PDA

View Full Version : Which way would you do it?

jluv
07-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm wiring up a set of Boston Pro 60s, using one or two PPI A600.2s and a W200+H701 combo. There are three options I am considering. All three will result in roughly 225w to the mids, and 75w to the tweets.

1. Use the mid output on the H701 to one A600.2, using the processor's active crossover, and then using the tweeter output on the H701 to the other A600.2 the same way. This gives me the most control over the crossover points and slopes. (This is the setup I am leaning towards.) If you choose this setup, what crossover points would you recommend as a starting point?

2. Same as #1, except setting the crossover point on the H701 to the mid at 70hz (or so) and up, through the A600.2, and then running it through the passive that came from Boston, that cuts off at around 3500 hz. Then setting the front tweet crossover to flat and running it through the other A600.2, and then through the Boston passive, sending it 3500 and up. This was recommended by Boston tech support (they seemed very knowledgeable and helpful) and it will still allow me all of the equalization and time correction control from the H701, while also letting me retain the tweeter protection built into the the passive crossover. I could also do this with only the tweeters, and ditch the passive mid crossover from Boston.

3. Just run from the H701, to one A600.2, through the passive crossovers, to the components. The advantage of this is that I still get the same amount of power to the set, but I get to keep the other A600.2 for something else, like some dedicated midbass drivers down the road, or maybe just to toss in my girlfriend's car.

Thanks in advance for any input.

squeak9798
07-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Honestly, it depends on your level of skill and how you are setting up the system.

If you can handle setting up an active system and obtaining maximum results, then that is the route to go.

If you don't trust yourself setting up the active system optimally, then the bi-amping option is probably the second best since, as was mentioned, you could retain things like time alignment and the built in tweeter protection.

Depending on your install though, time alignment may not really be necessary (atleast independent time alignment, such as if you were using the co-axial style mounting option where the mid and tweeter will be point sourced), in which case option number 3 would be the best/simplest way to go.