PDA

View Full Version : minivan gets a new look aka the box made from leftovers :)

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 12:41 AM
well folks i got sick and tired of my original minivan install taking up so much much room. i also wanted to get the third row seat back in. looked in the shed and what do you know i got a ton of left over 3/4" mdf so since i didnt have to spend the money on wood i decided to buy myself some new tools. these include new circular saw ,clamps, router, 12 pack of router bits and a nifty pancake air compressor and brad gun ... MAN I LOVE BRADS ! I had never used brads before but i quickly learned to love them so much so that im ashamed of how many brads are holding this thing together. but no worries cause i also used a ton of glue picked up a gallon jug of elmers wood glue.

this is what the old girl used to look like on the inside
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/2818/img00111kx.jpg

i wont bore you with all the build pics. i think we have enough build threads going on right now.
. the internal space minus displacement is almost exactly the same as my old box the only new thing for me was making the ports out of wood and they are pretty big for me i used to always use 4" round ports but the ones on this box are 5"x5" made from 3/4" mdf . yea yea i know i shoulda used something thinner but the goal of this project was also to spend as little money as possible on wood and instead use up stuff i already had laying . when everything was said and done i spent roughly 4 bucks on wood . im a tool wh0re so i spent the $$ on that plus i will use them on other non audio projects * specially since the mrs. has seen the magic of a flush trim bit* :(.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6969/minivanslimdown0bs.jpg

the end result is well actually its annoying lol . its so da mn loud ! it was loud before but now you can feel a ton of air bieng pushed out of the doors the roof flexing even more than before and then there is the god awful rattle on the rear hatch and its not the license place but the entire hatch. and thats on the outside.
i need to get started sound deadning it pronto! but im hesitant on using the asphalt based stuff i have laying around im afraid it will fall off. i used it on the floor and wheel wells. so after i figure out how to pop the panel off i will get started on that.

on the inside its like a kick in the chest ,head and feet at the same time rearview is useless and not kinda useless i mean 100% wtf did they put that in here for useless. its kinda funny feeling the hair on your arms move with the bass and the bass feels like its comming from everywhere at once . i love the new sound kinda wierd how i cant hear the rattles from the inside. it still needs some fine tuning but all in all im pretty happy with how it came out.

ohh yea i still gotta clean the wiring up a bit and take a vacuum to the box look at all that saw dust lol it was getting late and i needed to finish up

bibby
07-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Got a few wrinkles.
Yes it is.

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Second pic doesnt work...

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
should work now s2pd links

yea the first did have a few wrinkles in it but i worked them out later i just never took pics .

sws10
07-13-2006, 12:49 AM
wwoowwzzeerrss

GemaRastem
07-13-2006, 01:23 AM
were you drunk when you wrote that? cause not using any punctuation confuses the **** out of a drunk person.

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 01:26 AM
were you drunk when you wrote that? cause not using any punctuation confuses the **** out of a drunk person.
lol you must really be drunk then hahaha
i will admit im am more than a bit tired and the punctiation isnt 100% correct but its there

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-13-2006, 01:29 AM
I still dont see a second picture..

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 01:32 AM
I still dont see a second picture..
hmm dunno see if this link works
http://f10.putfile.com/main/7/19222505272.jpg

copperhead069
07-13-2006, 01:39 AM
link still dosent work

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 02:00 AM
hmm
wierd ill try hosting it elsewhere

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 02:04 AM
i switched it to imageshack hope this works for yall

smd4life
07-13-2006, 02:06 AM
nice...is it louder?

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
yep its way louder .
btw can you see both pics?

smd4life
07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
yeah there both working now, weren't a lil while ago

SilverSquared
07-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Not bad. Prolly loud as FARK because of how close the ports are to the back wall

springy101
07-13-2006, 03:00 AM
just now saw the second, and man that looks ******. i wish i had those skills.

bigwheel15
07-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Looks great, I actually like the second box/amp rack as opposed to the first. The first looked like a matress with an amp in it.

helotaxi
07-13-2006, 11:17 AM
The extra loudness and the rattles probably have the same cause, the ports being right against the rear hatch. As a result, I would guess that your tuning isn't exact what you planned.

MadAudio
07-13-2006, 10:45 PM
SilverSquared
yep its just a bit of rear hatch rattle nothing some weather stripping and sounddead cant fix.

springy101

thanks something like that is pretty easy to build im just waay lazy hehe.

bigwheel15

yea i like the new setup much better i think it just looks alot cleaner .

helotaxi

agreed to the rattles and loudness.
from the ports to the rear hatch its like 2 1/2 inches . im sure thats the cause for most of the rattle .
i know you know your stuff so can you please tell me how bieng so close to the hatch affects the tuning? im sure it does just not sure how .im guessing its like going from a small port to a bigger one.
just curious and always trying to learn some more.

all in all i love the new sound the bass now hits with definate authority
it just seems tighter more defined.

helotaxi
07-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Having the port less that the diameter of the port from another surface effectively increases the length of the port and lower the tuning. It can also have a corner loading effect and give a bit of a boost in response.

MadAudio
07-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Having the port less that the diameter of the port from another surface effectively increases the length of the port and lower the tuning. It can also have a corner loading effect and give a bit of a boost in response.
ahh thanks for the info .
so if you had to take a guess on the tuning would you say it would lower 1-2hz or more?

60ndown
07-14-2006, 07:10 PM
http://i2.tinypic.com/1zyzfxt.jpg
minivans4tw:D

954runner
07-14-2006, 07:13 PM
why was your false floor so big on the first one? any specific reasons?

MadAudio
07-14-2006, 07:20 PM
well actually at the time the mrs. kept me busy moving stuff back and forwards from her moms so the amprack doubled as a place to put stuff it was made from 3/4" mdf to take the weight of dressers and such. plus was just bored and wanted to try something new ( for me anyways). i thought it came out "ok" but soon after decided to redo it next chance i got.
i got lots of time to kill in the summer :).

xluben
07-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I like the new box A LOT (much better than the first).

Good work! Looks very professional.

chris13
07-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey MadAudio I also have a nissan quest (1999) and was wondering where you ran your power wire through the firewall did you have to drill a hole.

MadAudio
07-16-2006, 05:48 PM
xluben

thanks i like the new look alot better myself.

chris13
right behind the steering wheel to the left a bit ( if facing car from front bumper) there is a big rubber grommet has a few wires going into cabin but its sealed i very carefully cut a slice into the rubber opposite of the wires and gently opened it using my fingers.

well guys i spent yesterday removing the rear hatch and applying a couple of layers of sound dead. I decided to use the asphalt stuff i had laying around i figure if it does fall off it wont make much mess since the bottom of the trim wraps under the metal pretty tight and should catch anything that falls . i also cleaned everything very well and use my nifty little roller to press it into place.
the good news is it went pretty smooth
the bad news is it did not do as much for the rattle as i hoped .
turns out inside i had a slight rattle from the trim panel itself and now that is gone.
but on the outside its a bit more tame than it was but the rattle is still there and now i see why...... it wasnt the inside of the hatch thats vibrating its the whole perimeter of the hatch thing flexes like crazy lol. next im going to try weather stripping the inside edge of the rear hatch see if that helps some.
the bass now is sooo much stronger than before setting my nonfad out to -2 is equal to what is sounded before on +6 and when i set it to +6 the bass is enough to make my eclipse head unit skip . for a few minutes i thought my hu was having troubles then i realized it was the bass turned down the output and it stopped skipping.