PDA

View Full Version : New enclosure! Need help!

Demi
07-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Alright ive been talked into (by MANY members of this forum) into porting my 3 10" type-Rs. Fine, im sold. But here is the question. I have read the recommended box size for the subs ported, but with three do i let them share the enclosure? Do i seperate the subs? Can someone give me some plans? I would like the port to be under or above the subs for trunk size sake. Can someone hook me up?

draarong2004
07-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Alright ive been talked into (by MANY members of this forum) into porting my 3 10" type-Rs. Fine, im sold. But here is the question. I have read the recommended box size for the subs ported, but with three do i let them share the enclosure? Do i seperate the subs? Can someone give me some plans? I would like the port to be under or above the subs for trunk size sake. Can someone hook me up?
could do the port along the top, but port on one side or the other of the 3 subs would be more efficient, and if you are porting them, its better to keep them all in the same chamber, simple fact its harder to have 2 chambers ported to the exact same frequencies than it is one, opposite of sealed, which is better to keep them seperated, otherwise they end up "fighting" for air space, reguardless of if the box is the correct size or not.

96civ
07-14-2006, 11:27 PM
and if you are porting them, its better to keep them all in the same chamber
What about cancellation? As long as you use your head and have the ability to cut wood decently well, you'll be fine putting them into separate chambers.

draarong2004
07-15-2006, 01:56 AM
What about cancellation? As long as you use your head and have the ability to cut wood decently well, you'll be fine putting them into separate chambers.
yea but when was the last box you seen that had sperate chambers and was ported other than a prefagricated box? name one person who custom built a dual chamber or more ported enclosure, efficiency is key, and so long as the subs aren't aimed at each other, explain where the cancelation would be...i'd really like to know

HAFFEY
07-15-2006, 02:12 AM
if u need help hit me up at [email protected] for box plans

draarong2004
07-15-2006, 02:16 AM
if u need help hit me up at [email protected] for box plans
and your sources/people that'll back up your credibility are?

96civ
07-15-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158570&highlight=ported+pics

I don't see any problem with a separate chamber. There is debate as to whether or not a shared chamber will actually produce cancellation. Since pointed subs towards each other produces cancellation due to the front waves interfering somewhat; why then couldn't the rear waves do the same in a shared ported chamber?

draarong2004
07-15-2006, 11:56 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158570&highlight=ported+pics

I don't see any problem with a separate chamber. There is debate as to whether or not a shared chamber will actually produce cancellation. Since pointed subs towards each other produces cancellation due to the front waves interfering somewhat; why then couldn't the rear waves do the same in a shared ported chamber?
in that same instance, an improperly designed ported box, single sub or dual, can still produce cancelation through the port if the inside of the box is designed wrong......

96civ
07-15-2006, 12:26 PM
in that same instance, an improperly designed ported box, single sub or dual, can still produce cancelation through the port if the inside of the box is designed wrong......
Assuming this person uses any work from any credible designer that would not be the issue. I could design him a box with separate chambers, and as long as he takes time and has patience in the construction, the outcome will be advantageous.

draarong2004
07-15-2006, 12:30 PM
tis true, but the issue is very controversial nonetheless.

Demi
07-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Assuming this person uses any work from any credible designer that would not be the issue. I could design him a box with separate chambers, and as long as he takes time and has patience in the construction, the outcome will be advantageous.
Well with a port for each sub thats gonna make a really really big box. I have three tens i want to put in the trunk of my 1990 audi 100. A shared port will be fine, but i dont know what i should tune it to, or how to figure out what size it should be.

Demi
07-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Little help? Box plans anybody?

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
could give you 20 different plans, that doesn't mean they are gonna fit, what kind of vehicle do you have? what are your max dimesions you have to work with?

Demi
07-16-2006, 03:17 PM
1990 audi 100. Ill haqve to measure. I have a ported dual 10 box right now and i have at least a foot on each side. Ill measure. The optimum size for one ported 10 is in the manual on alpines website, but i dont know how i should do it for three, and i dont know what size to port it to or why.

draarong2004
07-16-2006, 09:44 PM
1990 audi 100. Ill haqve to measure. I have a ported dual 10 box right now and i have at least a foot on each side. Ill measure. The optimum size for one ported 10 is in the manual on alpines website, but i dont know how i should do it for three, and i dont know what size to port it to or why.
the simplest calc i know of thats pretty accurate for any port http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

and just multiply the ported space for one sub x 3 and thats how large you should make the box
to figure on the cubic feet of a box, take the Length x height x width in inches, and divide by 1728 and that'll give you cubic feet of whatever your measurements are, best get out notepad on your computer, or a piece of paper, unless you get lucky and choose the right numbers.....
or you could cheat and use this calc found on the12volt.com
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec
which will save you alot of time, paper, and ink....lol

idk bout the port calc on there though.

