PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to build a box with subs firing forward and ports up?

supraman1379
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I was under the impression that the ports are supposed to be firing the same direction as the subs. But can they face up if the subs are firing forward.

I am going to build another box soon tuned alot higher than the one I have now. Prolly like 40-45 hz for the new box.

I would like to have the ports facing up if all possible. I am thinking that it would be better firing up like that. Because the box I have now has the ports firing forward going under my seats.

Here is what my box looks like now.
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Ranger CompVR 15s 3.d5d.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

Would it work to build an identical box and fire the ports up?

PV Audio
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
It will destroy your electrical system ;)

JP. There shouldn't be anything wrong, it might just sound different because of the acoustics of your truck. If possible, or if under normal circumstances, firing subs and port on the same plane is preferable.

tRiGgEr
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
It will not cause a problem. If this is for a SPL install, you may even want to try every possible alignment option for best results.

wesl56
07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
i had a box in a ranger with sub behind the driver seat and port facing up behind the passenger seat... i was the only box i ever had in there so i dont have anything to compare it to, but it worked...

squeak12
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
You can point the ports to the left and put the subs on the back if you want. I doesnt matter as long as the subs arent firing directly into the port.

supraman1379
07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
It will not cause a problem. If this is for a SPL install, you may even want to try every possible alignment option for best results.

Yea this is for SPL. I am trying to find a way to get the most SPL possible out of the new box. SO I figured if the ports were firing up, the air would be able to go any direction in the truck.

But just out of curiosity, does anyone know the resonant frequency of a ext cab ranger?

And would I gain more spl if I were to tune the new box higher than 40hz? If so, how high should I tune it?

954runner
07-12-2006, 02:58 PM
i did it.
so did my friend in his ext cab frontier.

AZ-ss
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
You might hear more port noise. Might I suggest ports facing sideways. (out towards the doors)

supraman1379
07-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Just wondering, what does port noise sound like?

theCybe
07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
How should I phrase this.

You know how you can make the beer-bottle noise when you blow across the top of it? Try that with like, a notebook, or a CD.

It's the sound of turbulence.

PV Audio
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Just wondering, what does port noise sound like?
Do you know how to roll your tongue? Like how you say "rr" in spanish. Then exhale alot while making that noise, and there ya go.

supraman1379
07-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Do you know how to roll your tongue? Like how you say "rr" in spanish. Then exhale alot while making that noise, and there ya go.

Alright thanks. I got it now. But its just a competition box, So it will probably come in and out as the competitions come and go. Thats why I had the current box built. As a daily driver. Its tuned to 32hz

So what should I tune the box to? 50 or above?

heyman421
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
that's hard to guesstimate, you may wanna do an external aeroport, so you can change it in minutes.

Sounds like you have the daily driver setup down, so if it's just a comp box, it wont matter if it's ugly

i'd get a cheap-o meter, too, if you're really gonna try to optimize it...

doesn't have to be accurate, just accurate in relation to different trials

supraman1379
07-12-2006, 05:40 PM
that's hard to guesstimate, you may wanna do an external aeroport, so you can change it in minutes.

Sounds like you have the daily driver setup down, so if it's just a comp box, it wont matter if it's ugly

i'd get a cheap-o meter, too, if you're really gonna try to optimize it...

doesn't have to be accurate, just accurate in relation to different trials
Yea Ive been wanting to get a TermLab for a while anyways. Maybe as a grad gift. lol.(highly doubt it, but theres always hope)

But Ive been meaning to ask. Whats the difference between the aeroports and vents?

Blunt
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
subs forward port up

theCybe
07-12-2006, 09:15 PM

Could you post a video of that, please?

lol :)