PDA

View Full Version : coaxials or components

OoBALLERoO
07-08-2006, 03:56 AM
hey i dont want to turn this into a vs thread or anything.. i was just wondering if components generally get louder than coaxials.. or are they both capable of the same with just the components having seperate crossovers and seperate tweeters

Prowler573
07-08-2006, 05:39 AM
All else being equal (appropriate power, adequate install, etc etc) not only do components get louder but they simply sound better. Imaging (again, assuming adequate install) is leagues better, stereo separation is generally better, yada yada yada.

There are exceptions to every rule, mind you, but as a rule of thumb components are the way to go (if you can use them to their potential) for a myriad of reasons.

MBrock4u
07-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Agree. Alot of your componants can handle more rms thus they will be louder. Unfortunnatly, componants are usually quite a bit more expensive. I run ifinity kappa's coax for front stage and they scream. But componants do have better imaging.

ItalynStylion
07-08-2006, 01:21 PM
There is also something to be said about not having the tweeters in the middle of a sound storm. On a coaxial the tweeter can be distorted a little by the woofer thats pounding away directly behind it...

Gary S
07-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Components can get louder because they can almost always handle more power. More watts equals more SPL, everything else being equal (which it never is, LOL!)

For one thing, there is a lot more room in the separate crossover box that comes with them for a complimentary crossover that can handle that power. Most coaxes have a very crude tweeter crossover (a single capacitor) that is more of a tweeter protector than a real crossover, and is not even a very good tweeter protector when it comes down to it.

We have components in the $150.00 range that people are putting more than 300 watts to... try that with a Rockwood coax!

dustinr
07-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Components all the way.

ONLY buy coaxials if your on a low budget. I wish I had the money to upgrade my frontstage to components.

Prowler573
07-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Agree. A lot of your componants can handle more rms thus they will be louder. Unfortunnatly, componants are usually quite a bit more expensive. I run ifinity kappa's coax for front stage and they scream. But componants do have better imaging.
That being stated as a broadsweeping generalization is incorrect. There are drivers out there that are considerably more efficient than others in the same class and easily have the potential to be louder off of less wattage. :fyi:

We have components in the $150.00 range that people are putting more than 300 watts to... try that with a Rockwood coax!Personally, I would not try anything with a Rockwood product, period. :) (possible exception being a wall socket vid ;))

bri487
07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
i have heard some coaxials get louder than some components, but given that both are good quality, the components will kick a coaxials *** in both sound quality and loudness.

squeak9798
07-09-2006, 07:02 PM
hey i dont want to turn this into a vs thread or anything.. i was just wondering if components generally get louder than coaxials.. or are they both capable of the same with just the components having seperate crossovers and seperate tweeters

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=767529&postcount=1