PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio SR 6500

cam5860
07-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Has anyone heard these? How good are they? I hear there some of the best on the market right now.

Worlddre
07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
one of the sexiest set of comps ive ever had the pleasure of dealing with

Towncar
07-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Ive heard a set. They are a pretty good set of comps. Midbass wasnt strong enough for my needs, but they are definately a good set.

ngsm13
07-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Ive heard a set. They are a pretty good set of comps. Midbass wasnt strong enough for my needs, but they are definately a good set.

You are an imbicile then.

These components, are one of the best set of passive components I've heard. The mid-bass output is INSANE, and the midrange and high end are pleasing to the ears...

Great set of components...

nG

Towncar
07-06-2006, 01:20 AM
You are an imbicile then.

These components, are one of the best set of passive components I've heard. The mid-bass output is INSANE, and the midrange and high end are pleasing to the ears...

Great set of components...

nG

I wasnt trying to discredit them in any way. Ive heard them in ran off the jl 300/4, they werent what i expected as far as midbass is concerned, but the doors may not have been sealed properly... Other than that, they are a good set. Smooth laid back tweeter, good midrange. Definately a good set.

ngsm13
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I wasnt trying to discredit them in any way. Ive heard them in ran off the jl 300/4, they werent what i expected as far as midbass is concerned, but the doors may not have been sealed properly... Other than that, they are a good set. Smooth laid back tweeter, good midrange. Definately a good set.

No, you have GOT to be just plain stupid.

These, in my boss's car... factory locations...no deadening... it seriously sounded like there was a subwoofer in the vehicle. Literally the MOST and STRONGEST mid-bass... low end I have heard out of a set of components.

nG

Towncar
07-06-2006, 01:51 AM

These, in my boss's car... factory locations...no deadening... it seriously sounded like there was a subwoofer in the vehicle. Literally the MOST and STRONGEST mid-bass... low end I have heard out of a set of components.

nG

They are in my boss's car aswell. They are in the new honda accord, and they didnt have much midbass at all. Maybe they just dnt do well in that particular vehicle without deadning. You would agree with me if you heard his car forsure.

trippinontre
07-06-2006, 02:15 AM
I actually was listen to those SR's today,in a 350 z.And i also listen to the foacl k2 series,I thought the the focal got louder,but the polk was softer on the ears.Also much better clarity I think!Those are real nice comp tho

3.5Max6spd
07-06-2006, 08:57 AM
They are in my boss's car aswell. They are in the new honda accord, and they didnt have much midbass at all. Maybe they just dnt do well in that particular vehicle without deadning. You would agree with me if you heard his car forsure.

I didnt find their midbass to be so great myself. But indeed very natural, and neutral, and enough body- just the not the snap I'm accustomed out of other speakers (Seas Lotus, Platinums, Profi Phase Plug...) Tweeter is pretty nice as well.
Overall it is a very nice set, nothing wrong really one can say about the set other than maybe the price Polk listed them for.

Towncar
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Overall it is a very nice set, nothing wrong really one can say about the set other than maybe the price Polk listed them for.

Thats when employee discounts are your friend:)

chadillac3
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM

nG

I owned the set; used them with a Zapco DC350.2. They are very nice for a 2 way passive set. Tweeter is quite nice in fact. The mid can extend low, but just doesn't have THAT much output, and very little snap. Definitely not overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination. Midrange is good and smooth.

Gary S
07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
They are great speakers, very acurate... however, most people that have heard both prefer the Focal Kevlar series.

They can have above average bass, but are install dependent... also helps if you drop the crossover lower on the amp, say around 60hz.

FYI, the PPI DCX-650S components are clones that sell for half the price and offer similar performance.

ngsm13
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM
When I heard them installed, they were run near full range. With a higpass of about 30hz @24dB on the amp (Kicker SX).

Oh, and they were bi-amped ;).

