View Full Version : High current amplifiers

thylantyr
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I like messing with people.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=697424

ballstothewall
07-12-2006, 01:18 AM
:laugh:
It seems as if your comments aren't appreciated....

azbass
07-12-2006, 01:22 AM
that forum looks ghey with the blue and pink theme going...

thylantyr
07-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Donnie Darko Audio Analysis ........

joetama
07-12-2006, 03:53 AM
OMG OMG I did something to cause problems on another forum let me run over to this one and show off my e-***** and people will like me and then maybe one day it will be so big that I can have some self confidence.....

thylantyr
07-12-2006, 12:46 PM
OMG OMG I did something to cause problems on another forum let me run over to this one and show off my e-***** and people will like me and then maybe one day it will be so big that I can have some self confidence.....

Not everyone in the world is as clever as we are here right? No matter how
you try to train folks, they never get it. The marketing brainwashing never ends.

You have an e-*****? Do you have spam and virus protection on it ?:crazy:

joetama
07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
You understand we live in a capitalistic society so marketing is something that is necessary, and I’m sure that it isn't all brainwashing BS. However, by your efforts to cleanse people of their brainwashed ways you are trying to brainwash them, ergo you are no better than the marketing gurus that you hate so much. Also, why do you have them so much? Were you molested by your uncle who was the president of marketing at some company? Because if you were you might consider seeking some type of professional help.

JimJ
07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I get a chuckle out of that board when I'm linked to it...seems that they have a very narrow view of what speakers and amplifiers can and cannot do, and have a hard time accepting things out of their paradigm :)

That and the sucky layout is part of why I never bothered to join...

IamDeMan
07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I get a chuckle out of that board when I'm linked to it...seems that they have a very narrow view of what speakers and amplifiers can and cannot do, and have a hard time accepting things out of their paradigm :)

That and the sucky layout is part of why I never bothered to join...The layout turned me off too. Just plain stupid.

adio
07-12-2006, 06:14 PM
this is why i don't go there anymore:naughty: :)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=637656

thylantyr
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
You understand we live in a capitalistic society so marketing is something that is necessary, and Iím sure that it isn't all brainwashing BS. However, by your efforts to cleanse people of their brainwashed ways you are trying to brainwash them, ergo you are no better than the marketing gurus that you hate so much. Also, why do you have them so much? Were you molested by your uncle who was the president of marketing at some company? Because if you were you might consider seeking some type of professional help.

Once my battlestation is up and running, they will be cleansed if they didn't
suffer death first :)

thylantyr
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM

That and the sucky layout is part of why I never bothered to join...

If you are bored and need to pass time, then it's a great place to dish out
punishment .. because it's too easy ..

It's like playing a first person shooter video game in god mode :p: :crazy: :cool:

JimJ
07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
This place has more than enough idiots for me to get my fill, I don't need to search out other forums to find asshats :)

adio
07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
i said the word 'crib' in the title:)

DBfan187
07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
ohm's law is for Dc:laugh:

UndercoverPunk
07-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I farted on another forum... come check it out...

joetama
07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I farted on another forum... come check it out...

OMG OMG OMG that's funny dude......

hoss
07-12-2006, 08:13 PM
correct me if im wrong, but arent all the responses about what a high current amplifier incorrect... i think even yours are thyl...

HC amps create the power by putting out more current than normal amplifiers. power = current x voltage. for instance, whereas a regular amp might produce 1000w by creating 75V and 1.333amps of current. a HC amp could produce 1000w by creating 40V and 25 amps of current.

at least, that was my understanding of a high current amp

thylantyr
07-12-2006, 09:17 PM
correct me if im wrong, but arent all the responses about what a high current amplifier incorrect... i think even yours are thyl...

HC amps create the power by putting out more current than normal amplifiers. power = current x voltage. for instance, whereas a regular amp might produce 1000w by creating 75V and 1.333amps of current. a HC amp could produce 1000w by creating 40V and 25 amps of current.

