PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I currently have a fart can on my car which I thought was cool the day I bought it off ebay for $30 :rolleyes:

Well after having it for a year or so, I hate the sound of it, it's too loud and looks ghey.
I thought it was kinda funny that I let my dad drive it to work today, and he said he pulled up at the gas station, and some man about his age looked at him and laughed and took off. :p:

well anyways, I am lookin for a muffler or cat back that will have a nice deep sound, but not loud and ricey. I have about $250 for it, so, it's a kinda tight budget. Any suggestions?
I was lookin at a magnaflow muffler, looked pretty good, kinda stock except for the stainless steel and bigger tip.

squeak12
07-07-2006, 02:54 PM
If you have anything less than a V6, its not going to be very deep regardless of what muffler it is, and V6s still arent that deep.

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I know that, I just want it to sound deep for a 4 cylinder.
My muffler now is pretty deep at low rpm's and sounds good, but when I get to the higher rpm's it sounds like ****
Maybe a CAI would help, but I still want a better lookin muffler rather than a fart can

squeak12
07-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Well thats how all cars are going to be. Once you hit the higher RPMs it gets a higher tone and the engine size shines. CAI will more than likely just irritate you when you can hear it sucking air in.

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Well thats how all cars are going to be. Once you hit the higher RPMs it gets a higher tone and the engine size shines. CAI will more than likely just irritate you when you can hear it sucking air in.
I just need suggestions for mufflers that will sound better than a straight through can.

bri487
07-07-2006, 03:07 PM

a good intake and a good installation will have to air leaks that cause noise. mine has zero noise.

Astyl
07-07-2006, 03:32 PM
You could try a Flowmaster 40 series, thats the deepest most "aggressive" muffler.. but still on a 4 cylinder its not gonna do much for you

addisdar
07-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Look at Magnaflow.

93 saturn sl2
07-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I had just a magnaflow street series muffler on my car and it sounded like **** and it was LOUD, then I put a 30" resonator after the cat and it quieted(spelling) it down and now its not that bad.

Oh and I just didnt put a muffler on the stock exhaust pipes, I had a 2.25" cat back made at a local exhaust shop.

93 saturn sl2
07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Heres a video of how it sounded.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y3LHrAKkE0Y

SkwurlyFab
07-07-2006, 03:45 PM
**** ricers. Look into Spin Tech if you want a decent muffler for a 4 banger. And don't expect to go too low at all no matter what you get cuz you're 4 cylinders short of that.

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
what size engine does the saturn have?

SyKo13
07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Straight Pipes FTMFW!!!

rick22
07-07-2006, 03:55 PM
yeah the magnaflow which is what i have will be deep but it still will be loud as balls so i suggest just getting a regular stock muffler.

LoudCrownVic
07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
One thing you can do is just put in a y pipe and put two mufflers on the back... My friend did this with his celica and it looks and sounds awesome. It really opens up the flow while cutting the noise in half. It's the best import exhaust I've ever heard. He spent $180 on the whole project. It sounds like he is driving a sport bike around town instead of an elephant sized bumblebee.

93 saturn sl2
07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
what size engine does the saturn have?

1.9L 4 cyl

Heres a newer video. Its with the front 2 windows down. I think that you hear the engine more then the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SFFq4o0v8M

dbhittin
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
i have a 4banger and its deep and loud.. not ricey

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
seems like the magnaflow sounds hella better than mine. I will record how mine sounds later tonight when I get off work. Sounds torrible

Trey803
07-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I got a supercharged V8 should i get bassani cat-back or flowmaster 40 series????

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
One thing you can do is just put in a y pipe and put two mufflers on the back... My friend did this with his celica and it looks and sounds awesome. It really opens up the flow while cutting the noise in half. It's the best import exhaust I've ever heard. He spent $180 on the whole project. It sounds like he is driving a sport bike around town instead of an elephant sized bumblebee.
Thats not a bad idea either. That's prolly what I will do once I get a new rear bumber that will have slots for two exhausts.
Hmmm dual exhaust 4 banger. I will add straight pipes from the header to teh Y. I will put some cheap oval shaped exhausts to keep from having the ricer look.