But I liked them.

nG

skierxx5556
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Def one of the better comp sets on the market... If you really want to hear them and dont know anyone who has them go to tweeter they sell them...

denim
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
nothing but positive reviews, I think there is a good one on CA&E

OldOneEye
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I work for one of a handful of online retailers that sell those and I got a chance to hear these at a show and they are pretty **** good. If interested in buying a pair you probably want to buy authorized though because they won't honor the warranty supposedly.

Juan

cam5860
07-07-2006, 11:55 PM
What other component sets would you compare them to far as in sheer sound quality?

6spdcoupe
07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I listened/played with them a bit when my rep first showed them to me several months back. Overall pleasant sound, fair midbass, but with SRP of $750+ I just didnt feel it. If the price was cut a bit, they would be an excellent choice and I could see myself selling a fair amount of them.

Echo42987
07-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Why does everyone complain about the price? Most comps retail for like $1000 and the usually doesn't stop anyone?

Like the Z6's, 165K2P's, etc. Or is it because they don't live up to the price tag?

I am dyin' to get ahold of a pair cause I really want to mess around w/ them!

-Nick-

6spdcoupe
07-08-2006, 12:53 AM
I think that its the more 'generic' name thats associated with Polk.

OldOneEye
07-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Yeah, the same thing happens with the JL W7. People who haven't listened to it just go "well, it costs too much". What magainze writer bashes a Ferrari for costing to much? A Corvette Z06 might keep up, but it doesn't have that kind of mystique.

They are good speakers, they can leverage their home and aftermarket side the sway some other guys can't (although the examples you mention are perfect examples of home/car audio companies and the resulting synergy... same reason JL audio went into home audio).

Juan

Why does everyone complain about the price? Most comps retail for like $1000 and the usually doesn't stop anyone?

Like the Z6's, 165K2P's, etc. Or is it because they don't live up to the price tag?

I am dyin' to get ahold of a pair cause I really want to mess around w/ them!

-Nick-

6spdcoupe
07-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Its unfortunate for them, as I certainly see their potential, but the generic name steers alot of people away. If they were werent as mass marketed as they are, I think they would be alot more appealing regardless of price.

OldOneEye
07-08-2006, 01:08 AM
So more distribution equals less brand appeal? I would beg to differ. People think quality when they think of Polk Audio (in sort of a Toyota sort of way). I don't see a ton of advertising, but they are one of the top three brands for home audio speakers (with Bose and Klipsh I guess the other two from what I read).

I would run some of these in the car, they are very nice and if you can find a dealer who is ready to deal, they are worth the price of admission. Remember they have very limited unauthorized distribution so the percieved value (or high price if you look at it that way) is due to not having to many source to get it. Nobody says the same thing about Pioneer stuff for example because its available close to sheet.

Juan

Its unfortunate for them, as I certainly see their potential, but the generic name steers alot of people away. If they were werent as mass marketed as they are, I think they would be alot more appealing regardless of price.

6spdcoupe
07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
So more distribution equals less brand appeal? I would beg to differ. People think quality when they think of Polk Audio (in sort of a Toyota sort of way). I don't see a ton of advertising, but they are one of the top three brands for home audio speakers (with Bose and Klipsh I guess the other two from what I read).

I would run some of these in the car, they are very nice and if you can find a dealer who is ready to deal, they are worth the price of admission. Remember they have very limited unauthorized distribution so the percieved value (or high price if you look at it that way) is due to not having to many source to get it. Nobody says the same thing about Pioneer stuff for example because its available close to sheet.

Juan

Im not speaking about the masses, but more the "audiophiles" if you will. The people that tend to lean towards lines such as Zapco,Arc,Rainbow,ID,Dyn,Morel,etc.. these are the people that generally wouldnt go to Circuit City/Best buy for a new set of comps. For the general consumer, then yes the appeal is there, same reason why people are still buying entry level Sony HUs. They know the name as a branded household one thats been around for years.

Im well aware of sheet cost on them and I dont see my regular customers dropping the coin on em after the markup is entered. Although this is speaking of me,my area,my general customers. Not claiming this to be everywhere.

OldOneEye
07-08-2006, 01:26 AM
So what if a small dealer carries them? Does that make Polk Audio better at that point?

