PDA

View Full Version : Yep, time to do some glassin....

Demi
07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Alrighty, im gonna try my hand at a fiberglassed back sub enclosure for my friends civic. Heres the deal though. I wanna port it, and i wanna make sure that im getting the right cubes. How do i measure this? Is it just trial and error with water? I hope not. Little help?

heyman421
07-13-2006, 10:41 PM
http://www.ubishops.ca/health/h_edu/drugs_files/image003.jpg

http://www.rtve.es/comunicacion/images/documentos141104.jpg

glassin FTL

bibby
07-13-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm curious on this issue aswell.

CrazedCat
07-13-2006, 10:54 PM
use uncooked rice to measure volume

Chevyaudio
07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
packing peanuts work well too.

bjfish11
07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
packing peanuts work well too.
x2

nVRuckus
07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
packing peanuts are the most popular way to do it because it is inexpensive but is also not very accurate. I have to admit i do it sometimes to. rice would be a really good way but expensive compared to other means. If it is sealed good water is an excellent way just make sure you line it with a garbage bag first or it will be a ***** to dry out.

Demi
07-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Is there any way to measure before i make the box?!

nVRuckus
07-13-2006, 11:53 PM
guess? I mean if your doing a 3/4 box i.e. MDF sides, bottom, and back with a sloped front to top it would be 3/4 the area of the box squared. but if your doing a form of a non flat area its kinda hard to get acurate readings without teadious measuring.

dbornotdb
07-14-2006, 01:36 AM
I use the peanuts and don't have any problems.

People say that because they lay unevenly or leave little gaps in areas, that it gives you false readings.
Well they will lay the same way in the box I put them into to measure for the cubic foot, so whats the difference?

Chevyaudio
07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
The reason that many people say packing peanuts are inaccurate, is because of their low packing effenciency (they do not pack tightly together) leaving gaps that would make a measurement inaccurate...but its miniscule.

dbornotdb
07-14-2006, 10:59 AM
The reason that many people say packing peanuts are inaccurate, is because of their low packing effenciency (they do not pack tightly together) leaving gaps that would make a measurement inaccurate...but its miniscule.

Exactly.

But here is how I do it.

Put the packing peanuts in the fiberglassed enclosure. Transfere them to a cardboard box, leveling them.
Now you have your width and depth of the box already and then just measure how deep the peanuts are for the heigth.

They will sit inside the cardboard box just about as tight as they would in the fiberglassed enclosure, so like chev said, it will be miniscule.