PDA

View Full Version : Installation Costs... what should I expect?

TallestTSX
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm looking to get my front factory speakers replaced (components, tweets in the dash, woofers in the front doors), get a subwoofer added in a fiberglass enclosure in the trunk, and get an amp added in a place that's out of sight (they're not doing anything special for it, just putting it out of the way). They're also putting just a little sound deadening stuff in... namely in the two doors and the trunk, but not covering everything.

If I have all the speakers and the amp, isn't $800 a bit steep for the Dynamat and installation of all?

alphakenny1
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
the labor itself should cost you $0 because you should DIY :D.

No seriously, its not that hard at all to install everything yourself. Just read lots and you'll learn more and have fun installing your own system.

danteBirosel
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
kenny is right. it's really fun installing ur own system. After installing your own system, u will be proud of what ur outcome is.

-dante

mikeyboc
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
You can expect to be raped. I would suggest taking a look around this and other forums, and you might be able to do it yourself and save the cash . . . and the raping.

TallestTSX
07-12-2006, 01:03 PM
kenny is right. it's really fun installing ur own system. After installing your own system, u will be proud of what ur outcome is.

-dante
I've installed my own system before. Years ago, I had a simple system in an old LeBaron (Oz Audio 6.5 components up front with two Fosgate Punch 12" DVC subs in back with two amps to power them). However, there are a few reasons why I don't want to do this myself.

1) Fit of the sub box. The installer I'm talking to owns a TSX, and he's done this particular install before. That means that he knows the right fit for the box (including size of the box) and has access to carpet that perfectly matches the trunk. I don't know where to find those things.

2) Working with fiberglass. I've never done this before as my last box was MDF (I'm not doing that again). And with a brand new car, I fear messing something up.

3) Fear of hurting my new car. This is my first new car, and it's in perfect condition. At least if I bring it to a reputable shop and something goes wrong, I can blame them.

4) Possibility of rattling/not putting everything perfectly back in place. Big fear. Don't want to suddenly have a problem with door rattling.

5) Working with sound deadening. That would require me taking the carpeting off my trunk, etc., and I don't even know where the best place is to install that stuff. I don't just want to stick it everywhere.

TallestTSX
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
You can expect to be raped. I would suggest taking a look around this and other forums, and you might be able to do it yourself and save the cash . . . and the raping.
So, my question is, is $800 a raping, or is that reasonable? I DEFINITELY trust the installer, so that's not an issue at all. The reason I ask is that I want to know if I should start looking for other installers, or if this is reasonable, and I won't bother looking around.

mikeyboc
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
I've installed my own system before. Years ago, I had a simple system in an old LeBaron (Oz Audio 6.5 components up front with two Fosgate Punch 12" DVC subs in back with two amps to power them). However, there are a few reasons why I don't want to do this myself.

1) Fit of the sub box. The installer I'm talking to owns a TSX, and he's done this particular install before. That means that he knows the right fit for the box (including size of the box) and has access to carpet that perfectly matches the trunk. I don't know where to find those things.

2) Working with fiberglass. I've never done this before as my last box was MDF (I'm not doing that again). And with a brand new car, I fear messing something up.

3) Fear of hurting my new car. This is my first new car, and it's in perfect condition. At least if I bring it to a reputable shop and something goes wrong, I can blame them.

4) Possibility of rattling/not putting everything perfectly back in place. Big fear. Don't want to suddenly have a problem with door rattling.

5) Working with sound deadening. That would require me taking the carpeting off my trunk, etc., and I don't even know where the best place is to install that stuff. I don't just want to stick it everywhere.

Blame doesn't mean it will fix the ****. Most of the time, if the fvck something up they will cover it up and you won't know about it untill later.

BTW, stick it wherever you can while you can.

mikeyboc
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
So, my question is, is $800 a raping, or is that reasonable? I DEFINITELY trust the installer, so that's not an issue at all. The reason I ask is that I want to know if I should start looking for other installers, or if this is reasonable, and I won't bother looking around.

It couldn't hurt to get other quotes and compare.

TallestTSX
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
It couldn't hurt to get other quotes and compare.
True enough. So do my other concerns sound reasonable, or am I just lazy?

One thing I also forgot to mention is that I no longer have a garage or driveway to work in like I used to. That hurts.

superdooperman
07-12-2006, 01:42 PM
It doesnt matter where you go, a shop is gonna RAPE on in regards to installation of dampening materials.

When an average shop charges 50 or so an hour for their time, and dampening can easily take into the 6 hour range depending on the car and what needs to be done, you can expect a big labour bill.

Inform yourself, do some research, to go a few shops and see what you can do yourself, then leave the rest for the pros.

mach999
07-12-2006, 02:15 PM
My 2 cents...

1) Get another quote and maybe your guy will lower the price a little.

2) Let your guy do everything except the sound deadening. It's easy but time consuming and this is going to take up the bulk of the install time.

theCybe
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Don't be afraid, bust that car open! Doors come off easy, and trunk trim comes off even easier.

Fiberglass resin, however, doesn't come off easily. ;) So maybe you should evaluate the pros and cons there.

Thing about install shop jobs is that it can look really nice and be absolutely horrid mechanically.

They're selling the appearance, the bling, the rap videos.

Your quote is "reasonable," - Reasonable being defined as

"Not overpriced compared to another shop.

adam71
07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
What is a TSX??

Prowler573
07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
What is a TSX??
A 4-door Acura

turn it up
07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I think all of the stuff in the front you should do it yourself. Its really easy and probably cut half of your bills. Now for the rear if you dont want to spend time working with custom fiberglass then letting the shop do that would be alright. Personally I dont trust shop installation anyway but if its something time consuming then paying them to do it would be my option.