Unfortunately people aren't rational when it comes to the stuff they buy for their cars or the cars themselves. No offense to Zapco or Arc, but what kind of speaker design team do they have behind them? Polk Audio and Boston for example have a shitload of R & D because they spread it out over a ton of different proudct. Ditto Harman (JBL and Infinity car). Sure its "mass market" but when you have hundreds instead of handfuls of engineers, it is bound to trickle down.

At this point Polk is running a deal where if you buy them and don't like them you can send them back for a full refund (at the dealer level). How often do you see anyone taking product back without a gun to their heads?

Juan

Im not speaking about the masses, but more the "audiophiles" if you will. The people that tend to lean towards lines such as Zapco,Arc,Rainbow,ID,Dyn,Morel,etc.. these are the people that generally wouldnt go to Circuit City/Best buy for a new set of comps. For the general consumer, then yes the appeal is there, same reason why people are still buying entry level Sony HUs. They know the name as a branded household one thats been around for years.

Im well aware of sheet cost on them and I dont see my regular customers dropping the coin on em after the markup is entered. Although this is speaking of me,my area,my general customers. Not claiming this to be everywhere.

6spdcoupe
07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
So what if a small dealer carries them? Does that make Polk Audio better at that point?

Unfortunately people aren't rational when it comes to the stuff they buy for their cars or the cars themselves. No offense to Zapco or Arc, but what kind of speaker design team do they have behind them? Polk Audio and Boston for example have a shitload of R & D because they spread it out over a ton of different proudct. Ditto Harman (JBL and Infinity car). Sure its "mass market" but when you have hundreds instead of handfuls of engineers, it is bound to trickle down.

At this point Polk is running a deal where if you buy them and don't like them you can send them back for a full refund (at the dealer level). How often do you see anyone taking product back without a gun to their heads?

Juan

I thinking your taking this the wrong way. I understand your point completely. Im speaking of the viewpoint of my general customers, not of my own.

If a smaller dealer carries them? No, but rather if the smaller dealer carries them and the big box does not.

OldOneEye
07-08-2006, 01:36 AM
I get it. Its hard for people to think of the Corvette as the same brand as a Aveo. Polks downfall is distribution, which is why some smaller dealers won't touch them.

Juan

I thinking your taking this the wrong way. I understand your point completely. Im speaking of the viewpoint of my general customers, not of my own.

If a smaller dealer carries them? No, but rather if the smaller dealer carries them and the big box does not.

Ignatowski
07-08-2006, 05:50 AM

Juan

I would dissagree with this statement 100% , large companys R&D usually consists of Spy's that steal ideas and designs from little companies and call them their own....Morel (for example)is a small company that knows 10X more than the peeps at Infinity and or Polk on how to make great SQ,I could also use ten other smaller companies but for the sake of argument ill use Morel.
So it doesn't trickle down...IMO
Goodyear tire is also a great example of BIG THIEVES from smaller companies
As for the Polks being a great speaker,I haven't owned a set but they got excellent reviews at Car Audio Magazine.
I always picture in my head when a magazine gets a item for review and that product thats being reviewed is also made by an advertiser that advertises in the magazine (like Polk is) IF they did get a poor review they would risk loosing advertising dollars by that MFG and full page magazine ads cost as much as a mid size Beamer...Take that with a grain of salt

Echo42987
07-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I would dissagree with this statement 100% , large companys R&D usually consists of Spy's that steal ideas and designs from little companies and call them their own....Morel (for example)is a small company that knows 10X more than the peeps at Infinity and or Polk on how to make great SQ,I could also use ten other smaller companies but for the sake of argument ill use Morel.
As for the Polks being a great speaker,I haven't owned a set but they got excellent reviews at Car Audio Magazine.
I always picture in my head when a magazine gets a item for review and that product thats being reviewed is also made by an advertiser that advertises in the magazine (like Polk is) IF they did get a poor review they would risk loosing advertising dollars by that MFG and full page magazine ads cost as much as a mid size Beamer...Take that with a grain of salt

I don't think I nec. agree w/ this but I could be wrong. Why would a company w/ the brains of over a 100 workers steal the ideas of a company who only has the brain compacity of 10 workers!? Out of the 100 people I would imagine they would be able to come up w/ better ideas then the rest of the people!?

