PDA

View Full Version : onkyo

limitkid7
07-08-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm stuck b/w the tx sr573 and the tx sr504

any suggestions on which one I should go with for 7.1 home theater set-up?

adio
07-09-2006, 04:34 AM
I'm stuck b/w the tx sr573 and the tx sr504

any suggestions on which one I should go with for 7.1 home theater set-up?
this

joetama
07-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh Oh I know can I pick neither...... Booo Onkyo Boooo.....

Are you sure you want to go with Onkyo??? Really sure????

If so I would have to agree with adio.....

adam71
07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Denon would be a better set up for your money.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-49h04HUVH6d/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=033AV2106B

joetama
07-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Yamaha RX-V series is the way to go..... Seriously.....

adio
07-09-2006, 11:22 PM
i have to agree with B&W on this

adam71
07-09-2006, 11:51 PM
How is Yamaha any better than Denon or Onkyo??

I'm ready for your explanation.;)

joetama
07-09-2006, 11:57 PM
It's like explaning why coke is better than pepsi.... I'm not going to waist my time when you won't believe what I have to say. I personally like the RX-V series much more than any Denon and way better than any Onkyo......

JimJ
07-10-2006, 12:02 AM
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

:)

ravendarat
07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, so I have sold denon, onkyo, yamaha, Harmon/Kardon, Marantz and a few other brands and what i can safely say in the end is LISTEN to them. Some people will prefer the sound to of one over the other. I have listened to many of these different amps on the same pair of speakers and while I might like one amp I have other people I work with like other ones. Its a personal preference thing, just like coke and pepsi. There are some processor differences as well as hook-up and system guide changes from one to the other, but most have similar features. One thing I can think of off the top of my head that may make someone buy a Yamaha over another brand is the Silent Cinema feature. If you are someone who uses headphones than this is a fantastic feature that really needs to be heard to appreciate. With that said my personal choice between the brands I listed is Onkyo however I havent sold them in several years so I am unsure if the newer stuff is still as good as it was 5 years ago.

adam71
07-10-2006, 01:30 AM
It's like explaning why coke is better than pepsi.... I'm not going to waist my time when you won't believe what I have to say. I personally like the RX-V series much more than any Denon and way better than any Onkyo......

Take it easy man. I wasn't trying to spark an argument with you, but just trying to get the jist of what you see in Yamaha over other brands. I'm open to other brands and mostly wanted your input. I've always had great luck with Denon products and have never owned any Yamaha products, pretty much because the local hi-fi shops in my area do not carry it. My local shop usually carries Elite, Denon, Classe, Rotel, Sony, Meridian......etc. to name a few. :D

adio
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
:) yeah BW, take it fuqin easy

heyman421
07-10-2006, 01:36 PM
i've owned pioneer, onkyo, and yamaha, and i honestly liked the yamaha the least....

they all have very unique sounds, the onkyo's the warmest sounding, not great for music, but movies were terrific...

yamaha was too bright sounding for me, i know that's what most people like about them, they 'sound' the most high-def, but i personally ENJOY midbass.....

the pioneer was the best combo, i would say it was the most neutral sounding, sounded, well, like most stereos...... Best D/A processor of the slew, tho..

I WILL say, however, that i enjoyed listening to the yamaha the best of the 3 on headphones..... Their headphone preamps are 2nd to none, and the simulated surround (forget the actual name for it) on the headphones is very impressive....

The yamaha and the pioneer also both had self-balancing speaker levels, with a microphoe you placed near your seat, which was a neat feature....

joetama
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Well here is the thing for me lots of midbass = mud... Mud ≠Clarity

I enjoy clarity and precision. To my ears the Onkyo and Denon sound very muddy. Which are a NO GO for me. The Pioneer Elite are pretty good, but I have heard lots of receivers and for this money I think the RX-V Series is the way to go.

The "self-balancing" and tuning feature is about worthless however. It does make it flat, but I don't want what an EQ to tell me what sounds good because it's "flat".

I'm up in the air on my next receiver, in between Rotel, B&K, and Outlaw...

Oh and BTW, sorry about the tone. It just seems that everytime something like this comes up someone wants to fight.....

adam71
07-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Well here is the thing for me lots of midbass = mud... Mud ≠Clarity

I enjoy clarity and precision. To my ears the Onkyo and Denon sound very muddy. Which are a NO GO for me. The Pioneer Elite are pretty good, but I have heard lots of receivers and for this money I think the RX-V Series is the way to go.

I'm up in the air on my next receiver, in between Rotel, B&K, and Outlaw...

I never heard any muddy sound on ANY of the Denon receivers I've owned but everyone's ears hear different things. I guess it depends on what you're used to. If someone has midbass heavy speakers and their receiver puts out alot of midbass they will NOT like the result. Vice Versa, if someone has speakers that are light on the low end and they get a receiver (Yamaha for instance) that is light on the midbass then that could sound bad to someone else. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can get alot of different sounds from different brands but you don't really know what you're getting til you try it with YOUR speakers in YOUR listening room in which they'll be used.

As far as receivers are concerned: I don't think I'll be buying a new receiver next time around. I think I'm going to wait til the technology gets settled down again like I did with my current system. Then go out and buy a nice Preamp Processor and use my Denon receiver's preamp inputs and use it as a power amp or buy a multi-channel amp and use the Denon as a Pre/pro. Not really sure yet but the Outlaw stuff looks nice. If you have any suggestions on which I should upgrade first let me know.;)

Oh and BTW, sorry about the tone. It just seems that everytime something like this comes up someone wants to fight.....

You don't have to be sorry man its cool and I completely understand your initial response. There are times when I do start things like that but its usually in a thread that is based on politics where I get argumentive. So in retrospect, I apologize first.:D

heyman421
07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Only reason i say i appreciate the warm tone of the onkyo, is most preassembled speakers have naturally exaggerated highs, and with any 5.1+ d/a your subwoofer can easily exaggerate lows, it seems most speakers lack in midbass, and it's the hardest range to 'enhance' if it isn't already there.

No receiver i've ever owned has had the sort of tweakability as far as eq that i expect from something i listen to music on, tho. For movies, recievers are fine, but for listening to music, a component preamp/amp combo will be a necessity of mine, and when listening to a movie, i favor a flat response and realism over artificial 'clarity'

ravendarat
07-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Rotel is great stuff as well. As well as the Carver stuff is nice if not simple

adio
07-11-2006, 02:05 AM
i was just playin........... i wanted to get i on it too, thats all