PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Camaro,2-10" Type-R's and a box

remltr
07-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, just had a quick question. To those of you who own a camaro,you know that space is at a premium. I have 2 SWR-1042's that I am putting into the car. Alpine recommends a .65ft^3 per sub in a sealed enclosure. I am going to attempt to build it myself. Now the questions...
1: Do the speakers need to be divided into individual chambers or can I build a box with a gross volume of 1.3ft^3 and put them both in?
2: If my enclosure volume is off +/- .3ft^3 will this effect the sound much?
3: I'm gonna get some help. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a carpenter. But if I can't build it, does anyone make an enclosure made for the well in the back of a camaro with close to these specs? I have seen a few but either they were too small ft^3 wise or mounting depth was too shallow. 1042's require 6.8"
Thanks for reading:)

Rc 415
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/car-audio/341086-subenclosures-com-done-now.html

remltr
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
mounting depth seems too shallow. "easily modified to 6" I need,according to Alpine 6.8" Thanks for the link though! Anybody?

remltr
07-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I just need to know:
1: Can the ft^3 be off and not affect SQ drastically.
2: Do the speakers need to be seperated or can they share the 1.3ft^3. Which is better for SQ?

dkmesa
07-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't believe they need separate chambers and the volume being off just a bit isn't a problem. I have my 2 Type Rs in 2 .65 cube enclosures. It sounds great but sounded better in .9 cubes each. Also they recommend less than 1 cube I believe for the 12" and it sounds awesome in 1.3 cubes so you might want to consider going slightly larger if space will allow.

remltr
07-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I found a company called Audio Enhancers that make 2 versions of a box for my car. One box has .89ft^3 per sub and the other has 1.27ft^3 per sub. I spoke with a rep from the company and the larger box has some room for porting. These #'s are pretty close to what Alpine recommends. Now, sealed or ported? I've read that these speakers are designed for a sealed enclosure. Any suggestions either way?

Spud2388
07-14-2006, 08:28 PM
I found a company called Audio Enhancers that make 2 versions of a box for my car. One box has .89ft^3 per sub and the other has 1.27ft^3 per sub. I spoke with a rep from the company and the larger box has some room for porting. These #'s are pretty close to what Alpine recommends. Now, sealed or ported? I've read that these speakers are designed for a sealed enclosure. Any suggestions either way?
From everyhting I have read, type r's love to be ported, not seal. Not saying they will sound bad sealed, but I've heard they come alive ported. I know the 12's like around 2-2.5 cuft per woofer, but I'm not sure about the 10's. My guess would be a little less, tuned to 30-32 hz.