PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

TallestTSX
07-11-2006, 07:35 PM
So I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers in my TSX, but I'm being told that upgrading the rear speakers (both door and in the deck) is not recommended. Now I don't care about my back seat passengers at all, so that's not the issue. I'm just wondering if everything will sound alright with just components in the front and a sub in the trunk. Is this how most high-end installs are done? I know that I would leave out the 6x9's if I put a sub in, but leaving out ALL of the rear speakers seems extreme.

What do you recommend? Will the sound truly sound good and engulf me with only front speakers? Are there other things to consider?

Thanks.

ismelllikepoop
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-837
from what i understand, the 6x9's in the rear are subs. if those fit, i think it would be a cool upgrade. are you installing a cleansweep type deal with a new amp?

crow
07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
You should be fine with just the fronts and a sub in the back. Run a quality set and give them good power and you will never notice the rear speakers are gone.

The TangBands do look kind of sharp. Never heard any of them, though. Would make a great stealth install if they play right.

ItalynStylion
07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
The TangBands do look kind of sharp. Never heard any of them, though. Would make a great stealth install if they play right.
Yeah man, those look tight as hell! Are there many 6x9 open air subs like that?!?
I would like to hear some of those:naughty:

squeak9798
07-12-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm just wondering if everything will sound alright with just components in the front and a sub in the trunk. Is this how most high-end installs are done?

Yup.

Having rear speakers will only hinder the performance of the stereo as a whole. Rear speakers will cause cancellation/phasing issues, which will create frequency response problems, aswell as creating another source point behind you which will damage the imaging and soundstaging.

I know that I would leave out the 6x9's if I put a sub in, but leaving out ALL of the rear speakers seems extreme.

Not at all, for the reasons I mentioned above.

What do you recommend?

Drop the rear speakers. Not necessary.

Will the sound truly sound good and engulf me with only front speakers?

Depends on what you mean by "engulf". The sound should not be coming at you from every direction...only from infront of you.

Think of it like this....when you're at a live concert, is the band in front of you or completely surrounding you? They're only in front of you. This is the same effect you want your stereo to recreate, and it's called soundstaging. The "stage" should be in front of you in your vehicle, with all of the instruments placed in their correct positions on this imaginary stage (this is called imaging).

And yes, a properly installed and amplified set of front speakers will have more than enough output. Quantity of sound will not be lacking in the least.

Are there other things to consider?

In regards to rear speakers, or the stereo system as a whole?

TallestTSX
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Think of it like this....when you're at a live concert, is the band in front of you or completely surrounding you? They're only in front of you. This is the same effect you want your stereo to recreate, and it's called soundstaging. The "stage" should be in front of you in your vehicle, with all of the instruments placed in their correct positions on this imaginary stage (this is called imaging).
I guess my biggest fear is that at my size (6'9"), my legs block my door speakers (I'm not putting in kick panels or any other after-market box). Will I have any problems hearing the mid-range of sound from the left channel?

helotaxi
07-12-2006, 03:46 PM
No. You won't have a problem.

mlstrass
07-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I'll play devil's advocate sort of. Get your sub and front stage going and if "you" think you need rear fill then get it.

I see the live concert reference quite often and understand it, but what about us who grew up in the dance clubs in the 80's? I'm used to sound all around me and listen to music in 7 channel stereo at home. As for actual concerts, been to pleny of metal bands and with the WALL of speakers they use it sure does NOT sound like 2 channel stereo. AC/DC 3rd row years back was definitely surround sound!!!

I use a pair of JBL coax's with bass blockers in the rear, off the HU and they do make a difference. A little more "volume" I guess, but they don't negatively affect the sound out of the front stage at all. YMMV....

SuperTrooper
07-14-2006, 05:45 PM
It all depends on what sounds best to you. Try it with and without the rear fill then choose from there. Being an ol' timer myself. Some of the best " sound staging" acts have rear fill. Deep Purple, Rush, Queen and Pink Floyd. The best sounding live acts I've seen and heard.

squeak9798
07-15-2006, 11:05 AM
I used the reference to a live band since that's what most people on here would be familiar with. But in reality, a better reference would be to a live, unamplified concert such as most orchestra's. In which case, speaker placement at the concert is of no consequence (since there aren't any) and the soundstaging and imaging should all be completely in front of you and placed where the instruments on the stage are located.

Likewise, most amplified concerts are not set in up a mannor to allow for best "sound quality", but instead to cover the entire arena with sound. In which case, most any amplified concerts are a bad example or reference to use for soundstaging and imaging. For example....if Maynard, the lead singer for TOOL, walks across the stage left to right, the sound the audience is hearing is not going to follow that. When referencing imaging from a live amplified concert, the soundstaging and imaging for the reproduction (your stereo) should be dictated by where the band is located on the stage, and not where the speakers for the concert are located.

helotaxi
07-15-2006, 01:38 PM
It all depends on what sounds best to you. Try it with and without the rear fill then choose from there. Being an ol' timer myself. Some of the best " sound staging" acts have rear fill. Deep Purple, Rush, Queen and Pink Floyd. The best sounding live acts I've seen and heard.
Those acts use processing (and probably a lot of it) on the rear channels. They are not merely duplicates of the fronts as most car rear fill setups are. There is a huge difference between processed and unprocessed rear channels.

ItalynStylion
07-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I used the reference to a live band since that's what most people on here would be familiar with. But in reality, a better reference would be to a live, unamplified concert such as most orchestra's. In which case, speaker placement at the concert is of no consequence (since there aren't any) and the soundstaging and imaging should all be completely in front of you and placed where the instruments on the stage are located.

Likewise, most amplified concerts are not set in up a mannor to allow for best "sound quality", but instead to cover the entire arena with sound. In which case, most any amplified concerts are a bad example or reference to use for soundstaging and imaging. For example....if Maynard, the lead singer for TOOL, walks across the stage left to right, the sound the audience is hearing is not going to follow that. When referencing imaging from a live amplified concert, the soundstaging and imaging for the reproduction (your stereo) should be dictated by where the band is located on the stage, and not where the speakers for the concert are located.
Way to reference TOOL:up2somet: ....at least one of you seems to have it together