PDA

View Full Version : Speaker to play 60HZ to 2kHz

Oak244
07-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Before I make the plunge am I right thinking the SEAS Nextel W18NX would be the best speaker to play the 63Hz to 2kHz range? My Sub is a 15" Stereo Integrity and my tweeters are BG Neo3's. I want to bridge the gap with a single driver. I listen to mostly music like Dave Matthews Band, Norah Jones, Damien Rice ect. If there is a better suited or sounding speaker please let me know. Thanks

GordonW
07-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Whatever you choose, look for a high X-max ("linear excursion"). Something in excess of 5mm in EACH DIRECTION. That'll help you do 63 Hz, without distortion. Since it's only gotta go to 2KHz, the heavier voice coil won't hurt, in most cases...

The SEAS W18NX should work fine. They list excursion as 14mm "peak-to-peak" which equates to 7mm X-max (7mm in each travel direction). My only concern (and it's not going to be a problem, if you enclose it well) is that the Qts is only .34... that might lose control, in an IB situation with a lot of power...

Regards,
Gordon.

Oak244
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Well I am going to build a custom Fiberglass enclosure which I had planed to leave open to enter the door, but if needed I could make sealed enclosures that would mount to the door.

GordonW
07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Make the enclosure so that you can add in a back panel or rear enclosure and seal it up, if needed... try it IB, and if it doesn't handle it, add the rear part of the enclosure.

Regards,
Gordon.