PDA

View Full Version : Time For New Set Up...

Alpine CDA-9815
07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Basically I'm getting tired of my set up. I have a pretty big custom grind cam, full exhaust, FAST LSX intake manifold, Volant CAI, Meziere EWP, Yank SS 3600 converter, TransGo shift kit, tranny cooler, yada yada.

The drivability of the car with the big cam was fun but now is just getting annoying. The car has to idle high (1100-1200 RPMs) so it will not stall. Which makes it a mother to drive in traffic. Also it surges, etc. Which I'm tired of, I want to get drivability back. Also it seems I need to swap my PRC dual valve springs for Comp 921's since the PRC's have been having valve float issues in other cars with the same cam.

Anyways I have a few options. My bud's shop that sells the cam is willing to give me their cam a step down from the one I have and install it for free for their cam back. The smaller cam will pretty much drive like stock besides a nasty lope at idle :naughty:. I will lose around 15RWHP but gain around 10RWTQ and have a much nicer power curve. Of couse it will also stop making power 500 RPMs lower than the cam I have now. To make up for the power loss (since I will not be happy with a smaller cam) I will add milled AFR 225 heads and Comp 921 springs. Looking to make 445-450RWHP with this set up. I will also add a 150 shot of nitrous on top of it later.

My other option is the shop is willing to give me a Procharger at cost, afor free they will also throw in a custom grind blower cam in exchange for their cam and a boosta pump for the extra fuel needed. This set up has been proven to make 500RWHP on every car they have done it to. If I want more power for $200 extra they will throw in a set of 60lb injectors to make 550RWHP.

If I want to go with the ATI set up I need to get a built tranny first. If I go with the head/cam combo I could just do that now and get a built tranny befor I add some nitrous. The H/C combo will be $2000 less right now... though as I said later I will add nitrous.

The H/C combo is looking good now since it's cheaper. Though the ATI set up is a smoking deal. This will be a few months off so I can save up some more $$$, but I'm for sure done with the big cam... I have a brand new car that's a PITA to drive and I'm sick of it.

Beat_Dominator
07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Tires are expensive..... :)

Alpine CDA-9815
07-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Tires are expensive..... :)
Yes I also need a new set of those. I can't run street tires since it's like driving on ice. My BFG DR's are as bald as a set of slicks right now... at $350 a set and only getting 4000-7000 miles (depending how often I go to the track) it gets expensive.

Beat_Dominator
07-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Well it depends on who you are, but much over 450hp to the wheels and you're not going to have a very useful daily driver.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Well it depends on who you are, but much over 450hp to the wheels and you're not going to have a very useful daily driver.
Depends on the set up IMO.

bumpin_blazer
07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
**** dude you gotta be single;), that or make a **** load of money to make the misses ok with all the $ into a car lol. i'd go for the n/a setup personally as i feel a n/a monster is more impressive but that's just me. to me a supercharger/turbo/nitrous is the very last thing i'd ever put on my engine if it came n/a from the factory. no wonder you can take stock c6's in your car if you're getting 450rwhp right now that's about 100 over stock isn't it.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
**** dude you gotta be single;), that or make a **** load of money to make the misses ok with all the $ into a car lol. i'd go for the n/a setup personally as i feel a n/a monster is more impressive but that's just me. to me a supercharger/turbo/nitrous is the very last thing i'd ever put on my engine if it came n/a from the factory. no wonder you can take stock c6's in your car if you're getting 450rwhp right now that's about 100 over stock isn't it.
Stock with 728 miles the car dynoed 330RWHP and 325RWTQ. Right now I would say the car is making right around 430RWHP and 395-400RWTQ. I have not had it dynoed since I've put in the cam, exhaust and converter (404 RWHP $ 376RWTQ). Since then I've added the FAST LSX and EWP which should be good for 25-30RWHP.