Just like Willly Wonka....They tried to steal the Biggest mans recipes for his choclate.....and they were all small brands.....It's all science ;)

I could see the smaller brands trying to creep up on the bigger brands....and I do get your point on the beemer statement. But it isn't nec. true.

-Nick-

Ignatowski
07-08-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't think I nec. agree w/ this but I could be wrong. Why would a company w/ the brains of over a 100 workers steal the ideas of a company who only has the brain compacity of 10 workers!? Out of the 100 people I would imagine they would be able to come up w/ better ideas then the rest of the people!?

Just like Willly Wonka....They tried to steal the Biggest mans recipes for his choclate.....and they were all small brands.....It's all science ;)

I could see the smaller brands trying to creep up on the bigger brands....and I do get your point on the beemer statement. But it isn't nec. true.

-Nick-

Happens every day and vice versa..Theres exceptions to every rule,but no way no how does Harmon or Bose know how to make a better speaker than Focal,Seas,Morel etc
All of companies in which are a fraction of the size of Harmon and or Bose...
Does Ferrari make a better car than Chevy,or Toyota?
Fvckin A right they do....
Does a 300C resemble a Bentley?Whis is better?Which is a bigger Co?
Does that new POS Caddy 2 seater car resemble a Benz SL model?

I could go on and on

Bigger companys steal **** all the time
Fvck Willy Wonka,he stole the ummpaloompas ideas anyways
sorry *** midgets

Echo42987
07-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Happens every day and vice versa..Theres exceptions to every rule,but no way no how does Harmon or Bose know how to make a better speaker than Focal,Seas,Morel etc

Yeah but Harmon and Bose don't really need to because they have such a high end name. Bose doesn't need to change their marketing at all because EVERYONE knows who they are....They could make there stuff sound worse and still get more profits...

lol but I see your point and it could go either way!

But I still want to get ahold of the Polk SR's. I have Polk towers and surround in my basemant and absolutley lover the Soung Quality they have. It can't be beaten IMO. It's truly incredible!

-Nick-

Ignatowski
07-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Yeah but Harmon and Bose don't really need to because they have such a high end name. Bose doesn't need to change their marketing at all because EVERYONE knows who they are....They could make there stuff sound worse and still get more profits...

lol but I see your point and it could go either way!

But I still want to get ahold of the Polk SR's. I have Polk towers and surround in my basemant and absolutley lover the Soung Quality they have. It can't be beaten IMO. It's truly incredible!

-Nick-

They are good speakers none the less,overpriced IMO

OldOneEye
07-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Figured I would merge your posts.

Have you ever been to a large companies R & D department? I've been to Rockford Fosgate, Directed and Miteks to name a few. How much has Morel's design changed in the last several years (not much, still the hexacoil, still the large voicecoil). Very little time is spent "stealing" designs (engineers are a curious lot, they like knowing how stuff works, and they have a budget to buy competitors stuff to see how it ticks... for the most part, amplifier and speaker design have been in the same place for decades), most time is spent coming up with new ideas.

As for knowing 10 times as much, who do you tink Harman hires? When they go shopping for talent, they get the best they can find. Gary Biggs, Mark Eldridge type of caliber. The sales manager I deal has been quoted so many times in trade magazines they might as well make him a associate editor. So even if the guys at Morel know 2 times as much, they get buried when a big competitor has 10 times the engineers and six sigma guys figuring every place they can make better product more profitably.

The speaker guy at Directed won several Grand Prix awards for products he designed over the years. Again, big companies who "steal".

Polk Audio product got reviewed by a guy who is also a consultant (and has done consulting for Polk Audio). So I'll call a spade a spade and say that while the guy knows more about product than most reviewers (how its designed, etc.) he probably has some internal bias to deal with versus bias from other guys.

