PDA

View Full Version : 2 way & 3 way dashboard speaker help

Yevi
07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I have a vw jetta mk5 currently i have 3 way front doors, and 2 way rear doors.

I am going with Rainbow SLC's, and i would like to install a midrange 4 inch speaker in the huge useless went

http://enfigpix.com/pics/tech_vw_mk5_icelink_02.jpg

so front driver's door will have a 2 way component, woofer, and tweeter

and passenger front door will have 3 way, and the midrange will be placed in the middle of the dash

would that set up work. i would liketo get an even sound, but i bet you can alway tune a cross-over

Yev

Yevi
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
here is another pic,

http://enfigpix.com/pics/tech_vw_mk5_icelink_05.jpg

it will definately fit there

helotaxi
07-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Unless you have something to process the center channel, it will sound like crap. If you try to put 2 in there, one for each channel, it would be even worse as the stereo image will go to hell.

Yevi
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Unless you have something to process the center channel, it will sound like crap. If you try to put 2 in there, one for each channel, it would be even worse as the stereo image will go to hell.

that's what i thought

my audio will be wired out of sound blaster audigy car, and it had 3 outputs, FRONT/REAR/MIDDLE (subwoofer)

i might split the middle, and instal a computer speaker there, it will be wired parallel to the mono amp, and sub

Yev

helotaxi
07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
The sub output is probably crossed over, and even if it isn't, it is simply a mono signal and not a derived center channel. A center channel should only have signal that is common to both the left and right channel and will not contain signal information that is unique to either channel. A straight mono signal is a summation of the left and right channels and contains all signal information regardless of whether it is present in one or both channels. It will still have the effect of ruining the imaging of the system.

Just properly set up the right and left channels and don't worry about a cdnter channel.

Yevi
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
what about this schema, it should work
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/ppgt94/pc-audio-5.jpg

azbass
07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
that would probably sound bad and the mini plugs are gona give you a problem. do it right and get a 5.1 processor for a car. not a computer.

Yevi
07-11-2006, 11:28 PM
it worls great, i was just thinking of getting a middle dash speker, i can't tell the difference, vs any alpine or kenwood headunit.

computer has much more processing power, and 24 bit audio is probably the best you can get since majority of cd's are written in 16 bit anyway

I have a pc in my car for more than a year now, i am not gonna settle for anything else.

Yev

squeak9798
07-11-2006, 11:55 PM
x10 to everything helotaxi said.

Not a good idea unless you had a dedicated center channel output, which you don't. Even then, I'm not a big fan of center channels for anything other than 5.1 surround. Very hard to get the level matching/etc correct so that the center channel isn't overbearing and overpowering the L & R main speakers....which will likewise ruin the imaging.

All in all.....you are really better off with properly installed left and right "mains" and nix the center channel idea.

T3mpest
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM
yeah, center channels in cars were only good in the days before kicks became popular. Unless properly setup they'll kill any stage width, while sometimes improving the center strength.

bballrrt06
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
if you have to have a computer, get a sound card with optical out, and run that to a seperate car 5.1 processor unit. but even then it will just be simulated unless you're watching movies or use DVD Audio or SACDs.

Yevi
07-12-2006, 08:55 PM
thanks for your replies guys, i was thinking about optical out, but it seems like i will be installing computer speakers in the car which i wouldn't.

what about even 5 channel amplifiers, i believe alpine had was 5x50 watt rms, can i hook that up to the 5th channel. my sub will be on separate mono amp,

Yev

helotaxi
07-13-2006, 02:12 AM
Still not processed. Unless you get something that derives a center channel that is meant to be a center channel, you will only dork it up.