Also yes I'm single. Right now I can care less about *****es seeing as how all they like to do is screw you over. Also I will never get married and I hate kids :)

I make OK money. I've been saving for 6-7 months now to have a nice size downpayment for when I refinance the car in a few months to help knock down my monlty payment so I can get a house just for myself (I'm not much of a people person and like to be alone 90% of the time). So this will be taking most or all of that money. Though since houses are dropping in price it may not be an issue. Getting drivability back in the car without having to sacrifice power is more important to me right now.

bumpin_blazer
07-10-2006, 11:22 PM
property value is only going up here:(. making it harder for me to afford building my house which is still 16-24 months from being near done. either way that's a sweet ride man i was looking into a slightly used GTO as my next option but i want better MPG.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-11-2006, 02:13 AM
property value is only going up here:(. making it harder for me to afford building my house which is still 16-24 months from being near done. either way that's a sweet ride man i was looking into a slightly used GTO as my next option but i want better MPG.
I got 17-18MPG in town and 22-24 on the highway when the car was stock. For a 400HP/TQ car that weighs 2800lbs that's pretty good IMO.

Houses here just went though their big boom so to say. Now you about can't sell a house for the life of ya. I almost bought one about 2 months ago. $213k for a 1400sqft condo :furious:. Now I'm happy I didn't.

bumpin_blazer
07-12-2006, 12:27 AM
austin's been in a boom for like 12 years now and it slowed 3 years ago for a year but is again booming. my parents house went up like 95k in value last year.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm gonna look into doing this alittle more... a turbo set up on an auto would be way better than an ATI or H/C combo :)

http://doughy.theddrzone.com/ttonstand.jpg

bumpin_blazer
07-12-2006, 06:46 PM
a TT ls2 is ****ing unfair lol.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
a TT ls2 is ****ing unfair lol.
It looks sick but I'm not sure on that exact set up. The oiling system is done very well. Though the turbos are not the best of quality. Also I would need another $1500 in fuel and parts to safely run it up to only 500RWHP.

For a turbo now my best bet is to get a custom STS set up. We can fix the oil problems they have and even alittle turbo lag. It will be in my price range I'm looking at and I can also sell off my headers, exhaust and FAST LSX intake manifold. I can safely make 550RWHP and 600RWTQ for $5000. :)

Of course the drawback with the STS is I will really miss the sound of my long tubes and Magnaflow catback :crap:. Though of course the more quiet, less agressive sound of the STS will help my GTO sleeper image :)

Or it may be worth saving up and seeing what kind of custom turbo system my bud is having made. He is planning on getting 650RWHP and 650-700RWTQ out of it.

Either way I think I made up my mind on a turbo. Sorry to say a turbo on an auto car with 500RWHP will hand a supercharged car with 550+RWHP it's *** IMO :)

Storm90
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Well dang if you complaining about your car. Just give it to me i'll be more than HAPPY to have your car. Like some people say "A GTO is a Grand Prix on steriods".

bumpin_blazer
07-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Well dang if you complaining about your car. Just give it to me i'll be more than HAPPY to have your car. Like some people say "A GTO is a Grand Prix on steriods".

those people have issues though.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Like some people say "A GTO is a Grand Prix on steriods".
The only thing that looks alike is the front end, other than that it's a totally different car. :)

Alpine CDA-9815
07-17-2006, 12:09 PM
What a PITA this is.

Seems that the Prochargers are having a few problems. First off the intercooler is a POS... though from what I have heard they have a 1" thicker intercooler that they got out in 2005 that is much better. Also the 6 rib belt system they have slips. It seems you need to upgrade to the 8 rib one for it to be more reilable. Also there have been a few that says the supercharger leaks.

EDIT: It seems that the STS kit for the GTO comes with the new intercooler and the 8 rib system :)

The STS system will sound raspy as hell and like poo with no mufflers/cats. I guess I could add cats to help mellow it out though that will add on more time for the turbo to get heated up and spool. Other than that it's a good system.

On the other hand my tuner really wants me to go with this new $5000 twin turbo set up, along with some of my buds that have researched it. It's a well designed system, though the turbos and BOV's could be of better quality. Not saying they are not reliable, they will work fine but it would just be a good piece of mind to use better parts IMO. On top of that the system does not come with fuel. So I will also have to buy a Walbro fuel pump, maybe even a boosta pump and 42lb or 60lb injectors. Then I will also need a boost controller, etc. So add on another $1000-1500. Though the TT kit would be awesome. It will have little to no lag and make great torque/horse power. It may be worth spending the extra $2-2.5k for.

Here is the GenTT kit... http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=53767

Either system will make great power. It's just what kind of BS I want with whatever I go and how much I want to spend. Going forced induction is a lot more complicated than I thought. :(