PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Germaniums

TallestTSX
07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I see that EVERYONE on here is fanatical about them, so please bear with me as I'm a newbie here. I hear all of your opinions, but I have yet to see ONE review of them in English. Not one. I saw a review of them in German on their site, but I have no idea if that is a reputable mag or not, and I can't even freaking read it. Does anyone have a link to another review of them?

Also, does anyone here have an Acura that they've installed them in? I think they'll fit in my TSX's front doors, but I'd like to know for sure.

headless
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I see that EVERYONE on here is fanatical about them, so please bear with me as I'm a newbie here. I hear all of your opinions, but I have yet to see ONE review of them in English. Not one. I saw a review of them in German on their site, but I have no idea if that is a reputable mag or not, and I can't even freaking read it. Does anyone have a link to another review of them?

Also, does anyone here have an Acura that they've installed them in? I think they'll fit in my TSX's front doors, but I'd like to know for sure.

I never have found a review showing response curves or impedance curves though i looked quite hard when i decided to purchase my set :( Bump for interest

superdooperman
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I thought I read in a post somewhere that they just did a review of them in the newest edition of some audio magazine. I have to find out which mag, apparently its an issue with reviews on over 30 sets of components.

Anyone know? Im in canada and only get 1 car audio magazine here. :(

3.5Max6spd
07-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I never have found a review showing response curves or impedance curves though i looked quite hard when i decided to purchase my set :( Bump for interest

Is the mag that most reviews are done by, its not like they only review RAC. But it is THE german magazine for caraudio...
http://www.autohifi-magazin.de/

I see a freq response curve here...
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/dynamic/reviews/2005HE_ah_cs265germanium.jpg

Perhaps a good translator will help get more info from it.

3.5Max6spd
07-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I see the MBQ QSD being mentioned in the review. I wonder what its comparison is indicating..

headless
07-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah - that review is actually linked on rainbow's website. Unfortunately it appears to be a magazine scan in .jpg format that i can't translate without re-typing, which would take forever as i don't have a keyboard that can make special german characters :(. Searching the autohifi-magazin.de site returns 2 hits with the word 'germanium' in them, neither of which have that review in it. One might be the link to it, but if it is, it can't be read unless a 'premium subscriber'. Oh well :( Thanks for the link to the graph. I wish i could read the labels :( Do you know what the different color lines represent, or what wattage input they were giving to test?

3.5Max6spd
07-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah - that review is actually linked on rainbow's website. Unfortunately it appears to be a magazine scan in .jpg format that i can't translate without re-typing, which would take forever as i don't have a keyboard that can make special german characters :(. Searching the autohifi-magazin.de site returns 2 hits with the word 'germanium' in them, neither of which have that review in it. One might be the link to it, but if it is, it can't be read unless a 'premium subscriber'. Oh well :( Thanks for the link to the graph. I wish i could read the labels :( Do you know what the different color lines represent, or what wattage input they were giving to test?

diff color lines represent off axi response....likely 30 and 60degree...the later one being the first one to drop. Response looks pretty uniform across the range.

eqsandleds
07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Rainbow may make a very fine product, but the lack of dealers and support in the US is what drove me to something different that I could actualy hear before I bought. Things could change though, I could run into someone that has Rainbows in their car and I could be so blown away that I'll ditch what I have now and buy some . I doubt that though as I am very happy with what I have.

BlackMaxima
07-14-2006, 10:22 PM

but how does it sound to you???? you like it?

headless
07-15-2006, 01:14 PM
but how does it sound to you???? you like it?

Oh hell yeah. I love my germaniums :)
I made a thread when i first installed them with pics of installation (ok so it's a ghetto non deadened installation but still) and impressions.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149933

They're the best set of components i've had the pleasure of listening to.

turn it up
07-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Rainbow may make a very fine product, but the lack of dealers and support in the US is what drove me to something different that I could actualy hear before I bought. Things could change though, I could run into someone that has Rainbows in their car and I could be so blown away that I'll ditch what I have now and buy some . I doubt that though as I am very happy with what I have.

Yea I hear ya. I think the closest dealer is in Hawaii when I got a response from Rainbow. However there is a network of dealers being setup soon in the west coast and so on from these guys.

http://distinctusa.com/

Hopefully I'll see some local dealers join them soon.

SuperBlack350z
07-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Just got these in and working in my g/f's car ( a 17 hour nightmare), but after listening to them for awhile, it was worth it. Both my g/f and I are very satisfied with the sound of these speakers. I've had experience with Alpine Type R's and Diamond Audio Hex's, and these walk all over the Type R's and a much more satisfying sound to us than the Hex's. They have a little more in your face quality to them, I guess is how I'd describe it, but the highs are NEVER harsh, and the mids are awesome, snare drums **** near rip your head off. These are in an 06 Subaru WRX with no rear fill w/ a 12" Alpine Type R. They're run off of a Polk audio CS300.2 with 150w RMS going to them and we absolutely love them. Whenever I get my new car I'm not even going to look at other speakers.

6spdcoupe
07-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Yea I hear ya. I think the closest dealer is in Hawaii when I got a response from Rainbow. However there is a network of dealers being setup soon in the west coast and so on from these guys.

http://distinctusa.com/

Hopefully I'll see some local dealers join them soon.

Steven/Distinct is the distibutor. Although it will still be a couple weeks prior to him receiving his first container from RAC. Hopefully the name will once again catch on and dealers will start stepping up again, although unfortunately I dont see it being a fast growth.

JoeHemi57
07-16-2006, 12:24 AM
whats the depth on the germs? i used to have a TSX and the doors were very shallow.

BlackMaxima
07-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Oh hell yeah. I love my germaniums :)
I made a thread when i first installed them with pics of installation (ok so it's a ghetto non deadened installation but still) and impressions.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149933

They're the best set of components i've had the pleasure of listening to.

Thats all that matter, as long as you like it.

turn it up
07-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Steven/Distinct is the distibutor. Although it will still be a couple weeks prior to him receiving his first container from RAC. Hopefully the name will once again catch on and dealers will start stepping up again, although unfortunately I dont see it being a fast growth.

ic..Yea I know Rainbow is not that well known to dealers. I think we have one around here and I dont think he gets a lot of buyers for it. The average consumer just goto stores like BB or CC and they basically are drawn to more mainstream products like Infinity, Sony, Kenwood, etc.. I hope the dealers recognize Rainbow's potential and take it to the next level.