PDA

View Full Version : Good size turbo on a 2.3L I4?

bumpin_blazer
07-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Well I'm thinking the stock turbo's will be gone within 4 weeks of when I get the speed6 i'm getting this month. I'm wondering what kind of turbo setup I could upgrade to for maximum hp and torque without hurting the engine to much. I know the stock turbo's are ran at 12-15psi so that'll be where i run the new one's at. Any input would be great.

bumpin_blazer
07-06-2006, 03:10 AM
anyone?

Skip01
07-06-2006, 04:47 AM
Depends on what u want?
You want small fast spoolin,fast repsonse,less power turbo
Or big late spool,Laggy,top end freeway pullin car turbo.

You can have best of both words but its gonna cost a good bit.

Any idea where you wanna take this car,daily driver or strip?
Just a lil more info.
And this is a Mazda Speed Protege right?

IrTehL33T@DBeez
07-06-2006, 01:37 PM
^^^^ x2

theres not some magic turbo that fits every possibly imaginable category of performance perfectly, its always a balance and compromise to have it perform optimally for your usage

keep in mind 12 psi with one turbo can be worlds of difference of 12psi on a different turbo

you'll need to figure out what kind of additional power handling capabilities the factory equipment has, and not forget supporting mods as well

addisdar
07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Check the enthusiast forums for the car. You'll find the answer there.

bumpin_blazer
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Depends on what u want?
You want small fast spoolin,fast repsonse,less power turbo
Or big late spool,Laggy,top end freeway pullin car turbo.

You can have best of both words but its gonna cost a good bit.

Any idea where you wanna take this car,daily driver or strip?
Just a lil more info.
And this is a Mazda Speed Protege right?

god no on the speed protege that car was gay. this is the speed6. i'd prefer a mix of both i don't want a late spool as i'd want to then put n2o to make it spool faster or assist in it and i don't want that. i want a mix of both but i might just keep the stock one's for a while.

dbhittin
07-06-2006, 05:12 PM
T3/T4 would be good and can make up to 500hp..but u have to see what manifolds they make for that car and what turbo bolts up to it

heyman421
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
gt28rs, t3 is ancient and laggy, and the t3/t4 was originally created by turbonetics as a single-turbo conversion for a supra twin turbo (large motor) you probably wouldn't be happy with it on a 4, people put them on 1.8t's, and they kick in at like 4k-redline, i'd take a wider powerband > peak power any day, unless you're gonna cusomtize the tranny, or at least change your final drive..

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
imo go with this....
http://www.dezod.com/pd_garrett_gt3071r.cfm

but for your viewing pleassure's/list of many different turbos...

http://www.dezod.com/cat_turbos.cfm

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
in all honesty i think itll be more then quick enough for a year or so...i would do other stuff like exhaust....intake.......higher flowing intercooler and pipping..... aem ems...bigger injectors....high flow fuel pump...because if your gonna do a bigger turbo you are gonna have to have this stuff at a minimum before you think of swapping turbos....otherwie youll notice little if any difference...really if you do the stuff listed i wouldent doubt youll be in the 300+ wheel horse power range...just upgrading the turbo I doubt youll gain much if any....and remember the speed six has like 190-200 whp stock so this gain will deffinitaly be noticeable.....

bumpin_blazer
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
gt28rs, t3 is ancient and laggy, and the t3/t4 was originally created by turbonetics as a single-turbo conversion for a supra twin turbo (large motor) you probably wouldn't be happy with it on a 4, people put them on 1.8t's, and they kick in at like 4k-redline, i'd take a wider powerband > peak power any day, unless you're gonna cusomtize the tranny, or at least change your final drive..

that's more of what i'm going for. something that doesn't kick in at top end and only last for 2k rpms until i redline and have to shift. i'd take something that'll spool up a little quicker and still have good overall power.

heyman421
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
the gt28r is 1/2 the price, as well, and flows a little better into the high end....

