PDA

View Full Version : Round port distance from wall

thejoker989
07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
How close can a round port be to the inside wall? Not the end, but the sides.

helotaxi
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Right against it if you apply end correction. Sorry, don't have the forula to figure correction factor handy.

Railrocker
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Far enough away it doesnt touch. I think you could have them touching but you would get some nasty rattling.

thejoker989
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Right against it if you apply end correction. Sorry, don't have the forula to figure correction factor handy.

What is end correction? I noticed that is winisd and just assumed it was flaring the end.

Spud2388
07-12-2006, 04:12 PM
What is end correction? I noticed that is winisd and just assumed it was flaring the end.

Don't hold me to it, but i thinks it factoring in the fact that the wall of the box will act like a port wall, causing a slight change in tuning frequency.

but hell, what do I know.

helotaxi
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Don't hold me to it, but i thinks it factoring in the fact that the wall of the box will act like a port wall, causing a slight change in tuning frequency.

but hell, what do I know.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Thinking about it, you could turn it out away from the wall with an elbow of some sort as long as you include the centerline length of the elbow into the total length of the port.

squeak12
07-12-2006, 08:18 PM
If Im not mistaken, end correction is just half the width of the port. Also, I would rather the port up against the wall than just a bit away from it. It will be prone to be louder if its not touching depending on the length of the port.