75V & 1.33 amp = ~100w not 1000w. Should be 13A :)

In this case, you get 1000w when the load is 5.8 ohms.

In the HC example, you need a 1.6 ohm load to get 1000w.

In both cases, the result is 1000w but have different load requirements
which doesn't make it a apples to apples comparison. To make
the comparison apples to apples, place that 5.8 ohm load on the HC amp, now
you get 6.8A, lower current than 13A from the HC {75V} example, and less watts
which means that the word HC is moot, a marketing term not engineering
term. It's not a bad term to use in the marketing departments, but it's
best to understand what it really means which is nothing.

Only the wattage desired into desired load is important.

These exercises are too stimulate thinking vs. word on the street says...

Here's another example. Suppose you are an alien from Mars where
the speaker loads are 80 ohms, not the typical 8 ohm. The amplifier design
will be different, draw less current. Later, you, the alien, come to Earth
to design 8 ohm load amplifiers, to you those could be marketed at HC
in relation to the Mars amp. But we don't call ordinary amps HC if they drive
8 ohms, but the alien would. /lol

Why would 1 ohm loads be called HC if the aliens on Jupiter drive 0.1 ohm loads
in their systems? To them it's low current. /lol

/comedy

thylantyr
07-14-2006, 09:34 PM
The debate is pretty sweet there, cartman character brings spice to the topic.
So much comedy..............

y O U K NoW yOu LiKe It.

lol

squeak9798
07-14-2006, 10:01 PM

A HC amplifier is (generally) nothing more than an amplifier that is capable of driving lower impedance loads since, by way of Ohm's Law, as the load the amplifier is driving decreases the current output increases and the voltage output decreases.

Take two amps; one makes 1000w @ 1ohm, the other makes 1000w @ 4ohm.

sqrt(1000*1) = 31.6V
1000/31.6 = 31.6A

So, the 1000w amp at 1ohm will have an output of 31.6V and 31.6A.

sqrt(1000*4) = 63.2V
1000/63.2 = 15.8A

The 1000w @ 4ohm amp will have 63.2V, but only 15.8A of current.

Same total power output. But, comparatively, the amplifier capable of 1000w @ 1ohm has "higher current" output. And that's simply how the physics work, not because it's special as some marketeers wish to make it sound.

But since the level at which an amplifier is to be considered "high current" in output is not defined...it's even more of a useless term.

JimJ
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Here's another example. Suppose you are an alien from Mars where
the speaker loads are 80 ohms, not the typical 8 ohm. The amplifier design
will be different, draw less current. Later, you, the alien, come to Earth
to design 8 ohm load amplifiers, to you those could be marketed at HC
in relation to the Mars amp. But we don't call ordinary amps HC if they drive
8 ohms, but the alien would. /lol

Why would 1 ohm loads be called HC if the aliens on Jupiter drive 0.1 ohm loads
in their systems? To them it's low current. /lol

I'm thinking of the characteristically high load impedances favored by OTL amps - not uncommon to see 16 ohms as a recommended load. Hell, I think Lowther sells more horns at 16 ohms than they do eight :D

But it goes back to what I was saying, about that forum and apparently thinking everyone has speakers that are 86dB/w @ 8 ohms :)

djman37
07-14-2006, 10:58 PM
they probably don't get quad .7 VC's either. Why in the WORLD would you need that!?
pics and tales of a 20.1 running @ .08 will be greeted like a 3-headed dog.

zachzchw
07-15-2006, 12:04 AM

:clap:
What's it say about our forum when members take the time to organize "attacks" on other forums? :rolleyes:

thylantyr
07-15-2006, 02:49 AM
Same total power output. But, comparatively, the amplifier capable of 1000w @ 1ohm has "higher current" output. And that's simply how the physics work, not because it's special as some marketeers wish to make it sound.

But since the level at which an amplifier is to be considered "high current" in output is not defined...it's even more of a useless term.

Yes the term in only valid when there are two comparibles, but standalone
the term is useless. Overal, it's more useless than good, because we don't
care if the amplifier has a high current label if we know it's specs.