calculated over 20k in upgrades, and if i ever did drop a new motor in there, it'd be either a 460 crate motor, or a swap straight from a lightning with the tranny and rear diff. either way i still wanna make this motor sing to its fullest, even if all i ever do is make it hit 300 hp, still be fast for a v6 truck.

bumpin_blazer
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
300hp in a f150 isn't much if you keep your drivetrain, suspension, and really anything else stock. it's a big body heavy truck. only reason i say it'd still be slow is b/c it's a big truck.

i've built up a few trucks one being a 99' F150 v8 with TT's on it and 125shot of nitrous, slicks, cams, rollers, full exhaust, basically everything in it was ripped out and replaced. still only ran 12's i think and the guy spent over 25k in upgrades. to me, if you want a fast truck go buy yourself a 99-01' dakota 4.7L V8 and then you can drop 6grand into it and run 12's. throw another 4 grand for a proper turbo/charger setup and nitrous you'll run low 11's.

and if you think you'll get 500hp out of that v6 you're crazy. you'll literally have to rip apart and custom build about every part for the truck beside's exhaust as they make plenty of exhaust's that'll handle 500hp to the wheels. now if you meant crank then 500 i can see but still as alpine said, you're talking fully forged, and possibly custom built everything from the block back.

draarong2004
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
heh, well then explain why my friends 01 or 02, forgot the exact year, lightning does 11's in the quarter mile with just a 100 shot of nos and a chip with slicks?

Skip01
07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
heh, well then explain why my friends 01 or 02, forgot the exact year, lightning does 11's in the quarter mile with just a 100 shot of nos and a chip with slicks?
Thats it?
He should be in the 10s with slicks and a 100shot.Or at worst veryyyy loww 11s.

Lightnings are ssoooo easy to make fast,huge S/C engines(5.4) that respond well to mods.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-17-2006, 05:29 PM
If you are really serious about having a fast truck you need to sell the one you have for something else. Either a used Lightning or a V8 Dakota IMO.

Seriously though that V6 will never be fast. Even if you put a V8 in it you still have to redo the suspesion, tranny and rear end. If you start off with a truck with a better platform it will cost less in the long run IMO.

I had a V6 truck for awhile and wanted to do the same thing you want to do. Though I added it up and it would have cost too much money. So I sold it for a Camaro which later on got totalled by a guy running a red light. Now I have the GTO which was a great platform to start with and has great potential to be as fast as I want it to. The car will be running 11's when fall comes as is, though I want more so I'm going with a FI system.

Anyways my point is if you are serious about having a fast truck it would be wise to sell yours for at least a V8 truck IMO.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Thats it?

Lightnings are ssoooo easy to make fast,huge S/C engines(5.4) that respond well to mods.
A lightning with a 100 shot and slicks will not run 10's lol. I guess you don't really understand what it even takes to get into the 10's yet alone the 11's IMO.

draarong2004
07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Thats it?

um, no

and how bout no to selling this truck either, and dealing with what i have, face it, dakota's aren't my thing, too small of a truck to do what i wanna do, i like having loud stereo systems, and a reg cab, or even an extended cab, just won't cut it, the cab isn't tall enough for me to sit comfortably in one, let alone the small seats they put in them that feel like they meet the midpoint of my back. i'll make it fast one day, then i'm come on here and brag about it to the nonebelievers, engines have more potential than some people think, and it won't take much to get this truck into the 13's/14's like i want to, thats the fastest i wanna make it, not no 9 second dragster, just a daily fast truck with a 6

bumpin_blazer
07-18-2006, 12:48 AM
you know that truck run's a high 17 low 18 stock right? getting 4-5 seconds off a 1/4 mile in a truck is extremly hard especially given your weight and size. i find it funny you say the dakota's have no potential for big spl when there's a member on here doing 150's in his, i also find it funny that the seat's feel small when i owned mine it felt fine. now maybe you're a gigantic guy and all but i'm 6'3 about 265lbs so i'm not small so again unless you're huge i find it funny.

as i already said and alpine said, dakota's are IMO the best trucks to make fast and the cheapest/easiest. hell running a 13/14 in that takes 3 grand MAX in aftermarket parts if you buy the V8 one. I personally look forward to you showing me and other's up with your "fast" f-150.

on the lightning running 11's with 100shot, a chip and slicks, it'd have to be great weather and a perfect run. they run a 13.7-13.9 stock and that's from seeing 4-8 at the track weekly here in town and that's what they ran. i've seen one with a fully forged engine, slicks, 150 shot of nitrous and a few transmission mods to handle that new power and he ran i want to say mid to low 11's so without proof i call your bluff. i'm a huge fan of the lightning but let's face it, it's a different breed of truck than your f-150. even ford said they can't afford to build a new one in the forseeable future b/c they don't sell.

draarong2004
07-18-2006, 01:52 AM
in due time, and it was an 11.9 second run on that lightning my friend has. i'm no n00b to horsepower, grew up around fast cars from nova's to caprices with 400 sb's to mustangs with soo much power you couldn't stop it from chirpin the tires off the line.

bumpin_blazer
07-18-2006, 01:56 AM
11.9 i buy it then. when/if you ever think you're truck is fast lemme know. i've got a few friends in Indiana that'll show you a fast truck;). i think he ran 12.01 last pass and that was all motor.

bri487
07-18-2006, 01:58 AM
for simple bolt on power, i would do a throttle body, intake, programmer, a full on exhaust system including headers.

bumpin_blazer
07-18-2006, 02:04 AM
TB isn't a big thing unless you find it cheap. seriously, go to a junk yard and find one off a 5.4L v8 it'll fit and will be all you need.

draarong2004
07-18-2006, 02:04 AM
11.9 i buy it then. when/if you ever think you're truck is fast lemme know. i've got a few friends in Indiana that'll show you a fast truck;). i think he ran 12.01 last pass and that was all motor.
part of indiana? i'm always down for a lil fun, brothers mustang in the garage doesn't get out much ;)

draarong2004
07-18-2006, 02:06 AM
TB isn't a big thing unless you find it cheap. seriously, go to a junk yard and find one off a 5.4L v8 it'll fit and will be all you need.
reguardless of the year? because i had just seen a f150 with a 5.4 stripped down, i'm looking for some interior body panels for my truck so i don't cut up my originals, or the better looking ones i should say, and it was the wrong year, but had a big motor.....shoulda grabbed it outa there, thanx for the tip though, i'll be sure to grab one and get to wrenchin.

bumpin_blazer
07-18-2006, 02:10 AM
i'm about 99% sure it should bolt up. my buddies 98' had an 05' TB on it and that's different body style. i'll ask my bud's what part of indy if you want to wait 4 weeks he'll have the turbo and nitrous setup;).

draarong2004
07-18-2006, 02:16 AM
i'm about 99% sure it should bolt up. my buddies 98' had an 05' TB on it and that's different body style. i'll ask my bud's what part of indy if you want to wait 4 weeks he'll have the turbo and nitrous setup;).
northwestern indy, route 41 raceway wouldn't be too hard for me to get to, illiana is right around the corner, but idk if they do drags or not...