PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" Front and Back, but should I...

myflow
07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd like a nice front stage to keep up with my new sub. I've got a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 6 1/2" stock infinity gold speakers all around. I'm looking for a nice front stage that would sound nice with my 15" L7 in the back. I'm not too worried about rear fill (should I be?), since it's a jeep, and all you hear is bass coming from behind you anyway...

Anyhow, question is... should I pick up some 5" Rainbow SLC's for less than $150 and bracket them for my front doors into the 6.5" area? I'm not too worried about an extremely good sound, but an exceptional front stage paired up with my sub would make me a happy guy.

Opinions?

Thanks.

-Jason

Kickerkitty
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
If you will be running this off of HU power, this should work just fine for you.

myflow
07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
If you will be running this off of HU power, this should work just fine for you.

Well, I may run off of HU power (I have the Pioneer deh-p80mp), which would save me $100+ on another amp and some more wiring. But I wouldn't really mind buying another amp if I had to.

Would they still have the quality sound that Rainbows do with just the HU powering them, as opposed to their own amp? As I understand, the only real difference between running them off the HU and an Amp is loudness. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning. :blush:

squeak9798
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
But I wouldn't really mind buying another amp if I had to.

Please do!

Would they still have the quality sound that Rainbows do with just the HU powering them, as opposed to their own amp?

If you truly want an "exceptional" frontstage as you mentioned in your first post, then use an external amplifier.

As I understand, the only real difference between running them off the HU and an Amp is loudness. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning. :blush:

Much more than loudness. Most headunit's internal amplifiers are pretty...well, crappy. High distortion, etc etc. Not to mention their anemic power output...you won't even get close to pushing the speaker to anywhere near their full potential. You will notice a huge difference in overall performance by using an external amplifier.

In regards to your first post.....no, don't worry about rear speakers. But why are you only wanting to use 5" speakers when you have factory 6.5" openings?

helotaxi
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
The HU amp will provide no real power before distortion gets into the audible range. With any speaker worthy of being considered an upgrade, an amp is going to be pretty much vital to notice a difference.

I wouldn't go with 5" midup front. They will not provide a stable front stage capable of keeping up with a 15" sub. Without an amp it wouldn't have a prayer.

myflow
07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Good deal on the speakers is my reason for only going with 5's. But now that you've hit me with some very knowledgable facts, I'm thinking I'll just wait a week and pick up some 6.5's and an amp. I was originally thinking somewhere in the $300 range on the speakers. And an amp.. well, there's a very wide range of those out there. Who knows how much that will end up costing me.

For the 6.5's then, I was originally either going with the Boston Pro60's or the Rainbow SLC's. I've heard nothing but good reviews on both, and both are in the same price bracket.