Keep in mind products that don't advertise heavily (or are more reliant on measurements) still get very good reviews. Image Dynamics got a great review for the ID Max 12. One of the last issues had a sub review that basically said it was one of the best subs they have ever tested.

Bad reviews, they might never get published. I think Rob Hephner (the guy at CarSound magazine) mentioned that a certain shape of sub never got a published review because didn't do well. Other items had similar fates. Product that doesn't do well doesn't get published. They aren't consumer reports.

Ferrari is owned by Fiat. If you have ever driven an older Ferrari versus a new one, or have worked on one you will see a change in Philosophy. Did an Aston Martin or a new Jaguar. In initial quality and Scion XB will probably eat a Ferrari for lunch. But that isn't what people care about at that price point or that brand.

I would disagree with your arguement about 75% of the time. Just because a company doesn't make high end product (and trust me, Harman does, Mitek makes stuff that went on the space shuttle), doesn't mean there engineers can't. Again, look at the Ford GT. The marketing and sales guys are the guys who decide what they will make or not make based on how much they think they can sell.

Polk Audio's product is their own design, trickled down from their home line. It isn't a Morel, or a Dynaudio, or a off the shelf, sourced from some chinese manufacturer that everyone else gets it.

Not defending Polk per say, just pointing out that the little guys still face the same laws of supply/demand, physics, economies of scale, invisible hand, etc. that the big guys do.

Juan

Does a 300C resemble a Bentley?Whis is better?Which is a bigger Co?
Does that new POS Caddy 2 seater car resemble a Benz SL model?

I could go on and on

Bigger companys steal **** all the time
Fvck Willy Wonka,he stole the ummpaloompas ideas anyways
sorry *** midgets

Beat_Dominator
07-08-2006, 02:05 PM
:word:

A note though, Dynaudio and Morel, and Seas....are all forign companies. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they get the BEST of the Best in europe. Of course some will cross the pond but in all I bet the engineering talents are surprisingly close. Then there are companies like JmLab/Focal over there that are pretty massive in their own right.

But yes, Harman's R&D is probably one of the best out there. Ferraris/Jags/Astons/Rolls' ALL were known to fall apart back before they let themselves be consummed by larger corps.

Gary S
07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
All good companies, big or small, are going to copy other inventions where it's legal and not patented... it's a natural part of competition; moreover, it's a natural part of human learning to watch how someone else does it, and then copy that and improve upon it. How do you think you learned to talk? - you watched lips and listened, and then imitated. All the better manufacturers are learning from each other and improving on previous inventions.

What disturbs me is that too many products are the same, "me too" products... it's as if some audio products are turning into comodities... the biggest differences seem to be cosmetic... (and woofers that look like car wheels, LOL!) as an example, amps on the outside can look very different... but on the inside, most are the same... try to find an amp that is not tri-mode anymore, with an inverter permanently wired in one channel... I'd like somebody to name just one amp that is not a trimode design... I'm betting there is not one out there... which means all the amps out there today are essentially Rockford Fosgate clones... even the Asian companies went the way of Fosgate!!!! But home audiophiles would laugh at those designs.

bri487
07-09-2006, 03:58 AM

Juan

zapco only has esb of italy.

OldOneEye
07-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Is ESB of Italy a $5.5 billion company? Harman is. Heck, to give you an idea they are worth 150 times more than Rockford Fosgate, and Rockford Fosgate is a pretty big company with a pretty sorted product offering and engineering team.

If you told me we were talking about the software industry, where one giant just buys everyone else (or steals their designs and invite them to sue so they can bankrupt them in legal fees) I would agree.

But there is alot of engineering going on, and companies you are referring to aren't just standing still (I will say this, JL Audio is smaller than Rockford (I'm guessing) and they beat them to market with the Clean Sweep), Rockford is smaller than Harmon International, and they beat them to market with the 3Sixty processors. Harman has one they are going to ship in the next few months that will do what what the clean sweep and 3Sixty do and even more. It might seem they are "copying" each other, but based on development times and what have you they are all just responding to the market.

Juan

zapco only has esb of italy.