SyKo13
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
super 40 FTW

93 saturn sl2
07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Putting dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder is a waste of money. It doesnt help performance and it just adds weight that you dont need.

DubbDesigns
07-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Putting dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder is a waste of money. It doesnt help performance and it just adds weight that you dont need.
I know it doesn't help performance wise, but it might quite it down some, and add a unique look. Prolly be more work than it's worth tho. I would have to do some measurements to see tho.

bri487
07-07-2006, 05:37 PM
You could try a Flowmaster 40 series, thats the deepest most "aggressive" muffler.. but still on a 4 cylinder its not gonna do much for you

the super 40 is the deepest muffler. the regular 40 series sounds a little throatier though.

dkmesa
07-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't know about Altima's but the true dual catback for my Z was $850...good luck with 250

Camaro_man
07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Um. Deep and loud compared to what? Its not possible to make a 4cyl sound like an 8, not even a 6. When you hear a 4cyl, you know its a 4cyl, same thing when u hear a 6 or an 8 with aftermarket exhaust. My Camaro has been mistaken for a V8 more than once at idle, but as soon as I get past 3500 rpm i'm not fooling anyone.

My friend has a Magnaflow on his 87 Supra. IMO, it sounds like **** but so does every other ricer I hear. It's not as bad as some stuff i've heard though so...meh I dunno.

And btw a CAI may help. When I put one on my car it made it make a deep gurgeling noise from all the air its sucking in and it sounds kinda mean.

Props on wanting to ditch the fart connon though.

MikeyB
07-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I put a cat-back on my Sonoma with the 4 banger, and gutted the cat with a dynomax muffler, it sounded about the deepest a 4 banger probably could.

DubbDesigns
07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
The only catbacks I can find for my alty that are relatively cheap are the ones on ebay that are really cheap and have a huge *** fart cannon on the end.
I want something that is oval, and looks kinda stock, but sounds sporty, not so much deep, but deeper than what I got. I guess the sound Iam going for is a ricey sound, but a good rice sound if that is possible.
I was lookin at a Greddy catback for my car, has the oval shapped muffler and straighter pipes, I think it was going for around $450.
See, how much I will have for my muffler depends on how much my site sells for. Yes, I am selling my site, I am desperate to fix up my car.
I put my site on ebay, and it has like 2 watchers and 4 days left and the starting bid is $200, so I am sure I will prolly get $250, if not more.

DubbDesigns
07-08-2006, 12:41 AM
I put a cat-back on my Sonoma with the 4 banger, and gutted the cat with a dynomax muffler, it sounded about the deepest a 4 banger probably could.
what size engine is that?

Astyl
07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Flowmaster Super 40 FTW, its what i have on mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YruH1KvvuIs

Slammed
07-08-2006, 12:48 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169555

one of the quietest mufflers that OBX makes

very similar to the Apex-i WS

its deep sounding :)

DubbDesigns
07-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Flowmaster Super 40 FTW, its what i have on mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YruH1KvvuIs
sounds ******, but I think that would be a funny sound for a little foriegn car like mine :eyebrow: I guess I am not looking for deep sound afterall, I guess I am looking for a more sporty sound.:crap:

LoudCrownVic
07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Thats not a bad idea either. That's prolly what I will do once I get a new rear bumber that will have slots for two exhausts.
Hmmm dual exhaust 4 banger. I will add straight pipes from the header to teh Y. I will put some cheap oval shaped exhausts to keep from having the ricer look.

Seriously... YOu will not believe it until you hear it. He's had people who spent 3k on exhaust in tears with how cheap it was and how well it sounded and how good it looked.

MikeyB
07-08-2006, 02:18 PM
what size engine is that?