96civ
07-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Well with a port for each sub thats gonna make a really really big boxShould only affect one dimension by 1.5" if I'm thinking correctly... I may be wrong since I've never built or designed a box that shared a port with multiple drivers.

PV Audio
07-17-2006, 11:15 AM
yea but when was the last box you seen that had sperate chambers and was ported other than a prefagricated box? name one person who custom built a dual chamber or more ported enclosure, efficiency is key, and so long as the subs aren't aimed at each other, explain where the cancelation would be...i'd really like to know
:uhoh: :uhoh: Someone called me perhaps? Where are you getting your information from?

PV Audio
07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Jesus man. There may or may NOT be cancellation. The problem is because you have two of the same driver reproducing the same signal in the same environment. This is the reason why you use baffles in the first place so that the front wave and back wave don't interfere with one another and cancel out one another. There usually isn't any inherent advantage one way or the other, but the possibility for cancellation in a single chamber enclosure is much greater. Same goes for those who use a single chamber with the port in the middle. Some of the soundwaves can pass into the other chamber and interfere.

PV Audio
07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
That was a horrible 14k post.

draarong2004
07-17-2006, 12:33 PM
That was a horrible 14k post.
yes it was, on an issue that was already argued about :uh:

Demi
07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
BOT,
Alpines Manual sayz i need 1.3 cubes per sub, and 11" squared port for one sub. Does this help anyone? The calculator gave me some weird numbers, maybe i dont know what im doing with it, :lol. I havent had a chance to measure my trunk, but i dont think size is going to be much of an issue with 1.3 squares per sub. I will measure tonight though.

96civ
07-17-2006, 05:11 PM
11 sq. in seems a little low for a 10" i had 33.125" for my twelve... I'd fudge that number to about 24" or so if you can fit it in. I can design you a box if you need one.

Demi
07-17-2006, 06:34 PM
11 sq. in seems a little low for a 10" i had 33.125" for my twelve... I'd fudge that number to about 24" or so if you can fit it in. I can design you a box if you need one.
Oh sweet god in heaven i need one. I would be very thankful. I was reading that ports and encloure sizes need to be EXACT for optimum sound quality. Im a big SQ fan, but i want the power to be there if i want it. Hence the third sub. Is fudging it gonna throw something out of whack? Also here is a picture of the preinstalled subs in the alpine produced enclosure.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=SBR-S122V
and that is a 12". Maybe these dont need much? I dont know. But thats the port under the sub. Really small.
Manual for my subs. (http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/documents/OM_SWR-1042D.pdf)
My subs. (http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=SWR-1042D)

draarong2004
07-17-2006, 07:21 PM
i've got a 36" square port on a custom box for 2 10's in my garage sitting there.....sounds beautiful too with just 2 jensen xs1010's that i got for free to mess around with...suckers will take some power if you ask me.

Demi
07-17-2006, 09:09 PM
i've got a 36" square port on a custom box for 2 10's in my garage sitting there.....sounds beautiful too with just 2 jensen xs1010's that i got for free to mess around with...suckers will take some power if you ask me.
Sounds good to me, i just want it to sound good. I dont know alot about tuning ports or how to figure that out. So, what size port do you guys recomend?

draarong2004
07-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Sounds good to me, i just want it to sound good. I dont know alot about tuning ports or how to figure that out. So, what size port do you guys recomend?
i'd say a 12x3 maybe a 12x4 would do you justice with those 3 10's, i was just messin around with those jensens....don't really need that large of a port myself for those 2 10's

Demi
07-18-2006, 05:10 AM
What would that tune it to?

PV Audio
07-18-2006, 11:26 AM
How about instead of getting arbitrary answers, you get a box design from someone who knows what they're doing. No I'm not saying this because I want the money (I'll be away from home for the rest of the week anyway), but you'd have more closure if you could ask one person all your questions and get consistent answers.

Demi
07-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Well i would love to get a straight answer from someone. I dont want to hire anyone to build my box for me, cuz i love doing that stuff, but also im stationed in Germany right now and the shipping of something that size would be monsterous. I was just wanting some sizes and ill draw up the plans and get feed back on that. If anyone has some plans i would love to seem em too.

PV Audio
07-18-2006, 12:48 PM
If you don't have anything by this coming friday, I'll make you a plan when I get back. :)

disturbed_cbr
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
I know its out of post but i want a box too.... for Two 3004spl's?!

Demi
07-18-2006, 06:02 PM
If you don't have anything by this coming friday, I'll make you a plan when I get back. :)
Dude thats so awesome, thanks man i owe you one.