it depends on how early you want it to kick in, is all

both of 'em are ball bearing turbos, tho, very efficient for their size

and if it's done right, you're not gonna need nitrous, trust me

bumpin_blazer
07-06-2006, 05:29 PM
in all honesty i think itll be more then quick enough for a year or so...i would do other stuff like exhaust....intake.......higher flowing intercooler and pipping..... aem ems...bigger injectors....high flow fuel pump...because if your gonna do a bigger turbo you are gonna have to have this stuff at a minimum before you think of swapping turbos....otherwie youll notice little if any difference...really if you do the stuff listed i wouldent doubt youll be in the 300+ wheel horse power range...just upgrading the turbo I doubt youll gain much if any....and remember the speed six has like 190-200 whp stock so this gain will deffinitaly be noticeable.....

i've read the whp is in the 210-225 range on the speed6 but i could be wrong. i already planned on doing all that was mentioned before i touched the turbo though. i was doing the same with my dakota before it was totalled. all i had left to buy was r/t heads and i was ready to put all my parts on and be running low 13's in my truck, luckily it was all still in box's and not installed as i got a 100% refund on all the gear.

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
trust me if it is any thing like the evo youll be more then content with doing those other things before swapping the turbo....if your gonna do this promise me youll invet in the aem ems and a proper tune by a pro...I gained 60whp on the evo with just the aem ems....and a tune...

heyman421
07-06-2006, 05:34 PM
ya, any idea whether that car uses mechanically controlled boost or electronically controlled boost?

if it's electronically controlled, i'm sue you could gain a ton of hp just by tuning or upgrading your software

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
im pretty sure its electronically controlled....not 100% though...

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:39 PM
man i miss having a turbo car...id love to do a sr20det in a 240sx....mmmmm

heyman421
07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
ya, turbo cars are nice if you're into tuning....

only problem is along with all that 'free software' comes the risk of blowing your turbo/ruining your engine just by overtuning...

i had a 1.9 tdi in my jetta, and bought some crap ebay software, and upgraded my injectors, and the software wasn't meant for the larger injectors, and i blew my turbo to shreds within 40 miles!!!! It's never run the same after that :(

bumpin_blazer
07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
anyone want to provide links for specific parts for a broken foot fellow ca.com member:D? i'd look but i've taken another pain med for my foot and am getting sorta loopy. man the more i read on this car the more i realize anyone saying it's a ford focus is an absolute moron lol. 5 brownie points if anyone can guess it's build house and for which vehicle it shares common aspects with the most.

on the electronically controlled turbo or not, but I know they are Hitachi Warner turbo's not precise on model but i'll find out.

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:45 PM
that *****...yeah you gotta be careful...thats why i recomend a pro tune it...I spennt $1500+ just getting it tuned then i spent 1700 on the ems....but it is a worthy investment.....

Skip01
07-06-2006, 05:49 PM
It usually only $200-500 for a dyno tune and street tune.
$1500+ just on tuning.....they took you for a ride.

But yes tuning is everything.Im sure with just bolt-ons,bigger injectors,and a few more lbs youll be more than happy.
Turbo cars make power so easy its not fair to us non-turboed 4cyls.

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
ya knoe what aem doesnt make a ems for your car yet...maybe a greddy e-manage+ profec E01??

http://www.dezod.com/cat_greddy.cfm

spudracer326
07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
It usually only $200-500 for a dyno tune and street tune.
$1500+ just on tuning.....they took you for a ride.

But yes tuning is everything.Im sure with just bolt-ons,bigger injectors,and a few more lbs youll be more than happy.
Turbo cars make power so easy its not fair to us non-turboed 4cyls.

reaon being I kept adding stuff and getting re tuned...initial tune was 600....also I flew out the tuner that worked on my car...

Skip01
07-07-2006, 01:32 AM
reaon being I kept adding stuff and getting re tuned...initial tune was 600....also I flew out the tuner that worked on my car...

Ohhhhh,big ballin right there:eek:

What was the final numbers?Good driveability?