2.2L

JCivicHb
07-08-2006, 04:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Universal-Twin-Loop-Exhaust-Muffler-For-ALL-Cars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ010QQite mZ200003832179QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
get one of those maybe

DubbDesigns
07-09-2006, 02:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Universal-Twin-Loop-Exhaust-Muffler-For-ALL-Cars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ010QQite mZ200003832179QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
get one of those maybe
lawl. That looks teh funny.

Silver
07-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't know about Altima's but the true dual catback for my Z was $850...good luck with 250

You're a ******* mother****er. First of all he has a 4-cyl. He is looking for only a muffler...

Your Z is a 6. It is impossible to run a true dual setup from a 4cyl. Well not impossible, but very very unlikely.

I just had a y-pipe re-done and 2 mufflers welded for 120$.

STFU.

To the orig. poster. Do the y-pipe thing and buy some dynomax superflow mufflers. They are deep and mellow. Just what your looking for. Perhaps a magnaflow cat before a y-pipe. It will be a bit more than 250$. I wanna say 300-350 range.

Although I've never heard them on a 4-banger.

theCybe
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I read my *** off earlier today about Magnaflow.

(I picked one up on impulse buy - I'll probably take it back, I don't feel like paying somebody a hundred bucks to weld it on.)

Seems they're quieter than the Flowmasters, sound nice and purr below 3000RPM, but after that it's back to the raspy sound. I also read that the sound seems to deteriorate after awhile, as the deadening filler craps out eventually.

But, everybody was giving them rave reviews, and there was a lot of 'better than flowmaster' stuff going on.

DubbDesigns
07-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Hmmm, confused. I wanna kinda get away from the coffee can design, but seems Greddy is the only one who makes a decent looking catback for my car. I think they run around $450 or something, I will prolly go wit that.
But on ebay they have those Tsudo catbacks, even tho they have the coffee can style muffler, they do have straighter pipes with wut seems to be a resonator. Good thing about getting that is the fact that it's all bolt on, so I would have my stock bolt up for a stock muffler (since they cut it off installing my can )

Anyone heard about the Greddy SP2? I might just save up to buy that, since it's a good name brand, and looks pretty decent.

DubbDesigns
07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
wait, no, more like $550 for the Greddy

DubbDesigns
07-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Ahhh, I think I will just get a cheap muffler, or leave the one I have, until I can get my engine rebuilt.

BTW, about how much does an engine rebuild usually run?

Decipha
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
engine rebuilds aren't cheap... i'd recommend replacing the engine from a salvage yard or possibly dumping the car... up to you... if you going to spend 400+ on exhaust then another 2k+ on rebuild for 2400+ you can get a decent used car that probably doesn't need much work

DubbDesigns
07-11-2006, 11:58 PM
engine rebuilds aren't cheap... i'd recommend replacing the engine from a salvage yard or possibly dumping the car... up to you... if you going to spend 400+ on exhaust then another 2k+ on rebuild for 2400+ you can get a decent used car that probably doesn't need much work
2K for a rebuild? **** was hoping it would be under $1500 :crap:

DubbDesigns
07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Still looking for a universal muffler, it doesn't have to have a deep sound. Just has to look good and be decently quite, any suggestions?

DubbDesigns
07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I like the Apexi WS muffler, but don't like the $230 price tag for just the muffler, Iam fine with $150 or a little more, I want to ditch the cannister style muffler, and get something that actually muffles a little bit.

Astyl
07-15-2006, 09:07 AM
May i reiterate that the flowmaster super 40 i picked up was like 80 dollers, and heres a new better video of it i took today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sArnHkwybk

DubbDesigns
07-15-2006, 11:25 AM
May i reiterate that the flowmaster super 40 i picked up was like 80 dollers, and heres a new better video of it i took today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sArnHkwybk
Sounds awesome, but prolly not a great sound for a foreign car :crap:

I kinda want something that alrady has the tip and everything on it, wan't it to look kinda stock, just with a bigger outlet and like stainless steel, maybe a bit louder than stock too. Iam probably asking for too much tho. Might need to settle for two of thos qualities rather than all of them